2012/04/27

Something New... (Daring Bakers April '12 Challenge: Nazook & Nutmeg Cake)

Okay, I finally find a couple of foods in my cooking endeavours that make me absolutely happy and here I am sitting at the computer with a case of writer's block. 

Crickets chirping...


Apparently, I can wax poetic about making a food item that I am not fond of; but can not put two coherent thoughts together about something I l.o.v.e.d.

Both of these dishes appeared as part of our Easter buffet and they were a huge hit all around.

The Daring Bakers’ April 2012 challenge, hosted by Jason at Daily Candor, were two Armenian standards: nazook and nutmeg cake. Nazook is a layered yeasted dough pastry with a sweet filling, and nutmeg cake is a fragrant, nutty coffee-style cake.


Since all the clever words are failing me,  I am going to take a page from the "grand master of prose" and turn to verse...

Ode to a Nutmeg Cake

O! nutmeg cake, O! nutmeg cake.
I really loved how good you taste.
In a processor you were made.
Then in the oven you were laid.
A short time later you were done.
After you cooled, we all said yum.


Would you Nazook?

This month a pastry named Nazook
Was the dish we could choose to cook.
A cream cheese pastry was created.
And with butter and sugar, this was inundated.
All this was wound up into a log.
Which I tried not eat, like a hog.





This post participates in The Daring Bakers. The recipe for this month's challenge can be found here.

 
Have a great weekend, everyone... I am off to go find my mojo.

15 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this. It sounds delicious. And your poem totally convinced me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the nazook dough similar to rugelauch minus the sugar? The nutmeg cake sounds promising :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little bit like it - but way less complicated (and without the fruit/ nut filling, etc.) As soon as it gets posted over @ DK, I will link to it.

      Delete
  3. I want one of those nazooks right now! They look great, as does the nutmeg cake - especially with the cream on top!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you have your mojo, the proof if in those photos :)) Not to mention the poem... Great job, they look wonderful, I think I'll have some whipped cream with mine as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cher, Perhaps you should stick with songs and not go off on the poetry limb. On the other hand, these are the last few days of Poetry Month so you did honor the genre. I also think it looks like rugelach but without the sugary coating, I guess. On the other hand, Nazook sounds like a dirty word. Don't know if I'd eat it. Nutmeg looks yummy also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved baking both the nazook and the cake and it tasted delicious. Your glaze is just so perfect. You've done a wonderful job on both of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha for someone with writer's block, that's some creative poetry :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh why didn't I have enough time to make the nazook?!
    Everyone's pictures and reviews are making me wish I had some with a cup of tea.
    I hope you find your mojo soon but I thought that for someone with writer's block this is a wonderful post

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL, you are a poet and I didn't know it. You did a great job on both recipes. If the nazook tasted half as good as the cake, I would be impressed, because the cake was heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poetry is way, way harder than just spilling your guts on the page. :) These both look so good! Especially those little rolls - adorable. After FFwD, you deserve deliciousness.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lol! You just described my brain state whenever it's time to post!
    You did a great job, poetry and all!
    Great dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. those nazooks look amazing! perfect and delicious bite size treats, the cake looks pretty good as well but I'm more of a small desserts person :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cher, would you post my link for me? I can't sign on to any wordpress account! I really don't know what to do short of starting a new blog but it has become an issue! Thank you very much!

    http://lolalive2day.blogspot.com/2012/04/twd-hungarian-shortbread.html

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.