2012/08/27

Ugly Ducklings (Daring Bakers Sept '12: Pate a Choux Swans)


"Honey, what are you doing?"

"A choux."

"You sneezed?"

"No, a choux - as it pate a choux. Like in cream puffs or eclairs."

"Ohhhhhh" - shakes head and walks away.


And with it, I made swans. Correction, I tried to make swans.

In the Hans Christian Andersen tale, the ugly little duckling suffers - until one day he realizes he is a beautiful swan.

I wish I could tell such a tale here.


Sometimes, the ugly ducking is destined to be just that.

An ugly duckling.

I would probably make a horrible children's story author. I would also make a pretty poor motivational speaker.


Which means that there needs to be a new moral to the story - "it's what's on the inside that counts".

As in pastry creme. Glorious pastry cream.

It makes up for a whole world of ugly...

Obviously, I need more practice on this one.


This post participates in The Daring Bakers. Kat of The Bobwhites was our August 2012 Daring Baker hostess who inspired us to have fun in creating pate a choux shapes, filled with crème patisserie or Chantilly cream. We were encouraged to create swans or any shape we wanted and to go crazy with filling flavors allowing our creativity to go wild!

20 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Cher, you have me rolling around on the floor laughing! Poor little swans. You are right - what's on the inside really does count :) (although, just quietly, I'm sure you did better than I would have)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, a whole pond full of swans! They look OK to me. I didn't bother making all of mine up, as no-one was going to see them - besides, I quite enjoyed eating the pastry cream by itself ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun you must have had in the kitchen molding your swans! (I've had that shaking-of-the-head walk-through-the-kitchen look many a time.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think they are ugly at all, they look like baby swans to me :o) CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Renata. They're sweet (literally!) little baby swans. And a delicious, cream-filled baby swan is better than no cream-filled swan at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooooh these things are really cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed laughing through your post, and remember the story all too well of the ugly duckling. For me you are correct it is what's on the inside that counts. Regardless, no one knows what they look like after you have eaten them. I am so glad you enjoyed it and it sounds like you had some fun with it all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What great looking swans! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do like the baby swans too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cher, I think they're are absolutely darling. They've even got beaks! (And, as a mostly-vegetarian, I can truly say that the best kind of swan to eat is one that's pastry-cream-filled :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look like baby swans to me too and they are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I see nothing ugly about these little guys. The swans look like swans. What's not to like about having the opportunity to sample these delicious morsels. I am sure there were no negative comments as your tasters were tasting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aaww, they are so cute! I say very well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That exchange at the beginning - very familiar with my boyfriend ;) Your swans are definitely cute and you're right - anything filled with pastry cream is pretty darn good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been busting to try and make pastry cream! Almost got a chance on the weekend then spent the entire weekend vomiting! I've never been into the packaging and have always been about what's on the inside kinda girl. But I have to say Cher, these look pretty great to me both inside and out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cher, when I was a child, I used to adore pâte à choux in the shape of swans, they were actually part of my childhood and the lady that made the best ones used to fill them with whipped cream, I cannot believe you made those swans, I can honestly say, you made my day - wonderful! And they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i think these are so cute! awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ehehehe Your post made me smile. And hey! It even made me want to try and make some myself... :P

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cher, I made these swans years ago for a dinner party!! They were such a hit! Yours look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cher, have I told you how much I love your posts?
    Your writing always puts a huge smile on my face
    Your husband's reaction is the same as mine whenever he finds me in the kitchen lol

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.