2012/10/21

Hummus Cake & an overdue "Thank You"

Back a few weeks ago, for French Fridays with Dorie the recipe of the week was hummus.

Now, I like hummus. A lot. For whatever reason, I just wasn't feeling it that week and went in different direction.

I was craving cake much more than I was a healthy platter of chopped up veggies and dip.

There. I said it.

Sometimes, you just need a sugar fix.


If you stick it in the form of a cake, you really can get the peeps to eat almost anything. Beets, rutabagas, zucchini, okra... Okay, not okra. I haven't found anything that will make okra ingestible in my book.

Trickery, yes?

Effective, absolutely.

You can't tell me you've never tried it yourself.


P.S. I have an obsession with bundt cake pans. I have only allowed myself two bundt pans.

It makes me giddy when I find a new recipe to showcase "bundtness".


This recipe still needs some playing with, but since there seemed to be such an interest AND I don't know if I will ever get back to this one, I thought I would share what I did.

If someone is up to the challenge and is able to get this cake the "rest of the way" there, I would really love to hear about it.


Hummus Cake
Inspired by Joy the Baker

3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 Tbs baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
~12 ounces prepared hummus, room temperature (if your hummus is really dry, add ~1 Tbs simple syrup to loosen it up)
4 Tbs unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups white, granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 large egg whites
1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350F - ensuring that rack is in center of oven or just slightly below (depending on the height of your pan). Grease and flour bundt pan (I used a 10-cup and everything just barely fit - a 12-cup pan is probably the better fit). Set pan aside until ready.

Stir together dry ingredients (flour, baking powder/ soda, salt) in a medium-sized bowl and set aside.

Place the hummus, butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer - fitted with the flat paddle attachment. On medium speed, beat until the mixture comes together (~4 minutes). Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add eggs - one at a time - beating well between each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl between each addition. Stir in vanilla.

Add one half of the dry ingredients and stir on low speed - you want to incorporate most of the ingredients, but don't over mix (it's okay if there are streaks of flour). Add all of the buttermilk - stir until just combined. Add remaining dry mix and stir on low - you may wish to finish incorporating by hand with a rubber spatula to prevent over mixing. The batter will be a little thick, but not super stiff.

Pour the batter into the bundt pan. Tap the pan on the counter a few times to work out air pockets and run the back of a spatula over the top of the batter to smooth things out. Place the pan in the pre-heated oven and bake for ~45 minutes - a toothpick inserted in the center will come clean when cake is ready to come out and the top of the cake should spring back lightly to the touch.

Remove cake from oven and let cool in the pan for ~20 minutes. Invert cake onto a rack (or directly onto your serving platter if you are feeling brave) to finish cooling.

I opted to glaze the cake with a simple glaze (confectioner's sugar and some flavored simple syrup that I had hanging out in the fridge). I made the glaze a little loose and applied while the cake was slightly warm. I am sure a light sprinkling of confectioner's sugar would have been nice as well.

Soooo....
 
....I want to give a huge "thank you" to Uru (aka "Choc Chip Uru") from "Go Bake Yourself" for sharing a couple of blog awards with me. Miss Uru is the same age as my youngest daughter and is also in year 12 of school in her home in the "Land Down Under". Her joyful attitude, big heart and love of all things sweet and absolutely contagious and makes her blog one that is worth coming back to again and again for a dose of "happy".
 
 
 
In the spirit of the awards, I thought I would close this post out by telling some things that I love and that I think about daily.
 
1. My family & friends - relationships are what keeps me going each day. They are the anchor in a sea of turbulence.
 
2. Books - my love affair with reading started at a very tender age and has not quieted.

3. My front porch - it's the perfect place to settle in with a book and a cup of coffee (well, at least for about 7 months out of the year) or to catch up on the latest happenings with the neighbors.

4. Laughter - I love being around people and things that make me laugh.

5. Outlets - no, not shopping outlets... I mean things that let me work out my frustrations. Time in the kitchen. Going for a run. Taking a walk.

6. Jelly beans - let's be specific - Jelly Belly jelly beans. I can't keep them around me - I will eat them all. You can keep your chocolate bars and cupcakes and other treats, just leave me with the bowl of jelly beans, please?

7. And last but not least, my morning cup of coffee... Do I really need to explain this one?

Peace out.
 

14 comments:

  1. I was waiting for this cake recipe! I´m a morning cup of coffee person too, I completely understand. What do you mean by `the rest of the way´? You know I´m up for pretty much any baking challenge...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula - I thought the cake was good but that the texture needs just a little tweaking. I am just not sure what to do to get it to that perfect texture.

      Delete
    2. I want to try this for sure, so I´ll let you know!

      Delete
  2. Mmm what an incredible idea - hummus in a cake with such good looking results :D
    AND CONGRATS on the award, you deserved it - thank you for the sweet shout out :)

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on 1, 2, 4, 5 and 7 (only if you make that a full pot rather than one lousy cup).

    I love bundt cakes and I think your pan is amazing BUT is it okay if I let you and Paula work out the kinks before trying this cake? Hmmmmmm, hummus, I cannot get my arms around that yet. I just may have to bundt.

    #2 - By the way, "The Light Between Oceans" by M.L. Stedman (a first novel) is an excellent book (I finished it in three days and Melissa finished it in two). And, it would lend itself very, very, very well to a book club discussion. I cannot recommend it enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great looking cake Cher!
    I love the pattern, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your awards!
    Your bundt cake is beautiful and I'm intrigued by the ingredients, I've never heard of baking with humous but why not!? Enjoyed tweeting with you during the debate- I find those fascinating-love the little details;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow ... so this was like, full-fledged hummus? Garlic and everything? Very interesting. :) I don't want to mislead by blindly guessing about the texture, so forgive me if I'm way off here, but I'm wondering if the issue is that beans are usually a sub for flour, not fat (...I see that that sub came from a MS recipe that J the B used - they cut the amount of butter in half from standard bundt cakes). 3 cups of flour plus more of a flour substitute ... the hummus seems like an extra ingredient, ya know? For that amount of flour + flour-ish hummus, I don't see how one can away with a half stick of butter (or equivalent fat) in a whole cake. Cupcakes (a la MS), sure. A cake would shine a spotlight on texture problems. That bundt cake pan of yours sure makes a pretty cake, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. The garlic kind of blended into the background and the overall flavor was rather pleasing (earthy/ nutty).
      Obviously, I need you around to remind me to slap my forehead... RATIOS!
      I did find the fat content in the orignal recipe odd, but I figured the fat from the tahini/ olive oil would offset it somewhat. Perhaps upping the butter or cutting back some of the flour/ hummus ratio would do the trick. It's close, but just needs a little adjusting. Hmmmm....

      Delete
    2. That's what infuriates me about the MS site - so many recipes on that site are just wrong. I'm surprised J the B didn't catch the problem (although her cake was doused in rivers of icing, so no one probably cared). Oh, well. Who's the multi-millionaire (MS) and who's not (moi). ;)

      Delete
  7. Hi Cher, Wow hummus cake! who would have thunk? was it a little dry? the slice looks dense, the batter moist and a little lumpy, but neither of these is necessary a bad thing. the additional two egg whites is a little odd since it doesn't look like white are beaten separately and then folded in for loft. just FYI, egg whites add structure and tend to add dryness, while yolks add richness. hope some of this info helps. love your daily list, coffee is the first thing for me! will have to look into Mary's book suggestion too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope - it wasn't dry at all. The crumb was moist - kind of gummy-ish. Not underbaked gummy-ish, just a little odd. I really think Karen was headed in the right direction with her flour to fat ratio comment.
      I guess there is a reason why Ruhlman said that the first rule of cooking/ baking is: Thinking :-)

      Delete
  8. I am loving the look of this hummus cake - yum!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.