2012/03/22

Dear You... (FFwD: Chocolate Sables)

Dear You,

Hi!

We’ve had this one way friendship-thing going for a while now. So, I feel like you won’t be too offended if I don’t talk about cookie making and how grumpy it makes me (psst – cookie eating makes me happy – let’s be clear about that…). I promise, we’ll talk about food in another post. Deal?
Since we have been hanging out together for so long, let’s get to know each other.

Ok, I’ll start; but please jump in at any time. Conversations are always better when they are two-way.


First of all, if you haven’t figured it out, I am kind of a nerd-geek. In some areas, I have managed to overcome this; but at my core, I have not crossed the cool border. I am okay with that now; in junior high – not so much. Excel spreadsheets make me happy – as long as they’re not too complicated. Then they make me unhappy.
Oh, speaking of high school – please don’t judge – but I was a cheerleader. Yes, I touted the pom poms (BEHAVE – it wasn’t like that. We wore turtlenecks, long sleeved sweaters and culottes). I jumped and climbed and did the gymnastics stuff. For six years. Six years, I tell you. I even broke my nose (unfortunate incident standing on someone’s shoulders – they fell down and forgot to let go of my leg). To people who say cheer leading isn’t a sport, lemmetellyou it totally is. At least it was in our school. We were down right serious about it – no prima donas on our squad.

Anyhoo. People tell me that I am too serious, probably just a by-product of my oh-so-conservative nature. But, there are those who think I am not conservative enough. Making everyone happy is just too complicated. So I gave up on that. Apparently, I am a bit of a “free spirit” – whatever that means. The Dude thinks I am a bit “granola” (which is probably code for “rural”).
I buy weird stuff at the grocery store. It makes me giddy. I once had a cashier ask me if I was one of them “durned hippies”. Which was really funny, because I had just come from work and I think I was wearing a suit. I am guessing it had something to do with all my purchases being from the produce & natural foods section of the store…

Speaking of happy and not happy. When I went to college, I thought I wanted to be a teacher. I was a history major (with a chemistry minor – see, I told you I was weird). I quickly figured out that teaching was NOT going to make me happy. Through a strange & convoluted path, I ended up in the field of logistics & transportation. I love my job, but it definitely adds a weird factor to my life. I have all sorts of amusing anecdotes from my work world - the best is probably the naked truck driver story. I'll save that one for another day...

When I explain what I do for a living to people, I usually get the “three-headed alien” look, so I usually don’t. Sometimes I travel for work. But it’s not glamorous. Truck terminals and rail yards are SO not in the “fancy” parts of town. Thought you would like to know that.
Of course, you know about The Runner Girl & The Karate Kid. They are good eggs. Even if they do cause me to want to pull my hair out at regular intervals. The Runner Girl’s a senior – which means we are college hunting. Still. College searches are rough. I think we’ve got it almost figured out. I hope. The Karate Kid’s a junior – which means I’ll have to do this again next year. I guess that makes me kind of old. But not older than dirt. I think I have a few more years before I can claim that. I probably have to at least hit 40…
Now that we’re caught up, how are things with you?

Hugs,
Cher

P.S. I made cookies. Cocoa sables. They looked obscene wrapped up in plastic logs in my refrigerator. Much less so once they were sliced and baked.

P.P.S. Did you know that if you add a handful of graham crackers to a batch of brownies - they get all soft and awesome? Marshmallows optional, but recommended. Just had to share that.

This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie. Next week, I'll be back to our regularly scheduled programming to talk about crab & grapefruit salad. Hint - we liked it... (after I omitted the ingredients we didn't like...)

37 comments:

  1. You make me smile so much Cher. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHA! The logs DID look obscene all wrapped up, didn't they? Fascinated by the graham cracker/brownie phenomenon. Must investigate.
    Enjoyed the read.
    -Your nerd-geek cyberfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Cher

    It is always great to be reminded of who is the person on the other side of the camera and the text box. We get to commiserate over month-end close, laugh over kitchen mishaps, and realize there are more nerd-geeks like us out there. Thank you for putting yourself out there and inspiring me to do the same.

    I rolled out my dough and it is still in the freezer. But thanks for the mental picture... NOT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't care what other people think of you. You rock Cher! I love your silliness. Thanks for letting us in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You crack me up, no you can not be a hippie in a suit, you need an Indian bed spread wrapped around your body! I didn't get to see the obscene dough rolls because I skipped that step;-) Your cookies look so good on the baking sheet, I wish I had one or two right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you're very witty - but, then, again, I'm a nerd! I didn't know I was a nerd until my husband told me I was. I don't dress like a nerd, but you know I get excited about birds & starfish! I have trouble describing my job, too - since the government is it's own little world with it's own language.

    In order to be a real hippie, I think you need to move to Northern CA, quit shaving your legs (and pits), and become a vegan!

    I realized some time ago that I wasn't like everyone else - hey, at least we've got each other! Have a wonderful weekend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I was a vegetarian for a few years - I think many people found that suspicious :-)
      And while I don't live in N. CA, I am close to the VT border...

      Delete
  7. I did not know the graham cracker trick with the brownies. Thanks for the tip! Your sables look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I would certainly love to share a cup of coffee, or three, and a plate of these sables and get to know you further. I have a hunch you are even more intriguing than you are in these pages. Fantastic post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Obscene is definitely the right word. I was glad I didn't have to explain the giant brown log in the fridge to anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Cher,

    We LOVE you! Hippy, nerd-geek, cookie-baker-hater and all... You totally brighten up my days with your 'seriousness'. In fact, these sables look rather good too. Sliced, that is :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cher, 1) Majorette, not cheerleader,( a little too plump to do high jumps off the floor and NO ONE wanted me on their shulders); 2) The older I get, the cooler I become. My opinion, only. In school, I was, in a word, Bossy, so I was elected to run everything! Loved that. 3) I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the UPS Logistics ads. 4) Our family owns a truck line. My brother has software that can track his fleet wherever it is. Our family motto: "If You've Got It, a Truck Brought It". 5) Looking for, Choosing, Filling out Applications, and Waiting for Refusals, Wait Listing and Acceptances were the WORST, WORST, WORST childrearing times of my life. TWICE. 6) My cookies were square. How in the world did everyone get perfect rounds? Mary http://www.lightsonbrightnobrakes.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! Someone who wouldn't look at me too funny :-)

      Delete
  12. Cher, My husband calls me the house geek! I AM older than dirt and lean towards the left! I remember fondly, when I took my daughter out looking for the perfect college…such fun!
    A terrific post…it’s nice to learn a little about the people we visit each week!
    By the way…beautiful sables!

    ReplyDelete
  13. First, let me say, if it were not for Tricia and her boys, a lot of food would go to waste.
    Hopefully, they really enjoy it and she is not trying to please me. Secondly, even
    though my job title was bookkeeper/secretary/administrative assistant, whatever,
    working for a truss building company and wearing a hard hat is not glamorous.
    I survived and have been happily retired for 17 years. Back to the Cocoa sablés, yours
    look great. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nana - I spent several years rocking the hardhat. You are right - no glamour there & a lot of really bad hair days :-)

      Delete
  14. Love your post today, and totally agree with you about the obscene part, I decided not to take a picture at that stage.

    And me, I think that I would probably qualify as crunchy too. Even in a suit. I don't believe in flat out restrictions, but I do try to buy organic and pay attention to where my food comes from. I actually grew up macrobiotic, and then vegetarian, and then some mix of the two. And then in college I decided, to heck with that, and went to the opposite extreme. But slowly, over time, I have returned to a healthier diet, but still with no restrictions. There are just way too many delicious things to taste in life.

    ReplyDelete
  15. fun post, as always! I was a cheerleader in jr high and quickly decided i didn't want to spend any more time around the typical cheerleader types so I didn't continue on to high school. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL - I need to hear the naked truck driver story now. Your sables turned out fab- you're right, those chocolate logs look like they belong in the loo - ahem. Your brownie add- ins sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I friggin' love your posts. Your cookies ended up looking great, though I agree that the dough "logs" were a bit obscene.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cher, you have such a great voice...I feel like you're in the room with me chatting :) And I love that you make me laugh. Anyway, great looking cookies, my friend. And thanks for the tip on jazzed up brownies...a MUST try! Have a fabulous weekend... I'm going on spring break with my senior,hubby and daughter tomorrow(wish he'd decide on where he's going next year...waiting on 3 more schools!).

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cher, Catching up with your posts is definitely a high point of the week. You're in good company as a nerd-geek in this crowd, I'm there with you. Early in my career, I worked at automating factories, and travelled a lot. Factories aren't glamourous either. Who can get excited about a trip to Peoria? Great cookies, and I agree they are obscene in the plastic wrap, but less obscene than unwrapped. I actually put a picture in my post, I hope I didn't offend anyone. Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love it when the cashier at the grocery store gets freaked out by what I buy! The cookies look good (as actually cookies, I know what you mean about the logs of dough in the fridge!!)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love how people end up in some job that they'd not only never considered in high school, they'd never even heard of in high school. Our investment club (speaking of things you'd never imagine doing in high school) looked at transportation stocks for a couple of months, and found out all kinds of fascinating things about transportation and logistics. Interesting field. And nice cookies too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I got so involved with reading your post that I completely forgot it was about cookies! Great post, Cher, and thank you for taking us along with you. Your cookies turned out great and I am going to have to try your brownie tip. Hope you are having a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Enjoyed your sharing. Its seems the kids grow up overnight and then want to get all independent on us! Which is what we want eventually but it kinda ratchets up the worry factor. Like my son that wants to join the Marines.....it's enough to make me and husband eat too many cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  24. These cookies and a cup of tea are a perfect way to enjoy this post, Cher. Nice getting to know you a little better!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mahhhhvelous looking sables....I loved your post & totally understand your occupation. My son is a marine engineer with minors in logistics in shipping transport. We always hung out in the marine dock/ freight loading areas....ummm, not pretty but so necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I always enjoy reading your posts, they make me smile :) Nice to get to know you a little bit more this week and yummy cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your cookies make me cheer...perfect. I always love baking cookies; my family teases me that I regularly use 12 baking sheets...all with silicone liners. Prized possession. And I have a son-in-law who calls me a hippy. Loved this post...fun to get to know you better.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Too funny! A lot of my coworkers call me a nerd (kind of a term of endearment considering what they call each other), something I have been known almost my whole life (I have embraced it now)! Can't wait to hear some of your stories from work : ) BTW, the cookies look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Awesome post. I think you and I would get along swell in real life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought those rolls of cookie dough looked a bit obscene! I enjoyed reading your post. Even though you are younger than me, you are way ahead of me in child-rearing - my daughter is a second-grader!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Cher!

    Thats what people tell about me too, some say I am too freespirit like and some say I am conservative. you can never make everyone happy! For us chearleading is something totaly unknown and very american. lol I can imagine though that not anybody can make a tower and those jumps.

    Your choco sables look like my type of food. I guesse those wouldnt survive 12 houres in my house. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Say whaaaaaat? You got to be a cheerleader and now you get to play with trucks - this is like a scenario for American Pie, I mean American Dream :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. You are a riot Cher! I love your unique personality SO much! You ALWAYS make me smile no matter how I'm feeling. Thanks for letting me get a bit better glimps into who you are behind the cooking and baking. I already knew you were a master there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great post! So interesting to read more about you. I'm so jealous that you love your job, it does sound really interesting....I agree, the logs of cookie dough did look obscene :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.