2012/04/09

Something about pickles (Pickled Grapes)

Sometimes, you come across a concept and it is so unexpected that even though it shouldn't work, it does.


When something is right, it is right.

For example, grapes. Soaked in a vinegar-sugar brine with cinnamon and peppercorns.

And before you get too freaked out by the concept, think about some of those flavor back notes that might appear in some of your favorite red wines. Pepper and cinnamon may very well show up on the list.


Now these are only moderately fussy to prepare. 1) Boil & cool the brine; 2) Cut the tops off the grapes; 3) Place into canning jars & refrigerate.

If you can boil water and cut up fruit, you are 95% there. And the reward ratio is high.


Now, I know these little guys won't be for every one. And when you tell people what they are, be prepared for the raised eyebrow and the dubious glance.

Personally, I find them highly addictive.

Like grape-crack.

Yes, I am a grape-crack addict. I probably need help.

This is totally the type of food I would eat if I were having a bout of "feeling sorry for myself". And a big bowl of popcorn.

And after the past couple of weeks that I had, I needed some comfort crack.

 

Pickled Grapes
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen

2 pounds red or black grapes (seedless)
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
2 cups granulated sugar
1 Tbs brown mustard seeds
1 1/2 tsp. whole black peppercorns
1 Tbs pink peppercorns
2 (2 1/2-inch) cinnamon sticks
1/2 tsp. salt


Rinse and pat dry the grapes (at this point, you can pull them from their stems or if you are feeling lazy, deal with them right on the vine...I took the lazy route). Using a sharp paring knife, trim away a small section of the stem end of the grape, you want to expose a bit of the flesh of the grapes. Divide the grapes among 2 quart-sized clean, dry canning jars.

In a medium saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then remove from heat and let cool in pan.

Let brine cool to room temperature, then chill in the refrigerator. Pour the chilled brine over the grapes (be sure to put one cinnamon stick in each jar) in their jars and then seal with the lids. Place the jars in the refrigerator for at least eight hours. That's it. You are done...

This recipe can easily be halved - but if you are going to go through all the trouble of cutting those little monsters, you might as well go big. Changing up the vinegars is a fun idea. If you wanted to sub sherry vinegar for the balsamic - go for it. If you have some champagne vinegar taking up space, squee - that would be amazing. If you don't have pink peppercorns - no worries, just use black or whatever you have on hand. Just sayin'

These go really nicely as part of a cheese/ hors d'ouerve course. Leftover brine makes a lovely base for a vinaigrette. Seriously - you should try it.

13 comments:

  1. Only eight hours!? These sound like the perfect after work snack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. Smitten said these really didn't do it for her until she got knocked up. Any news you'd care to share, Cher? ;)

    I'm trying to wrap my head around the flavor. I guess I'll just have to try them, and hope they don't taste like wine (not a fan, except for moscatos).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no, no, no, no, no, no. I just paid the deposit on The Runner Girl's college tuition for next year and her sister is one year behind. No news of that kind pending...

      They don't taste like wine at all - I was just drawing a comparison. They are sweet sour little jewels. I am totally a Moscato girl, but keep the obligatory Malbec and Cab Sauv on hand for The Dude (and for cooking...)

      Delete
    2. LOL! My sympathies goes out to all tuition-paying parents - college expenses are stunning. Just, stunning.

      I think the proof-in-the-pudding is that I thought about them all last night. That guarantees they'll get made.

      Delete
  3. I'm wondering if these would taste good with goat cheese? I think they sound good, sure are a pretty color in the jars;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES! something new to try out, I love your discovery, who had thaught of making pickle of grapes? I am going to have fun trying this out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, this is what food blogging is all about. Smitten Kitchen influence you to try something new. I would definitely try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds very intriguing. I hate most pickled things, but I'm thinking since it's white wine vinegar (I might even swap out for champagne vinegar which is my standby b/c it's softer) mixed with all those cinnamon and spices... Wow! Great post Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cher, I wanted you to know that I love your writing and I've chosen you as the recipient of a Liebster blog award! Come pick it up at http://shoeintheroad.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. How interesting, Cher. I have not had anything like this before, but it sounds like it would be fun to give them a try. How long do they keep?

    P.S. I love the white background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never had them stick around long enough to test it (I think the longest they make it in my house is about 3 days...), but I would try to use them up within 5 days or so.

      Delete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.