2012/05/03

I am having a Little Mermaid moment (FFwD: Flounder Meuniere)

I am going to flat out tell you that I didn't follow the directions for this one. I used almonds, flour, salt, pepper, butter and flounder. But somewhere along the line, I went into auto pilot and stopped reading the recipe.

Sometimes, that just happens to me.

Of course, I have been told that I am not good at following directions on a good day. I suppose that it's only natural to be even worse at it on a bad day.


Am I the only person in the group who kept thinking about The Little Mermaid throughout this recipe? From the time I first picked up the fish from the store, Ariel's aria (I know, that's not really what it's called; but I like the way that sounds) kept popping into my head.

Source: http://www.disneyclips.com

I have to tell you, even as an adult I love this movie - especially the lobster. Oh, that Sebastian was something else - especially the way he tormented the cook. Bwahahaha....  My girls love the movie too, so I TOTALLY get to use them as an excuse to watch it. (Hey, have to use up those parent privileges wherever you can get them.)

In going to the Disney Wiki for "Flounder", the following two statements struck me:
  • "Flounder scares easily, and is prone to panicking under stressful situations, but when Ariel is in trouble, he comes through for her without hesitation."
  • "In the film, he is the only character to give unconditional support for Ariel's fascination with human things."
A friend in need, is a friend indeed. Especially if that friend overcomes personal fears to help you out. I could probably write a whole essay on Mr. Flounder, but I think I will spare y'all from that one on this occasion.


This week, there are no fancy photos. Just crusted fish in a pan. (There was also crusted chicken in the oven for my non-fish eater. She loved it.)

This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie. Head on over to check out what the more compliant FFwDers came up with this week... (I know, I know; I have been a rebel two weeks in a row. I promise that I made the Fougasse as instructed...almost. It felt good to finally get back into my comfort zone)

28 comments:

  1. I don't need the kids around to pop that movie in, lol. I have a following directions problem too, but that is a good thing. I'm in the mood for fish!
    Hope you are having a good week.
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks & sounds like you followed the recipe...I guess the lack of Flounder in CA saved me from Little Mermaid vignettes! But, if you're going to have a movie stuck in your head that's a good one!

    Have a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same problem with following directions. But this recipe sounds terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought the dvd of The Little Mermaid long before I had any thought of having a baby. It was my fave growing up. I have a particularly mortifying incident in my catalogue whereby I was singing Ariel's aria (as you so nicely put it) at the top of my lungs in the shower at camp, but for some reason thought no one would be able to hear me. I found myself earnestly denying that it was me, which only made them ridicule me more. That was not a good day. Oh well, it's still a good movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL - it looks good. I have never seen The Little Mermaid - perhaps I can use your post as my excuse for watching it (ie educating myself!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. My first thought was about cute, little Flounder in the Little Mermaid too...and how sad I was to have to encrust it in almonds this week! Well, I haven't done it yet, I meant to today but the light ran out and my mom bought around burgers for the whole family. So my fish meuniere (it's not flounder) will have to wait till French Saturday to be posted :). Btw, I loved Sebastian too, he somehow reminds me of a temperamental cook!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never The Little Mermaid. Cute characters - just never have taken the time to sit down with it. And about directions, I have to admit that with FFwD, I almost *never* followed the directions. I'd read the recipe once, and then however my brain remembered it, that's how it got made. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your crusted fish looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yea, I had that moment too, and I love Little Mermaid...loved it with my kids and now with the grandkiddies. I also had the memory moments of where I played with flounder while snorkeling and they were fun and friends and.....sometimes it is very hard to cook my friends. Anyway, your meal looks wonderful. I'm glad I'm not the only mental one in this group.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your fish definitely came out beautifully! Can't tell from looking at it that you didn't follow the recipe...Sometimes it's just nice to go on auto pilot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My grandkids love that movie! I do love fish and this flounder was so delicious with the nutty flavor of both the almonds and the browned butter. Yours looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha, I can never follow directions either. Whether it's cooking, driving....
    But it turned out wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Even if you didn't quite follow the directions, it looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great movie - great post!

    Have a nice weekend with your girls!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You made me laugh today. I didn't find flounder at my supermarket so maybe that's why I didn't think of The Little Mermaid until now. It really is a classic.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Little Mermaid was parked in our VCR for years! But since I couldn't find flounder, I kind of forgot about our cartoon friend :) Looks great, Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I didn't think about the Little Mermaid at all :) Nice idea to use this on chicken as well. Whether you followed directions or not, it looks great (and just like the more compliant fishes). Funny that fougasse puts you back in your comfort zone, and, for me, it pushes me out. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for confirming that I was not the only one with Disney Aria's going through my head while making the flounder - Sebastian singing "Under the Sea" - couldn't get that out of my head....one of my favorite Disney's of all time! Oh, and I agree with your comment about this being a "guzzling" sort of dish, no quaffing while cooking this!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cher, I have never seen The Little Mermaid. Bad Mother. Bad Mother. I have been to Disneyland (twice) and Disneyworld (twice) so at least I know who Ariel is. Love the red hair. Also liked this fish recipe. It was good, simple, tasty, easy. BTW, you did a nice job, co-hosting the Hungarian Shortbread. I ate an entire row of the stuff , 4 rather large squares, and I loved every bite.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Every time I do anything with fish I always think of the cook in The Little Mermaid singing "le poisson, le poisson her hee hee has haw haw!" makes me laugh every time!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cher...you always put a smile on my face each time I come here to read your post...I love watching Little Mermaid too with my gal when she was younger and who says adult dont enjoy such movie....I do! back to this dish, you did a good job eventhough you did not read the recipe instructions all the way :) for me I love this dish and shall make this again !

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOL, I was going to take the same picture but ran out of time to take it considering how fast the fish cooked through! :) Great job this week!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love that you didn't follow the instructions! Go Cher Go!

    ReplyDelete
  24. They look great! It's the spirit of the dish that counts and you definitely got some nice crustiness. The chicken sounds good, too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your fish (and chicken) look nice and crusted. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  26. The fish sounds and looks delicious! You cracked me up with the reminder of the movie. I love flounder (the cartoon, I haven't tried the fish!)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Am I the only person left in America who hasn't seen The Little Mermaid? I always planned to see it but somehow haven't. Now I think I should wear my non-seeing proudly. Kind of like having never been to Graceland in spite of being from Memphis. Cher, thanks for the tip to sign out of blogspot before posting in wordpress. It worked!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Haha! Love Little Mermaid. :) Looks like a wonderful dish!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.