2012/03/15

Drama, Drama, Drama (FFwD: Cheese Souffle)

As the mother of two teen-aged girls (almost 18 and 16 1/2), I feel as if I am in a good position to talk about drama.

Seriously. If they gave out degrees in drama watching, I have at least earned my Masters - if not a Doctorate.

Dude, the world of teen aged girls is not simple.


If you aren't blessed with teen aged girls (or if you have some that will eventually become teen aged), spend some time watching ABC Family on a Monday or Tuesday evening. If you can do so without succumbing to the urge to start smacking your head repeatedly against the wall, you will get a glimpse into a world that is sure to cause night terrors in even the sturdiest of us.

And, lemmetellyou, TV drama is NOTHING compared to reality.



The new boyfriends. The break ups. The girl friends. The fights (if you are lucky, they won't involve hair pulling). The making up. The "she-said", "she-said". Facebook. Text messaging. The way too instant ability to communicate during periods of emotional instability. The mood swings. The mood swings.
Outside of The Exorcist, I have never witnessed anything quite like The Mood Swings. One moment, life is good and everyone is happy. A nano-second later, that sweet sugar and spice is any thing but. And you are left wondering. Who? What? Where? When? Why?  WHY??? I haven't witnessed actual projectile vomiting or head spinning, but I would not be surprised if some others of you have. Nope. Would not be surprised at all.

Oh, and just when you think that you need to find the nearest fallout shelter to hunker down in before the getting maimed by the shrapnel, another moment passes (or a few hours depending on the trigger) and it is as if nothing ever happened. Mind boggling, I tell you. Mind boggling.

Yes, the life of a teen-aged girl is a never-ending parade of drama. Highs and lows. Complications all around.


Hang in there with me. There's a point coming soon.

I have come to a conclusion. Souffle's are a lot like teen aged girls.

A lot of fussy complicated pieces coming together. That have to be handled "just so".


If you handle everything right, you may be rewarded with a lovely airy creation that is sure to impress (for at least the first five seconds it comes out of the oven). Or you might end up with something that makes you wonder what happened.

It should be mentioned that this is my first time in souffle territory. I was dubious about my success. I didn't have a "proper" dish, so I shoved everything into ramekins. Kitchen distractions were abundant, so I am not even sure I followed all the steps correctly. I know I left them in the oven too long. And somehow, it all worked out.

Perhaps if I had been less distracted, something horrendous would have happened. Sometimes, it is good to not over think things. (In my parenting role, I have discovered that it is often to my advantage to not think too much about some things. Way less drama that way!)

The verdict: they were tasty enough, but I don't think I will venture into souffle territory of my own free will very often. I am sure they will come up again as part of some other challenge somewhere down the road and that will be soon enough for me. I can say that I have been there, done that and be content - the work to reward ratio just wasn't there.

The grueyere and comte resulted in a lovely product, but I didn't feel like doing cartwheels or backflips after eating (that would have been too dramatic anyway). Next time I have a hankering for eggs and cheese, I'll make an omelet.


One blogger posts the recipe for Dorie's cheese souffle here.

This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie - hop on over and check out everyone else's dramatic souffles!

40 comments:

  1. I guess the upside to dramas is that there is no time for boredom:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is true. I am rarely, if ever, bored :-)

      Delete
  2. Agreed! I do want to try out at least one more interesting souffle at some point, but this one just reminded me of omelettes. Oh well. At least you didn't have a kitchen disaster on your hands!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to know, Cher - I'm making mine tonight. I think I'll add some fresh herbs as I'm not a fan of eggs for their own sake.

    Your post made me laugh! I don't have kids, but helped my brother, who was a single parent, raise my niece & nephew. Sometimes, she cried so hard that I was a fraid she couldn't breathe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can only imagine what it's like to be a mom to two teen-aged girls. Hats off to you!
    Your souffles turned out great. At least now you can say you made some!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your souffles look good, all browned and puffed up. Too bad you weren't that crazy about them, for all the work that goes into making them. I love omlettes, I think that's my favorite way to enjoy eggs. I was planning on making my souffle this weekend, it's supposed to pour rain so I thought that might be a good drama-free activity,lol! I had two teenage girls now they're all grown up with children of their own but I remember the drama. Although I have to say my son had a fair amount of his own too;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you used ramekins. I was thinking if I did this for company that's what I'd do so everyone could experience their own deflation - you know? It's definitely a finicky recipe. Totally don't blame you for not wanting to do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yup. I added extra flavor and glad I did. And I understand your drama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Your souffles are lovely and your post is fun, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, since mine did not really look like they were supposed to and the drama was, indeed, fleeting, this was a little anticlimactic... But yay us!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. AS the mother of only one daughter, I hear ya on the drama. Don't know how my parents survived raising 4! Your soufflé looks perfect...I love this! Maybe my pinch of cayenne helped~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha! Great comparison! Your souffle looks tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! I don't have kids but I remember being a teen girl quite vividly ... if we had Facebook and Twitter and cell phones back then I don't think I would have made it out in one piece. Your souffles look lovely

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never having had children, but having been around plenty (enough to suit me), I can attest to the weird teen phenomenon: a child reaches [whatever age] and they become these unrecognizable, hormone- and insanity-driven beings that I, as not-their-parent, want little to do with. This goes on for years. Then they reach [whatever age] and it's like it all never happened. In a blink, they go back to being the person you knew back when - joyful, humorous, thoughtful shy [insert qualities you loved about them] and ... stable. It's amazing to me that parents survive those monster years. Seriously. Hats off, and virtual {hug}.

    Anyhoo ... you should try a dessert souffle sometime. I like them better than savories. Just like savory souffles have muted flavors, sweet souffles are also muted ... but in a good way, if you like your sweets taken down a notch.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very funny! I am the proud (usually) mom of tweens - and the drama has already started :)

    Great post

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your teenagers are lucky to have a mom that takes it all with a grain of salt and keeps a level head in the midst of all that drama. I don't have kids, so just observe the drama with nieces and friends' girls. I liked the souffle, though I was on edge the whole time. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cher, Your souffles look beautiful…sorry they were not a favorite! We really enjoyed them and I will be making them again!
    Your stories about raising teenage girls is very funny...I raised 3 teenagers(1 girl and 2 boys). And all I can say is “This too shall pass”!! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hubby and I enjoyed this one, very tasty. Yours looks great. Love your story of
    raising two teenagers, and as Kathy said, "This too shall pass", We are now watching
    two teen boys, (Tricia's) and two teen girls, my son's, and as they say about
    grandparents, at least we can go home. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are so right about the drama of teenaged girls! Mine are adults now, and so nice to be around. It's worth the aggravation. I thought the souffles were worth the aggravation too, but then I love eggs and cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hang in there Cher. I survived 2 teenage girls (barely). They are now 38 and 35. So I'm behind on doing this souffle because of spring break (4 grand kids = the payoff for teenage girls), I thought I'd look at your post to see how much effort this was. I think I'll do them tomorrow and not rush it. Yours do look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I grew up with 2 sisters...drama, drama, is right! The funny thing is between the 3 of us we had 6 sons...WAY LESS stress!

    Your souffles look great!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I only have sons so missed out on the girl drama. Boys can have drama but I don't think it compares to the girls. I'm kind of sorry I didn't get to experience that... You're souffles look great. I have made several over the years and find I always like the idea of souffle more than the actual souffle itself.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fun post today. Some dishes really are quite temperamental and fussy, so the comparison seems apt.

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOL - true, this was just like glorified scrambled eggs to me. Yours turned out well, despite the high drama in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  23. ABC family? lol never heard before. In my teeange years we used to watch 7th heathen and charmed. those were realy crazy times... I am not a mother but nowadays I understand that I was realy stupid and stubborn and my parents had surely a hard time. I agree too, souffle is difficult to manage at times too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Before I get down to the serious business of discussing soufflés; let's talk teen-age girls. The comparison is slightly accurate although making a soufflè-a-day would be way, way, way easier than raising two girls. I've been there and done that........ before Facebook, iPhones and texting. I've received more than my share of heavy signs, rolling of the eyes, heavy stomped feet retreating to the bedroom (Don't you dare slam your door!"). Cher, there is payback. Your girls will, probably have girls of their own to raise in the far-future. As the Grandmother, you can laugh, hoot and snicker as you come and go into their lives. My Melissa has two young daughters, 8 and 10, you are going on 15 and 16. You won't believe......... And, I am enjoying every moment of it. Oh, by the way, nice Post. Mary Hirsch http://www.lightsonbrightnobrakes.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. Drama, oh boy, do we know drama. There are days when we ask each other which daughter will be coming downstairs: that smart, funny, loving girl we've loved all these years or the sarcastic, angry, eye-rolling teenager that seems to invaded our daughter's body. We see the former just often enough to hold out hope that the latter will fade away. Thank you for reminding me that we are not alone in this journey through the growing up and away stage. Actually I found the souffle much less dramatic. Of course, I've never seen one deflate spectacularly either. We did enjoy ours but it could have used a little something: I thought the cheese flavor needed to be stronger. Now I want to try a chocolate souffle. We had a memorable one at a small French restaurant early in a marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  26. They certainly look lovely! I really enjoyed this recipe, mostly because I'd always been intimidated by the idea of making a soufflé.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I can only IMAGINE The drama of two girls in their teens. I LOVE the honesty in your post. I'll stick to omelets as well. I'm impressed with your souffle nonetheless though!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love your post - hearing you talk about your girls is prepping me for the future. I also remember my sister speaking of "interesting" times with her two teenage girls. At least just one is only 1/2 the hormones! And you souffles look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great post, however a little frightening as I have a 9 year old daughter who already has little drama moments. Congrats on being able to create a beautiful souffle in the midst of it all!

    ReplyDelete
  30. They are beautiful - the souffles I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm smiling thinking about how had you liked this just a bit more you would have actually done a cartwheel or backflip. I think these look great and not overdone in the slightest.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Yours came out beautifully - the mini ramekins are so pretty. Sorry you weren't so impressed, I think I just like anything with egg and cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  33. We are both high school teachers so we get the analogy. But your souffles came out really nice! Love your dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  34. You opened the door for all of us with teenage drama in the house to let off a little sigh of relief (we are not alone!). I have teenage boy drama which involves car drama, xbox drama, facebook drama, friends and girl drama! Guess it won't go away even when he graduates this year from high school.

    Oh and let me add that your souffles look magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This souffle is mouth watering, wow! And teenage girls, hah! Enough said lol At least this gorgeous cheesy souffle was there for you after dealing with what sounds like a rough day. Hope you had a great weekend =]

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your souffles look wonderful! I really like the ramekins that you used. John banned me from the kitchen last week because I had a cold, so I didn't get to make these and will have to make them later. Just want to let you know that the drama doesn't end when they go off to school and become an 'adult'. :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Ha- loved your teenage tales!! I too have survived & lived to tell about it- although I have to admit mine were boys; but we sure had some wild & rowdy stuff going on sometimes....they are now 2 fine young men- so hang tight girl & retreat to the kitchen when possible. Your souffles are lovely- I will be late with mine but have planned it for this week.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I remember The Mood Swings - my poor mother got really scared a couple of times. I'll deal with the drama of the soufflé today.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.