2012/10/26

Once upon a time. (Daring Bakers Oct '12: Mille Feuille)

Mille Feuille. A custard slice. Pastry of 1000 sheets.

1000 sheets?

Yes, 1000 sheets.


Once upon a time, there was a girl.

The closest this girl ever came to puff pastry was the kind that came out of a box.

And the closest she came to pastry cream was instant pudding.

But over time, she learned how to make the puff pastry using flour and butter. No box required.

And she learned how to make pastry cream - and could pronounce every ingredient that went into it.

One day, she would learn how to combine them and make a dessert that pleased even the fussy eaters in the house.


No process pictures were captured. Somehow, she became lost in the process.

A custard slice - layers of puff pastry, cream, topped with royal icing and chocolate striping.

Yeah. All by herself.

Go figure.

It may not have won awards in the looks category; but man, it sure tasted good...

And now that girl must go to bed. She's very, very tired...

Peace out.



This post participates in The Daring Bakers. Our October 2012 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Suz of Serenely Full. Suz challenged us to not only tackle buttery and flaky puff pastry, but then take it step further and create a sinfully delicious Mille Feuille dessert with it! Thanks for a great challenge, Suz! The full recipe for this lovely dessert can be found in full here.

19 comments:

  1. It's beautiful! Do you deliver? I'll take the whole thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great, I bet it was really yummy too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! One of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mille feuille looks fantastic, Cher! Those slices on the plate are just begging to be eaten. I'm so happy you enjoyed the challenge & that you managed to please even the fussy eaters in the house. Thanks for taking part. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic Cher! I love the combination of flavors. You should try it with dulce de leche between the layers, it´s one of our oldest bakery staples.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I'm impressed you photographed the entire uncut dessert. Very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous job! Your Napoleon looks perfect and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy! I hope the fairy tale girl enjoyed a slice of her hard work before taking her well deserved nap!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know what? There should be more fairy tales that end in desert! Looks great Cher :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are my HERO Cher!! WOW. This looks incredible. I want!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love a dessert that pleases everyone!! Score! And I also love being able to pronounce every ingredient in the things we eat! LOL. Your mille feuille looks gorgeous and delicious. AWESOME job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is so stunning my friend, love it :D

    Cheers
    CCU

    ReplyDelete
  13. Napoleons are probabably my favorite dessert ever. When we made the eclairs a long while back for FFwD, I mentioned my unabashed love for all things pastry cream, but Napoleons with their pretty icing on top are something else. I really admire you for tackling this one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Impressive. Nothing else to say.......... Loved this Post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks amazing Cher!
    Hope you went to bed with a sense of enormous satisfaction!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, you have my full respect for this! I love Napoleons and can't resist them when I see them in a bakery. I can't imagine making them myself, especially the puff pastry-- so, so cool! They look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. fabulous looking (and I'm sure delicious!)

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.