2012/08/07

Mixed Messages... (TWD Bw/J: Berry Galette)

"'Cause you're hot then you're cold
You're yes then you're no
You're in then you're out
You're up then you're down"

Lyrics from "Hot N Cold" - Katy Perry

Summer in the Northeast.

Sweltering and near 100F one day; in the 70's a few short days later - with overnight temps in the 50's.

Mother Nature is sending mixed messages.



Speaking of mixed messages....

Last week, I had to take The Karate Kid to a town board meeting (part of a Government class she is taking).

Poorly run meetings are down right painful, by the way. (Which isn't my point, but I just had to get that off my chest.)

So there we were.

Me.

My 17 year old daughter.

A few other residents.

The town board and councilmen.

As is the way of meetings, there was a period of chatter before the start of the proceedings. Who is sick? Who is moving?

Local town gossip.

When you live in a small munincipality - there are few secrets.

Since town gossip was the topic of discussion, it was inevitable that the conversation turned to a recent incident involving a whole slew of teenagers and some not-so-smart actions they had taken (and inevitably been caught doing by the men in uniform...)

After discussing the event and the outcome, the conversation turned quickly reflective as the board members started recounting questionable and/ or illegal things they had done back in the day.

With my 17 year old daughter sitting next to me.

Yes, the people responsible for providing rules and guidance for the community were explaining in great detail what hooligans they were in their youth.

Now tell me, how do I explain that one to my daughter?

My head hurt.



Fortunately, she has a sense of humor and was more amused than horrified (or intrigued).

I guess it was a teaching moment...

It was totally a pie moment.

As in, I really could have used a piece of something that involved fruit and dough.

I wish I had this waiting for me when I came home.



Since blueberries are at their peak up here, I went straight up blueberry.

The cornmeal dough was easy enough to work with , but perhaps a little soft.

It was in the 90's on the day I made this, so I threw a stone of the grill and baked the galette right on the stone - which only took about fifteen minutes (as opposed to a 400F oven on in the kitchen for almost an hour between pre-heating & baking). The grill is totally a friend this time of year.

Warm fuirty goodness. A dollop of ice cream. Things suddenly seem a lot better, no?

This post participates in Tuesdays with Dorie. The recipe for Berry Galette can be found at the sites of this weeks hosts: Lisa of Tomato Thymes in the Kitchen and the amazing Andrea of The Kitchen Lioness.

37 comments:

  1. Wow, Cher - I think you need to write a cookbook on creative ways to use a grill. You've done things I would never have thought of. This looks wonderful & I have blueberries in the fridge.

    Love your story - as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Susan - though I think you might consider a bread book, first.

    Blueberries are starting to really come, as well as blackberries, here. I think there might be a few more galettes in my future, including a gluten-free version. I think this dough could be easily adapted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too used blueberries, as well as cherries! Blueberries are on the way out and peaches are coming into season here in Japan! Looks yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A grilled galette, that´s fantastic! And fast from what you say. The seasons are conspiring, definitely, but at least you have good fruit..jaja! Love your story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Galette makes everything better, n'est-ce pas? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that would've made your day better. Great looking blueberries!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is so cool that you grilled the galette! sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That grill idea: I'm so trying that. Did you need to light the coals to achieve the temp. Just asking--I mean, I think with the heat we've had, I could probably get the stone in grill up to around 300! All you had to say was "councilmen" and the rest sort of wrote itself for me--but also made me laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gas grill (medium-low heat). High heat pizza stone. The thermometer read ~400F.

      Delete
  9. Perfect dessert---even if my berries came from Costco! I'll be making more galettes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought the dough was a bit sticky and was afraid that most of it was going to be left on the rolling pin.

    I love your idea of using the grill to bake. Some days it is just too hot to turn on the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll never forget the Thanksgiving my oven stopped working -the grill saved the day! Your "grillette" looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved your story at the council meeting. Could definitely relate, living in a small community. Your take on the galette is truly innovative, but in the "heat" of the moment, the best ideas emerge. In our case, however, all we need is the grill ;-) The recipe was fun to make.

    ReplyDelete
  13. While I've never been a baker extraordinaire (can we blame the high-altitude), I do know my way around a gas grill. So, why don't I involve that wonderful appliance, like you do, when I am cooking and baking this Summer. It's just such a good idea and your results have been delicious and a terrific way to keep the heat out of the kitchen. My new mantra with all the upcoming recipes ---- can I do this on the grill? It's really a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with Susan, you should write a book: "the
    Sweet Side of Grill...ing!"
    If I think that I haven't used my garden grill in the past 6 years...ups!
    I love your blue...tiful galette.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cher, I'm very impressed that you baked this on the grill…very creative thinking! Lovely looking galette!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your plate :) Your blueberry galette looks delicious. Hope you stay cool in the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the way you made your galette and love your story. It's so nice to visit your fun blog again after too long and I plan to keep on baking w/this group)Gorgeous galette, Cher!xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Brilliant use of the grill! I love it. Living in Houston I totally understand not wanting to turn an oven on to 400F! Your galettes look delicious and your dialog about the councilmen meeting was hysterical. Perfect post!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Smart to bake on a grill! I'm sorry the town council meeting was so crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've baked successfully on my grill too, but it needs a good cleaning right now. A steak-scented galette wouldn't have been so great. ;)

    Your blueberry galette looks scrumptious!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love it! I am so trying the grill thing....as soon as I get one! And I have decided that people are idiots sometimes. Glad your daughter didn't get any crazy ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. How wonderful it would be our kids never knew what "respectable" adults did when younger (and older too I suppose). I am impressed once again with the galette on the grill. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Grilled galette? You are amazing, my friend! And I aways enjoy your anecdotes :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. HA! Funny. I'm totally amazed and intrigued by these grilled pie things you keep producing. I won't be making this recipe until I'm settled. it looks awesome. I want it now.

    ReplyDelete
  25. i braved the heat and baked indoors-that is when i finally realized a day late that it was twd week! i used figs and peaches and right now, it is time to go and taste my efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You make me wish I had a grill. I would never even have thought to use one for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great post! I could just picture you sitting there with your daughter, cringing at all the stories! I'd never want my kids to know some of the silly antics I got up to when I was a teenager :-0 Your Galette looks wonderful. I'm so impressed you used a grill!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Good thinking Cher - grilled galette sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Cher, you did not really put the Blueberry Galette on a stone and grill it, did you?! It looks wonderful and delicious! And I will never look at a grill the same way again!

    And the description of Town Council Meeting that you attended with your daughter really made my evening (it was a long day and now it is 10 p.m. here and I am watching the Olympics and I am stressed because there is a team I am rooting for going for the gold right now...) - I love your anecdotes!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Adding ice cream sounds like the way to go. Especially since it's so hot here.

    ReplyDelete
  31. OMG! I can't believe you put this on the grill. It browned like it was put in an oven. That is amazing.

    I have an 18 year old daughter so I know how you felt. Afterwards come the questions about what **Mom** did in her day...

    ReplyDelete
  32. That sounds lovely...I wish I had a gas grill to put baked goods on. It was freakin deakin hot in my kitchen. Blllahhhh...

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great article with excellent idea! I appreciate your post. Thanks so much and let keep on sharing your stuffs keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Grilling the galette on the stone makes perfect sense :) And looks delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  35. This was fun on the grill, wasn't it? A great option for when you want pie in the summer but it's too hot to bake (which seems like almost every day for me)!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Baking it on the grill is such a great idea. I actually got mine done before our heat wave started...luckily, it's been between 100 and 110 degrees every day for the last two weeks!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.