2012/06/27

Daring Bakers June '12 Challenge: Battenberg Cake

If I were restricted to making only one genre of dessert for the rest of my days, it would have to be cake.

Hands down.



When I saw that this month's challenge for a cake, I was pretty stoked and hopped on to the interwebs for ideas. I came across a recipe by Sprinkle Bakes for a Spring Battenberg Cake and ran with that to make a Father's Day themed cake.

Which didn't make it to any of the fathers in my world. Sorry :-(

But it is the thought that counts, right?


So how does that work in reality?

I thought I put the ice cream back in the freezer.

I thought all the toys were put away before I backed the car out of the garage.

I thought the lid was on the blender before I turned it on.


Okay, so maybe thinking about it doesn't always make up for it...


This post participates in The Daring Bakers. Mandy of What The Fruitcake?! came to our rescue last minute to present us with the Battenberg Cake challenge! She highlighted Mary Berry’s techniques and recipes to allow us to create this unique little cake with ease.


We're still on holiday, so this week's posts will all be short...

I think the water is calling my name. Or my kids are calling my name to get back to the water...


24 comments:

  1. The cake looks great...love the colors and I bet it taste good too ! Enjoy your holidays and have a swell time with the family :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the crazy colours and the pretty decoration on the top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute cake Cher - and love the colours. Enjoy your vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cakes and this one is just too cute!!!
    Have a wonderful vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cake is very pretty! Enjoy the rest of your holiday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I am super impressed with the cake! It looks sort of like a pillow, but edible?! I am also impressed that you are on vacation, and still able to maintain the blogging--way to go and represent the bloggin' world, Cher! *That beach and water--what I wouldn't give to be somewhere like that now! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Cher, your cake looks amazing! And you made this while on holiday, you say? No, please don't make the rest of us look like hopeless bakers/planners/morons! Honestly, you 'should' spend the rest of your life baking cakes, and I'll find a way to get to wherever you are ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maya - I promise, I made the cake before vacation. The most difficult thing I have baked this week is a box of brownies :-)

      Delete
  8. My guess is that the last pic was what inspired you for your cake colours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun vibrant colours - made me smile - and looks very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty - I like the swirly effect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, love the quilted look of your cake! Very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love what you did with the colours & decorations, Cher. Lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, what a beautiful creation! It is certainly impressive!

    How many more make-up recipes are you working on posting now?

    I have nominated you for the Lovely Blog award! Check out this post to accept it!

    http://acookingmizer.wordpress.com/2012/06/28/a-lovely-blog-award/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww - thank you, Alice :-)
      After we get through Runner Girl's graduation party & my parents 55th Anniversary party, I am hoping life can get on a more even keel and I can get back to the kitchen as much as I would like to.

      Delete
  14. I just love the colors you used in your cake, so summery and refreshing
    Enjoy your holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love the colors !! i think you did a great job !! have a great vacation !!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice job! I really wanted to try this challenge, but, sadly, due to procrastination this month, I didn't get around to it...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Cher, this looks phenomenal! If there was a month to jump back into the DB, this was it...and phooey, I missed it! Enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your Battenberg cake looks awesome! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my! That is a gorgeous cake! Hope you're enjoying your vacation:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love those colors, it's as close to Neon as one could get in the food world. And, of course, I have no idea how you did that. I will google like crazy to make those discoveries and am determined to produce one of those culinary wonders in my own kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! This is a beautiful battenburg, I LOVE the bright colors!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.