2012/05/24

A sticky situation (FFwD: Lyonnaise garlic and herb cheese)

The Runner Girl turns 18 on this French Friday.

I am not sure how I could possibly have an 18 year old. Surely, I was only five when she was born...

Somehow, there is now this person living in my house that started out as a little, floppy, wailing mass who wasn't capable of doing anything more more than eating and pooping (I wish she had been better at sleeping) and now she is this big person who is legally an adult and is old enough to vote and all that stuff. Sheesh. It just kind of sneaks up on you and slaps you in the face.





Now, I don't have a Runner Girl story that ties back to garlic and herb cheese; but I do have a Runner Girl episode that ties back to food. Since its more embarrassing to me than to her, I think its safe to share...

I was still going to college when The Runner Girl was a wee lass. Those early days were cra-zy - I am not sure how any of us survived it all. I would get her & her sister (still a baby) up, bundle them up, drop them off at the sitters on my way to work, go to work, leave work to get to class and then head back to work. The world moved at one speed "go". Like I said, crazy times.


She was a busy little child. Always had something going on in that head of hers - although, she often wouldn't let you know what it was. Sometimes, now, we get to hear a little bit too much of what's going on - until the spicket shuts off - and then, there is nothing...

Anyhoo, during her toddler years, I was in the middle of the sciences portion of my studies. Organic Chemistry, Atmospheric Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry. All that fun stuff. As I noted, things were crazy and I didn't always pay attention to the world around me. I just assumed things were as they should be - I should have known better.


I can remember it like it was yesterday. Organic chemistry. The class was taught in a huge lecture hall - about 100-150 students in a class. The hall was in the shape of a bowl - which means you had to climb down stairs to get to seating. Once you were down to your seat, you were kind of stuck.

Soooooo.... I get to my seat a couple of minutes before class is scheduled to start. I set my bag down on my desk and reach inside to get my notebook & textbook. And ewwwww - there is something sticky and gooey all over my hand and I feel something kind of crunchy.

I pull my hand out of my bag and realize that my hand (and all my class stuff) is covered in egg. Mother of Pearl. I was hoping desperately that no one around me noticed. No such luck. So I climb back out across the row of people and scuttle up to the nearest restroom to get some paper towels to clean up this mess as best as I can (of course class had started by that time).

Red faced, I sit through the lecture, wanting nothing more to hide under my seat.

Somewhere during my commute back to work, I finally put two and two together. I remembered that every time I went through the kitchen that morning, Wee Runner Girl had been playing in the refrigerator. The little monkey must have been putting eggs in my bag - one of her favorite things to do was hiding stuff.

Fortunately, these days when she takes eggs out of the refrigerator it is usually to eat them or make a batch of cookies...


Let's talk about garlic and herb cheese. There's not much to say - I think the pictures say it best.

As you can see, we enjoyed our herb cheese with fresh vegetables and some crackers. I wasn't expecting much out of this one, but we really liked it & it has made a repeat appearance. This one was a winner.

This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie. To see other bloggers take on this dish, check out the LYL (Leave Your Link) post for this week's dish.

Happy Birthday, Runner Girl

33 comments:

  1. What's this? A recipe that everyone in your house would eat?? I don't believe it! :-) Happy birthday to Runner Girl!

    My cat once sprayed ass-stank on one of my books that I needed for class. I ripped out the effected pages, but it still smelled horrid. I wanted to kill that damn cat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday Runner Girl!!! Glad you (all!) enjoyed this one. For me it was just ok. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, happy birthday to Runner Girl! Love that last photo. I'm glad you all enjoyed...and I loved the egg story :/ We all have them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally a recipe to share with the whole house, and the story to go with it. Happy B-day to your girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The egg story cracked me up, now that is a unique gooey thing to find in your pocket!
    Happy Birthday to Runner girl,sweet photo;-)
    Nice spread with the garlic herb cheese, looks delicious;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it amazing how our brains remember all the trauma episodes of our lives...even the ones our kids create for us. Well, some of them result in good laughs now, but at the time they were about enough to do us in. Congrats to runner girl. Glad you all enjoyed this dip. Have a good holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post. Your spread looks amazing... and I love the dishes, too! Happy Birthday to Runner Girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute story. I can imagine that it was embarrassing at the time, but oh so funny in retrospect. A good reminder that most of these painful memories in life can be laughed at, if we only give it enough time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cher, A very Happy Birthday to your daughter. Eighteen is BIG, really something. She looks like she is smart, beautiful and certainly, capable. Well done, Mom. But, as someone (here we go again) who has been there and done that with two girls, let me tell you that when they walk through your door, they are still and always children and revert back to that. Not because of You, because of Them. It's fun. It's surprising. It's true. Old and fun stereotypes come shining through. Have a wonderful week-end. I know there must be all kinds of plans. Now on to the herb cheese spread. Did you make your own ricotta? If not, why not........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She'll always be my baby - 18 or 48.
      No - didn't make my ricotta this time around. I was multi-tasking a few too many things that day...

      Delete
  10. Happy birthday to runner girl, this is such an exciting time. Believe it or not, hubby and I
    are enjoying all the activity at Tricia's house too. It seems as though I just went thru all
    of this with her and her brother, and here I am enjoying it again. Your story is adorable,
    and I would like to forget a few things about rising a family and working. Some funny,
    and some not so. Happy Memorial Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on your grandson's graduation. It sounds like you have a lot to be proud of!

      Delete
  11. Great story! Eggs are so messy to clean up, I can't imagine cleaning them out of a bag full of school stuff. They do grow up so fast, happy bday to your lovely daughter! Have a happy & safe Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL! I hope my daughter doesnt take that habit up! :) Happy Birthday to your daughter, and great job with the cheese! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday Runner Girl! I really admire you for going through those easy breezy (cough!) classes with two babies in tow. I liked the cheese, but would see myself using it more as an ingredient or part of another dish. The longer it sits, the better it gets, though!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Happy Birthday!

    looks delicious for sure

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you all liked this simple one. I think this would be awesome as a calzone filling. Thanks for sharing that idea. And happy birthday to Runner Girl! Enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great story, Cher! I admire you so much for making it through college with two young ones - and studying all that Chemistry to boot! Is that cayenne pepper you put in your dip? I bet that would give this a lovely kick. Your serving dishes are so pretty. Happy Birthday to Runner Girl and I hope you and your family have a wonderful Memorial weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations and happy birthday to Runner Girl! Eeww, eggs - well, at least it wasn't jam that sticks to everything like glue. Love your photos of this cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cher, your black and white plates/serving dishes look very pretty with the crackes, veggies and the Herb Cheese. And you tell such a wonderful stor,y again, I really enjoyed reading it and it was certainly not an easy time with two young children, college and the "whole rest of life" that just never seems to stop...

    Sorry, I did not congratulate your Runner Girl daughter yesterday, I had classes that lasted forever...on the picture she looks like a wonderful and (may I say that) determined young woman - please relate our birthday wishes to her, even if they are from a bit far away and a day late!

    ReplyDelete
  19. ..that should read "crackers" of course - what a silly typo...you can certainly tell that I did not get enough sleep last night!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Birthday to your Runner Girl!! Love the way your cheese spread looks…so delicious and served so perfectly in your black and white bowl! Have a wonderful Memorial Day, Cher!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That egg story is too funny - well, you can laugh NOW. Happy Birthday to Runner Girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Birthday to Runner Girl! Too funny about the eggs, my little man likes to take them out and try and play with them also. I enjoyed this recipe too, easy and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Birthday to the Runner Girl! Loved the story about the eggs. My nephew at the ripe old age of 2 decided to sit on the counter and throw eggs to the floor, one by one. OMG what a mess! Your dip with the veggies and chips looks very appetizing in the black and white dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cute story! And your dish looks wonderful. Happy that everyone enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great story! Your cheese and dippers look great!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great story and lovely photo of runner girl making her way out of the forest!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the story, I love what you did with the recipe and I love the pictures, particularly the one of your beautiful daughter. She is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Always wonderfully funny stories to go along with the recipe! Glad you enjoyed this...went over well with my peeps, too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a great story...I really like your serving platters, great presentation! Did you use ricotta for your cheese? I think it has more texture than mine did.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great story! My baby just turned 16 and I can't believe it either. Where do the years go?

    I loved this one too. Your pictures and presentation are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.