2012/08/30

The little plot behind the barn (FFwD: Minted Zucchini Tagliatelle)


This salad seems to be a fitting recipe to close out the month of August.

Bright.

Vibrant.

Laid back.

Homey.



When I was a wee girl, my parents used to have a garden behind the garage. The term garage is a misnomer because it was really an old barn that had been re-purposed into a garage.

By the time I was old enough to understand what a garden was, my parents were past the gardening phase of their lives; however snippets of that garden still live on in my mind.

The earthy smell of potatoes fresh out of the ground being prepared to winter over in the hayloft.

Green beans, young and tender.

Big, fat tomatoes.

Little squash flowers trying to make their way.

And the occasional attempt at watermelon (I am not sure if we ever yielded any or not).

Over the years, that little plot of land has since become one with the rest of the lawn, but just one whiff of freshly turned soil or zucchini plucked fresh from the vine takes me right back there.


I have been enjoying variations of this salad most of the summer.

My CSA share has afforded me with more summer squash, zucchini and cucumbers than I think I have ever had to manage before - which has resulted in using up vegetables in some new (to me) ways. One thing that I have learned is that I really like my corn raw (fresh sweet corn, that is) and that it can be tossed into almost anything. Yes, ANYTHING...

In keeping with my current theme of adapting recipes to fit what I have on hand (or need to use up), here is my interpretation.


Adapted from Epicurious.com
2 medium zucchini, trimmed
1 medium summer squash, trimmed
1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded, diced
Kernels from 2 ears of corn
3/4 cup (loosely packed) fresh mint leaves, coarsely chopped
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons avocado oil

Using a mandoline, thinly slice zucchini and squash (~1/8" thickness) lengthwise. Place slices in a medium-large bowl. Season with salt & pepper to taste.

Add cucumber and corn. In a small jar, mix together lemon peel, lemon juice and oil. Shake well to combine. Pour dressing over vegetables, sprinkle mint over salad and toss well to combine. 

Refrigerate for about an hour to let flavors meld.  


This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie. Please visit the French Fridays with Dorie site to see other blogged interpretations of this week's dish. Better yet, buy the book and join in on the fun...

33 comments:

  1. Oooh a nice addition to this dish with the corn. Next time I will try this too - nice texture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very summery! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may have loved this better if I had added corn! I found it a little sharp and cold as it was, but I guess most salads in winter are going to be like that. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you added corn! I skipped this one and made up the carrot salad :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the corn idea, and here it´s perfect! I like the yellow zucchinis, a bit of extra color. Have a great weekend Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea to add corn. I share the new found pleasure of raw corn. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I admire everyone who gets a CSA box - I know if I did, most of it would go to waste and I would feel terrible. I'm just not so great with veggies, I try but in my heart of hearts carbs are always the winner. Your salad looks so beautiful with the addition of the corn. I still haven't tried it raw yet but I might have to soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Corn sounds like a great addition to this bland salad. It sure needs something--cheese, nuts, anything to distract you from the fact that you're eating raw zucchini. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How I remember those backyard gardens. My Mom grew everything and "canned" most
    of it. I can still remember pulling radishes out of the ground and eating them, and back
    then, tomatoes had flavor. I like your addition of corn to this dish, it looks so
    summery and refreshing. Have a great holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also found this salad quite vibrant -- good word for it. I love that you added raw corn. That would be an extra bonus booster. Hope you have a great long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your salad looks wonderful:) I love the addition of the corn - great idea! Have a nice holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your salad looks wonderful:) I love the addition of the corn - great idea! Have a nice holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks great...and that corn just adds to the party, doesn't it...love raw corn like this. Very pretty. I could make this salad over and over and over. And I probably will.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the addition of raw corn. That sweetness really sounds like it would be a nice addition to this salad.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I might have enjoyed this more with fresh corn in it! Sorry to say…it was not a hit in my house. Sometimes you win and sometimes not so much! It does look pretty…glad you enjoyed it!! Have a great weekend, Cher!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My parents had a garden growing up and I never appreciated it. Probably because weeding the thing was one of my jobs. Now I oh so wish that I could have a garden... and maybe a gardener to take care of those weeds:-)

    In any case, your salad looks summery and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your salad looks much more interesting than mine! So pretty, and it must taste as good as it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Corn would have been a nice addition to my salad. Did it actually say to soak the zuchinni in water with salt and pepper? Maybe that would have enhanced the taste for me. Or, maybe I just don't like raw zuchinni. Somehow your salad looks delicious and appetizing. Mine didn't. Hmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love, love, love the corn!
    We enjoyed this salad several times last Summer, will have to make it again with some of my zucchini;-) Have a wonderful weekend;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the corn addition
    I made a zucchini ribbon salad yesterday but it asked for marinating the zucchini in vinegar
    I thinkn I like yours better

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cher, what a lovely looking salad using all this wonderful summer produce! Fresh corn, which we virtually cannot find in stores around here, does sound like a terrific addition.

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. My parents haven't gotten over their gardening phase yet and now I'm trying to emulate them.

    Nice job of using your CSA bounty! I like the idea of corn with this salad, it would add a nice, sweet crunch. I'm harvesting a huge number of beans right now - needing to get creative with those in a big way.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have to ask what is CSA???
    I like your version, very colourful and vibrant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sanya - Hi. A CSA is Community Supported Agriculture. In this case, I pay a local farm an annual subscription fee and in return, for about five months, I get a box each week of whatever fruit/ produce is currently in season at their farm. You never really know what's going to show up each week!

      Delete
  24. How vibrant and gorgeous my friend :D
    I am loving the flavour combintions!

    Cheers
    CCU

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Cher, your salad looks wonderful, and love your story! Your addition of corn sounds terrific - I ended up adding tomatoes because that's what I had on hand (aka needed to use!) Hope your weekend is great!

    (BTW, I have lots of trouble leaving comments - who knows why - hopefully this will work!)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like your corn addition. The yellow really adds great color!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hmm, I had no idea you could eat zucchini, or squash, or corn, raw! Thanks for educating because that salad looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. gorgeous dish! sounds absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the salad idea! Brilliant and fresh! I had zero zukes this summer. Very jealous of your CSA.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hey, I like the looks of your version!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I've been adding summer squash to almost every recipe I make this summer. I also just learned (I think from the scallop and nectarine salad recipe) how much I like raw corn. I really like the idea of adding it to the salad.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Looks wonderful! I love how you have been adapting to what you have on hand - we don't have summer CSA here, or farmers markets so I miss out on all the wonderful summer produce. I guess I shouldn't complain because we get them from Oct-May when everyone else is complaining about the lack of fresh veggies.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.