2012/06/05

Naan of this and naan of that... (TWD Baking w/Julia: Oasis Naan)

Every year, the village that I live in hosts a weekend long village-wide garage sale followed by a "junk" pick-up day the following Monday.

Now I am not normally a garage-saler - I feel like I fight the battle of keeping 'stuff" from accumulating (not always successfully) on a day-in, day-out basis. Garage sales seem counter to my goal of minimizing. I avoid them like the plague. (Although, on rare occasions, I do enjoy a good flea market or antique mall).



Since I don't normally host a garage sale or go to them, I get to spend the day sitting on the front porch doing the next best thing.

People watching.

This is totally the best people watching experience. Ever.


It starts about 7 AM on Saturday morning.

That's when The Collectors come out. These are the serious "salers" - looking for something very specific. They have a list of items they are looking for. They will come in and do a quick scan and if you have what they want, they start to barter. If not, off they go on their merry way.

Around 9:00 or so, the next wave comes in - these are the "Serious Salers". Garage sales are what they "do" for fun. They come in with their pull carts and reusable tote bags and will take a look at everything. Personally, I enjoy this group the most. For them the process seems to be just as much fun as the end result.


As morning turns into afternoon, the "Casuals" come in. This group tends to be a little more relaxed -  out to enjoy the afternoon. If they find something they like - great. If not, no worries. Families, couples, friends. You name it, they come out. Sunday morning and early afternoon are pretty much a repeat of Saturday afternoon - mostly the Casual. The pace is leisurely.

And then. And then. It's Sunday afternoon.

As people wrap up their garage sales, they decide what to save for the next year, what to donate and what items that they are going to leave to the hands of fate and place on the curb. Of course, by Sunday afternoon, it isn't just the people who held garage sales who start shedding their "stuff".

Everyone knows that this is THE DAY to clean house. If you want to get rid of it, put it to the curb.


Once the junk starts going to the curb, the cars start trolling the neighborhood and "The Reapers" come out. The telltale mark of The Reaper is the slow moving vehicle - often going at a pace of 5-10 miles an hour. Sometimes they will have a "scout" with them who gets out of the car to rummage through whatever is on the curb.

The Scout will yell back to The Reaper the contents and The Reaper will tell The Scout whether to grab anything or leave it behind. All this happens while the owners of the "stuff" are sitting on the front porch watching. The Reapers may or may not acknowledge the people whose stuff they are taking. Which is okay. I love how resourceful people can be and I also love that someone else may be able to re purpose something that no longer has value to me.

There are two things that drive me nuts about the whole deal: 1) when people that go through everything and scatter the contents across the edge of my driveway  and 2) when people that look through the stuff and complain about what's there. Uh, it's junk. Lower your expectations and mind your manners.

Because, if we don't have what you're looking for, you could say that we have "naan of this and naan of that".

Yeah, I went there...


Maggie of Always Add More Butter and Phyl of Of Cabbages & King Cakes were this week's hosts. The recipe will be posted on their site.

The dough for this was fairly easy to work with. Since I knew that this was being served with a lentil salad, I added a tablespoon of za'atar to complement the flavors in the salad. In lieu of cumin, I sprinkled charnushka on top of breads.

The naan made a nice platform for getting lentils to my mouth...

Hey, it may not be pretty; but it works :-)


This post participates in Tuesdays with Dorie.

38 comments:

  1. Your naan look beautiful Cher! And what a lead-in LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lentils sound like a good match for the naan. I love that you sit out and watch people shop garage sales. In my imagination, you have a hiding spot and binoculars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me laughing Cher! Free stuff many times brings the worst in people´s manners, it really makes no sense. I mean, it´s free. Like the za´atar idea; cumin is a bit overpowering at times. Beautiful naan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That people watching sounds like a lot of fun! Also, I love za'atar. That's such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was now and forever turned off from garage sales when my brother passed unexpectedly. We held an estate sale at his home (which out, as we say, "in the boonies"). We dragged all the junk out into the yard (talk about your justification for keeping the crap at bay), and in the garage. We had racks of his suits (he was a Dillards exec) in the livingroom, but otherwise roped off the rest of the house.

    Hoards and hoards and hoards of people showed up. I didn't know this particular "boonie" held so many people. Folks were staking off corners of the yard to pile their stuff (these were obviously resellers - I'm sure tons of my brother's possessions ended up at flea markets and on ebay). The whole scene was hard to swallow anyway given the painful circumstances, but the last straw was when some lady came up to me with unopened bag of paper plates (which clearly came out of the roped-off kitchen) and asked if I would take a nickel for them. I headed off for the kitchen and found dozens of people pillaging the entire house, the vultures (they were reapers that day).

    Haven't stepped foot near a garage sale since [shudder].

    Za'atar was a good call - such a great spice mix for bread!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had me in the palm of your hand, Cher, until that "punch line". Really?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You jokster you! That was pretty funny...I didn't see 'that line' coming. Naan bread....oh it just makes my mouth water. So delicious. And, I love your observations of the yard sale day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Za’atar would have been wonderful on these. I make za’atar bread all the time. My grandmother and mother always made it…and I didn’t even think of using it on the naan! Next time, because there will be a next time! Your naan looks beautiful!

    I love garage sales…I think I fall into the third group..always looking for that special treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the addition of zaatar to the bread! First time I hear about black onion seeds as charnushka...I know about a town by that name, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You make me laugh!!! The naan looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I'd thought ahead...this looks like a delish combo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The village-wide garage sale story is so funny and your observations are so on point...people around here behave much the same way when we have "put all your junk to the curb day" every couple of months.

    And your naan looks wonderful and serving it with the lentil and tuna salad was a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! I served my naan with the lentil salad as well and it went over quite well. I liked your story. We have done one yard sale and would not ever do another one. Some people were really rude. I'd rather give it away than deal with that again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great combo. I never seem to think a recipe ahead, so I never though to pair these two. The charnushka sounds like a nice touch. I think I have some (unopened) in the pantry so will give it a try. Sounds like your people-watching covered all sorts. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cher! I love people. . .watching. That whole garage sale clan sort of give me the heebie-jeebies. I will say that your naan looks terrific. Charnuska. . .that's a new one for me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum yum this looks delicious Cher! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your description of the garage sale. Spot on! Your naan looks delicious and great idea to pair it with lentils.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am a serious garage saler and would love to come to your village. Your naan looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have a funny feeling those Scouts and Reapers are making a killing off of our castoffs. I have a new semi-secret addiction to the show "Storage Wars" (Yes, its basically Antiques Roadshow for rednecks), and those guys are always pulling in serious cash for what looks like junk to us. Same concept.

    Oh yeah -- nice naan. Bad puns always appreciated. (Is there any such thing as a good pun?)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This recipe was a winner for our family.
    Your post was so entertaining.
    What a lovely meal.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love kerbside cleanup to get rid of my junk, and I definitely don't want anyone else's. Your naan looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love people watching too. People watching/listening on a Metro North train to NY is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What interesting spices you subbed in. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That naan looks so tasty!

    That whole garage sale-meets-swap-meet thing sounds like a great idea, except I suspect I'd end up with more stuff than I started with. We have hard rubbish collection here once a year, where you're allowed to leave a certain amount of crap on your kerb (stuff that won't fit in the bin) for the local council to pick up and take to the tip. Technically it's illegal to do so, but the week before Hard Rubbish is prime time to re-home old furniture. Further to that, if you want to get rid of something that's too good for the tip at any time of year, just leave it on the nature strip and it'll be off your hands within a day or two. Magic!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Loved your write-up! Your naan looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  26. clever title! :) I miss being able to "garage-sale" ... not any of that going on here in the UK...!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Reapers!!! That's what they are called!? I saw some last week on the corner. Very nice looking naan. I agree. They are perfect food carriers.

    ReplyDelete
  28. loved your garage sale story, especially about the Reapers and their scouts. the naans don't look half bad either!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your naan looks delicious as do your lentils!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for making me laugh! I do love to people watch--such curious creatures we are!
    And the naan was yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Too funny, my parents are totally the ones that show up really early looking for specific things! I do love some flea markets though! Your naan looks great, and it is awesome as a spoon!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great story about garage sales. I'm not sure if there's anything more entertaining than people watching. Your bread looks excellent, and I like the idea of pairing it with lentils.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love naan bread, garlic naan is my favourite!
    I love watching people! My fave is going down to the beach, Manly is always packed with tourists, and never a dull moment!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.