2012/05/14

Daring Cooks May '12: Messieurs-Dames: Boeuf Bourguignon!

Some things never go out of style, right?

The perfect pair of black pumps.

A strand of pearls.

A suit that has been tailored to fit just so.

That perfectly cut diamond in a simple setting.

The classic martini.

And boeuf bourguignon a'la Julia...


And like any classic, it reveals itself in a different way each time it makes an appearance. When something is "just right", there's really no need to mess with it.

This is not my first time around with this recipe, but it is probably the first time I made every single component. I felt like a rock star....

Beef has received similar treatment in the form of beef daube or not-quite lamb stew, but there is something about the "Julia treatment" that never goes out of style.


Because I have made this dish before, I was not stressed about understanding the process and was able to pay attention to the details of the process.

Something special happens when you pay attention to the details. The food seems to know.

Blanching and rendering the bacon.

Caramelizing the meat.

Sauteing the vegetables.

Braising the pearl onions (This time around, I finally smartened up and bought the frozen pre-peeled pearl onions. I don't even want to think about how many times I have peeled those annoying little things in the past).

Browning the mushrooms.

Cooking and buttering the noodles.

Nothing was rushed.

Nothing was forced.

Each step happened in its own time and in its own way.

The sum was greater than the pieces.


The only non-serendipitous piece was washing all the dishes. But washing two sinks full of dishes isn't very romantic. And well, this dish should only be spoken of in prose - not practicalities. Enough said on that...

Our May 2012 Daring Cooks’ hostess was Fabi of fabsfood. Fabi challenged us to make Boeuf Bourguignon, a classic French stew originating from the Burgundy region of France.

This post participates in The Daring Cooks. The link to Fabi's post and this month's recipe can be found here.

14 comments:

  1. I just loved reading your post Cher,you are right, when you do things with attention to details and take your time, you enjoy the process and that shines through the finished meal

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think once you learn the process you can do anything. That's one thing I liked about doing this process - understanding what went into it, so I can apply it elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paying attention is the key my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true, when you take time and care with the details, it shows in the final product.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, peeling the onions was a pain-I tried the boil for 3 minutes first which did make them easier to peel. Beautiful BB!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to laugh - I peeled those little onions... and that probably took just as long as any other step! LOL. You did a beautiful job with this dish!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can buy pre-peeled onions?? Noted. That was the only bit I didn't enjoy. Anyway, your boeuf bourguignon look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so impressed, Cher! I have yet to make this classic, but yours looks incredible!

    I have to tell you that I was thinking about you while I was making meat pies last week! Believe me, having "The Little Mermaid" stuck in your head while making Flounder is SO much better than having "Sweeny Todd" stuck in your head while making meat pies! ROFL! (Of course, I couldn't post that on my blog - people might really wonder about me!)

    I think I'm going to have to drop TWD. I didn't get to the Cinnamon Rolls, much to my regret! I'm determined to make up the Fougasse from FFWD, but think 2 clubs are all I can handle right now. "See you" on Friday! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really want to try this dish soon. Yours looks very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Delicious it was and yours look terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did a gorgeous job on the boeuf bourguignon and that you enjoyed the process is even better. Loved the dishes you served the boef in ---- even if you did have to handwash them (which I'm thinkin' you did) Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful job! I love when you can actually take the time to thoroughly appreciate each step - you are right, the food knows and is just so much better than if you rush!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, you have perfectly described the zen of cooking - when it feels that way, everything just falls into place Can't believe I haven't made this ... *hangs head in shame*

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.