2012/08/23

One Hundred (French Fridays with Dorie: Peaches Melba & a recipe for corn ice cream)

100

One. Hun. Dred.

One hundred.

That’s a lot of recipes from one cookbook.


I know we are celebrating 100 with Peaches Melba – which I made and posted about here and it’s totally lovely, but a celebration of this magnitude seems to cry out for cake and ice cream, no?

In the spirit of sticking to the theme, we have a celebratory peach melba cake and raspberry-corn ice cream. The cake comes from this book (I am totally jonesing on this book these days). It’s a cream cake (it uses heavy cream as the fat) and is layered with peach mousse and covered with raspberry whipped cream and served along with purees of raspberry and peaches. The ice cream is from here – we have made this ice cream several times this summer and although corn ice cream may sound a little weird, it is heavenly with sweet, in season corn.

 
Back to FFwD and 100! (I didn’t join until the group was four recipes in, so it’s only 96 for me).

When I first start FFwD, I was an absolute lurker on the interwebs. The mere thought of leaving a comment on another blogger’s website was terrifying beyond belief. Leaving my link on a website that Strangers were going to have access to was 10 x's even more scary than that. I was absolutely gob-smacked when the first comment appeared on my own site.

It turns out that I didn’t need to be afraid. I have learned that the food blogging community is filled with kind, caring, talented people. People willing to share their creativity with the rest of the world. People aren’t afraid to take chances and put the results out there – for better or worse. Over the past couple of years, I have witnessed extreme acts of kindness and expressions of caring. There are times when my heart strings have been tugged. I have often been amused by the antics of fellow-bloggers. I have been challenged to renew my haiku writing skills.

And the recipes, oh, the recipes. I have made flan from stinky cheese and pumpkins. I pushed past my fear of raw poultry to make the best roasted chicken. Ever. Discovered that dried fruits and nuts really do work well with pasta. Tried some new things that will never, ever cross my table again - I am looking at you salmon in a jar. Used cooking as therapy. I've rambled on and on and on about nothing sometimes. And shared with you all some major life milestones.

It has been a blast and I am looking forward to the next 100 recipes! When I started this deal, I was "just" joining a cooking group. Hoping to hone my kitchen skills and try some new things. It has turned into something much more - a gateway to connect with some "really good folk".

Thank you all for being so welcoming and encouraging.

I raise my glass.

Cheers.
This is the peaches melba....


Raspberry Corn Ice Cream
Adapted from Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home

Raspberry Sauce


1 12-oz bag frozen raspberries
1 cup sugar

Combine the berries and the sugar in a small sauce pan (1.5-2 quart sized pan). Bring to a boil over medium heat – stirring frequently. Heat until mixture reaches 220F (~10 minutes). Let cool for about five minutes and pour mixture through a sieve to remove seeds. Keep mixture refrigerated until ready to use (at least one hour).

Sweet Corn Ice Cream

2 ears sweet corned, kernels removed & milk juiced from cob
2 cups whole milk
4 tsp cornstarch
3 Tbs cream cheese, room temperature
¼ tsp fine-grained sea salt
1 ¼ cups heavy cream
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 Tbs light corn syrup

Prepare corn by slicing kernels from cob. “Milk” the cob by running the back side of the knife hard against the cob (a whitish colored liquid should release). Reserve both the corn kernels and any liquid released.

Create a slurry with the cornstarch by combining the cornstarch and 2 Tbs of the milk in a small bowl.

In a medium sized bowl, stir together the salt and the cream cheese until well combined. Set aside.

Have ready an ice bath in a large bowl and a one-gallon zip-lock bag.

Combine the corn and its juices, the rest of the milk, the cream and the sugar in a medium sized sauce pan. Bring to a boil over medium high heat – stirring frequently. Once mixture comes to a boil, boil for another four minutes. Remove from heat and strain mixture through a sieve into a heat proof bowl (should have 2 qt capacity). Use the back of a spoon to “squeeze” out as much liquid as you can from the corn kernels. Discard spent kernel casings and return the milk mixture to the sauce pan.

Whisk the cornstarch mixture into the cream mixture. Return to a boil over medium-high heat & boil for an additional minute (it will start to thicken). Slowly whisk hot milk mixture into the bowl with the cream cheese. Once cream cheese has dissolved into the milk, pour contents of bowl into the one gallon bag and submerge into the ice bath. Cool in the ice batch for at least a half hour (I found that 45 minutes is optimal for me).

Once thoroughly chilled, pour the ice cream base into the ice cream maker (I just cut off a corner of the bag and squeeze it out into the canister) and freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. Mixture should be very thick and creamy once ready.

To finish:
Pour a cup of the base into the bottom of a freezer safe container. Spread a layer of raspberry sauce. Continue layering ice cream base and raspberry sauce until both are gone (making sure to finish with a layer of ice cream). Press parchment on the top of ice cream and seal container. Place container in ice cream and freeze for another couple of hours.



This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie - please stop over to the FFwD site to see how other bloggers commemorated this milestone...


Runner Girl Update: Thank you to everyone for your kind words and e-mails re: the first week of college. Yes, she does have my mail key (she found it in her wallet) - we will try to retrieve that in the next couple of days. My poor car is still in the shop; I hope to have it back by this weekend. Runner Girl had a few hiccups at first - the first full day was a little traumatic, but I think we have worked through all the major issues and she is getting her bearings. The Roommate arrives Friday - which will open a whole new chapter. She is practicing three times a day right now and her first race is next Saturday (Yes, I plan on being there...). Classes start next week. Mom (me) is doing fine. There were a few rough moments, but it is getting easier. The Dude is having a harder time, I think. Face Time is very helpful. I am doing 1/3 as much laundry and there seems to be more hot water. The Karate Kid is thoroughly enjoying her new status as the "only child".

31 comments:

  1. Happy 100th recipe to you, Cher!!! A virtual toast to you, my friend...you outdid yourself with your peach melba! My hubby asked, where's the Melba???? We loved it~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 100th! Kudos for making as many as you did. I'm nowhere near that because of the raw onions and whatnot. I think I'm around the 80 mark. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cher, honestly, "meeting" you has been one of the many highlights of FFWD for me. Your posts are always so well written, funny, poignant, and so real. Keep on keeping on fellow Dorista {group hug} xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cher...Happy 100th recipe to you ! A toast to you and the others, I just joined in and missing quite a few :p so I can't count myself as having a 50percent mark anyway , will try to join in as many as I can. Cant find fresh peaches over here and I dont quite like the canned type.

    It is great to join FFWD , I got to know all you great guys and I enjoy the sharing of opinions of our dishes from the book! Happy 100th recipe and many more to come :)

    Have a great day, I am sure Runner Girl will soon get used to her new surrounding :) Yea and time to spoil ' the only child ' :)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers to you, too, Cher! I've lost track of how many recipes I've done. I know I haven't done all the FFwD recipes, but I have done a good number of recipes on my own prior to joining the group, so I must be somewhere around 100.

    Peach melba may not be in the cards for me until next year. Pretty sure peach season will be over by the time I get my act together. We arrived in italy on Wednesday, and we're still just trying to get our sleep schedule back to normal. Last night I cooked dinner with the one pot, one pan, and teeny tiny cutting board that's in the hotel we're in. Thank god we brought our own knife set. I'd have been SOL otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy 100! I love your take on this week's recipe - sounds delicious.

    I think this little community has been a gift. I've enjoyed getting to know you and all the other Doristas over the past 100 weeks. Your posts are always one of the highlights.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely post and so inspiring! Thank you for the corn ice cream recipe, I will be making that shortly.
    Our daughter went to camp thousands of miles away this summer and although I am all about striking out on your own ( I did live abroad my senior year), it IS quite different experiencing it from the other end, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post is wonderful Cher! I like so much reading about your family doings, and you´re blog is such an invevitable place to stop by regularly. This milestone definitely called for ice cream and cake! Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a wonderful post, Cher!! You echoed so many of my own feelings of when I joined this group. Definitely stepping out of my comfort zone!
    Your presentation is beautiful…love the cake! Happy 100th, my friend!! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations Cher, on your accomplishment of making nearly 100 recipes from Around My French Table! I've always wanted to try making corn ice cream and will have to give this recipe a try- I have the Jeni's ice cream book and love it too;-)
    I always look forward to your posts, it's been nice meeting you through the FFWD group;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy 100th:) Thanks for the Corn Ice Cream recipe - I need to give it a try. The cake looks delicious. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cher, wonderful cake and quite up to the occasion - I take my hat off to you, so many recipes, so many wonderful posts! Hope all is well with you and the rest of the family - wishing your daughter the best of luck with all her new endeavors!

    Our Peach Melba did not take the form of a cake but the kids loved it!

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that all looks wonderfully pretty and delicious. I knew it would when I clicked on your link actually, so I was excited right away to see what you would do with it. Good luck to Runner Girl...it's strange when they go away, isn't it...Swimmer Boy left last year and swimmers have to stay year round at IU for team practice (year-round sport between college and USA Swimming) so he didn't even come back to stay for the summer. That said, he's only 70 miles away so we see him often...and of course, we have to go cheer at the meets a lot, right? Right! Hope she and Karate Kid have a wonderful year. Congrats on 96 recipes. I'm making an effort to get back into the grove...two weeks in a row, who knew? lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aww, this post makes me feel guilty for my extreme FFwD slackiness. : ( But happy 100/96 nonetheless! Love your haiku shout out to Trevor!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing. Full stop. That cake looks crazy-delicious. Love corn, may have to try that ice cream! And so happy that everyone is adjusting so well. Congrats on 96. I've been in from the start and can't claim that number!

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cher, your lovely and thoughtful post brought a tear to my eye. As usual, you seem to have expressed the sentiment perfectly. Not just that, but your cake looks de-lish!

    Best of luck getting your daughter settled in at college. I'm sure she (and her parents) will do great. And I had to laugh that her sister is enjoying life as an only child. The week before I was scheduled to move out of the house, my brother started coming into my room to take measurements and figure out how his furniture was going to fit in there!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful tribute post my friend, so expressively written :)
    Thank you so much for sharing! And with such a stunningg recipe as well!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your peach melba cake is lovely! Runner Girl looks so happy and relaxed - wishing her all the best for college life.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your peach melba cake is lovely! Runner Girl looks so happy and relaxed - wishing her all the best for college life.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy 100th! Glad to hear Runner Girl is surviving her first couple of weeks at college, it does get better! Your cake and ice cream look beautiful! What a wonderful dessert and celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm with you about this blog. When Tricia said she signed us up I had no idea what this was about. How quickly we learn... it has been so much fun, both making the recipes and meeting all the Doristas. Your cake looks wonderful and so very delicious.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. One of the real plusses of my joining this group has been you, Cher. I enjoy your personality, your Posts, and your outlook on Life. You obviously have decided to just go with wherever Life intends to take you. And, you seem to do it with humor and good cheer. Now, for goodness sakes, go back and pick up those 4 recipes so you can be credited with the full 100.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is amazing, 100 posts, totally impressive and I am really loving that raspberry sauce. I didn't make this one maybe smetime this week is looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Cher, Happy 100th! You might have started 4 recipes in, but I equate you with the heart and soul of the group. I look forward to your posts each week. They are both funny and reflective at the same time. I, too, am amazed at the community that has come out of "just joining" a cooking group. I love Jeni's ice cream recipe and will be sure to make the corn version before the sweet corn disappears until next summer. Here's to another 100 and another 100 after that. Cheers to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. this group has been really wonderful hasnt it?? :) it looks great Cher and I have to say yours is one of my favorite blogs to read each week! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I don't know why but I can't leave comments on your blog from my computer at home anymore! So I've had to wait till I can get to another computer and I've been busting to tell you how great this cake is! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  27. That sweet corn ice creams sounds delicious! A very unique ice cream, but since I love good sweet corn I can see how this would be delicious! Thanks for sharing this recipes. Congratulations of your 100 (96) posts!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! You really know how to do it up when the occasion warrants! I am very intrigued by the sweet corn ice cream because its the second time I've seen it mentioned today. Maybe I'll have to do it before the good corn goes away. Glad things are running smoothly for you and your family with the whole college transition - it's hard, I remember. So glad that I joined this group and have gotten to know you a little through your writing. It's always fun to read what you've been up to!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the sweet corn ice cream idea. What an exciting time for your family. Thanks for all you do to make each week so fun with FFWD and TWD. It's such a great group to be part of. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love the look of your peach melba cake! Great interpretation. I will have to check out that cake book, and I already know I want the ice cream book.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congrats on 96, very impressive! I have never heard of cream cake, but it sounds incredible. Really, your whole dessert sounds and looks amazing. I'd be thrilled to get it in a restaurant. I've enjoyed cooking with you for the past year - looking forward to the next one!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.