2012/04/01

Just blend it... (Almond Milk)

If you look in the "beverage" section of the refrigerator at our house, this is what you would probably find: two half-gallon cartons of organic 1% milk, a half gallon of OJ (if you are lucky), a partial bottle of Moscato and almond milk.

The cow milk is for The Karate Kid and her never ending desire for a bowl of cereal (she also drinks the stuff straight up - something I haven't been able to do for a couple of decades). The OJ is the breakfast drink of choice. The bottle of Moscato - well, we don't really need to talk about that, now do we? In fact, scratch that one from the record. And the almond milk is The Runner Girl's beverage of choice.

Once in a while, something else might find its way in there; but those are the staples. 



Now, I am a back of the carton reader - which has led me down many an odd road. (Like this and this and even this.) Reading the backs of most cartons of almond milk left me feeling a little - well - it left me feeling a little over-processed.

So, it was probably just the natural progression of things that had me scouring the interwebs to see if there was a better way.


And there was.

Water.

Nuts.

Soak.

Blend.

Strain.

How can it be that simple?

Drink.


My only warning: you probably don't want to process it in the blender at 11:30 at night. People get kind of cranky...

Other than a blender, no special equipment is required. And most of the time is passive. Set the almonds to soak when you head out in the morning. Process at night. Easy. Peasey.

Straight up, in smoothies or substituted it in other places where milk is called for. (Although, if you are going to substitute it in baking, do some research first...) It's all good.


Almond Milk
From Various Internet Sources

1 Cup Raw Almonds
4 Cups Water + Additional Water for Soaking

Place almonds in a medium size bowl. Add enough water to cover almonds by at least an inch. Let almonds soak for at least six hours or as long as twelve. (Almonds will soak up quite a bit of water and will increase in size).

After almonds have soaked, drain off soaking water. Place soaked almonds and four cups of water in a blender and process at the blender's highest speed until well processes - about two minutes.

Strain mixture through a sieve lined with cheesecloth - using a spatula to press liquid from the salads. Strain mixture a second time - this time, don't press down on any remaining solids. (You can strain it a third time for a smoother result.) Transfer to a storage container (I like to use 1 quart canning jars).

Almond milk can be used right away, or stored in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. Shake well before using.

If you like, add  1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla or 1-2 teaspoons agave nectar (or more...) to flavor the milk.

10 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to try this for a long time - thanks for the push. And it will be just in time for fresh strawberry smoothie season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed! You made your own almond milk!
    I've also learnt that late night kitchen activities are not appreciated by the rest of the family :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE homemade nut milk. ANd like you've said, it's just so simple!

    A high capacity blender is important. Not a small one like magic bullet. Just thought to highlight it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point! This does tend to foam up a bit when blending.

      Delete
  4. I have yet to try making almond milk. I suppose there is no need to strain when baking etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I know I am going to bake with it, I don't straing. (Sometimes, when I do strain I save the nut pulp and work it into baking as well.)

      Delete
  5. I love making things like this at home. It never fails to amaze me that we rely on the stores for so many easy to make items! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep meaning to try this, but the almonds always seem to get eaten as snacks or baked in some treat. I'll have to be more careful next time I buy almonds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Last time I bought almond milk I was shocked by the number of ingredients. Thanks so much for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.