2012/10/02

Hello, Autumn... (TWD BWJ: Cranberry, Walnut & Pumpkin Loaf)

Sonnet 73
 gif

by William Shakespeare (1609)

That time of year thou mayst in me behold
When yellow leaves, or none, or few, do hang
Upon those boughs which shake against the cold,
Bare ruined choirs, where late the sweet birds sang.

 
 


In me thou see’st the twilight of such day
As after sunset fadeth in the west;
Which by and by black night doth take away,
Death’s second self, that seals up all in rest.

 

In me thou see’st the glowing of such fire,
That on the ashes of his youth doth lie,
As the deathbed whereon it must expire,
Consumed with that which it was nourished by.
This thou perceiv’st, which makes thy love more strong,
To love that well which thou must leave ere long.




This is a bread that screams "Autumn". And since Mr. Shakespeare already wrote an ode to autumn, I decided to let him take it from here.

Like the amount of hours in the day this time of year (at least in the Northern Hemishpere), this post will be short. Life is taking some funky turns today and has decided that is where my time must be allotted...

A yeasted bread, made moist with pumpkin puree and studded with a combination of fresh (cranberries) and dried (golden raisins) fruits along with walnuts (not toasted, even though the recipe called for it). This was an enriched bread (hello, butter), so it needed a little bit more time to do its thing - including an overnight rest in the refrigerator and some additional "warm up" time.

Plain or toasted, this was a lovely treat.

 This post participates in Tuesdays with Dorie. The recipe for Cranberry, Pumpkin & Walnut Loaf can be found at the site of this week's host: Rebecca at This Bountiful Backyard.

33 comments:

  1. That looks lovely. I don't know what I'm going to do about TwD. It seems like every recipe needs the stand mixer, and I don't have one, b/c her everyday white bread destroyed mine. :-( This recipe makes me want to beg Santa for a new one and promise to never never never turn the speed on higher than 1 for a bread dough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your yeast worked! Beautifully done, Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yours rose very well! I didn't use the right pan - mine was too big and I suspect that had it been squished in a smaller pan it might have actually risen before it went in the oven. Dorie never caeses to amaze me though - I had NO hope for this yet it is lovely. Even enjoying some for breakfast this morning toasted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta love some Shakespeare! Great lookin' bread too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous colors! Glad you enjoyed it. Mine didn´t work and it was too long a recipe to make again. Besides, I don´t have fresh cranberries (they´re non-existent here) so there was no point. Have a great day Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! And, very nice plating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks beautiful and how nice to start the day with a little Shakespeare! And "Yay!" for fresh cranberries! Weren't they fabulous in the bread?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks great! And what lovely ode to fall.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the bread took longer than i cared for but it was tasty! i made mine with persimmon puree from our tree out back and it worked beautifully. your loaves look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully done, Cher! Very pretty photos! We really loved this bread in our house…a definite keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your bread looks beautiful, so light and fluffy. I used fresh cranberries as well and liked the tartness of them, but they were hard to mix in.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your bread looks great. Glad you had time to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice bread! I agree, this bread screams fall.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ok, I am imagining Shakespeare eating pumpkin bread and screaming: "Faaaaaaalllllll!" at the same time :) Lovely bread!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a perfect pairing! Great job, Cher.

    ReplyDelete
  16. As always, nice job Cher. Agree with Shakespeare, Autumn is a great season.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful photos and this was one delicious treat. I liked it toasted with butter but I think it would be great as french toast. So many possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful pictures! Makes me want to make them again.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely sonnet to go with your beautiful Autumn bread!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sometimes.. i wish we got fresh cranberries here.. just so that I could have those lovely red vibrant berries peeking out from the top.. so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. a poem and a loaf of bread- great combo!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cher, lovely sonnet and wonderful pumpkin walnut cranberry loaf - the colors in your pictures are very much like fall too. Very nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well you know how attracted I am to poetic food blog posts. I think that I shall never see, a cranberry loaf as lovely as a tree. But this one is close. Yum. And it is forcing me to think of autumn now...which I just didn't want to do. But at least it will now taste good. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those fresh cranberries look amazing. I didn't have the nerve. And thanks for adding some culture =)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Cher,

    These are beautiful loaves for autumn. You have baked them so well and all the little bright red cranberries do remind me that Christmas is coming...

    Greetings from Australia! Your blog is fantastic and here I am being your latest follower :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great job on your cranberry pumpkin loaf, sure is pretty-I'm so happy I have the TWD cookbook;-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I want this bread right now :D
    I love how delicious it looks!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great photos. I very rarely toast my nuts - do not notice that much of a difference for the extra work. Enjoyed the ode to autumn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. This did scream autumn, loudly. I love that you included a Shakespearean sonnet. You are a real Renaissance woman, Cher. I really enjoyed this bread, so light and airy, and tasty. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your bread looks great!
    I'm so jealous of your autumn.
    I'm already cleaning sand out of my car and hanging wet towels and swimming costumes. If it wasn't for the mangoes and kiwi fruit I'd be dreading summer!
    Enjoy autumn:)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yum! Looks great! I still have to make mine later this month...

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.