2012/10/04

When I Grow Up... (French Fridays with Dorie: Hummus)

I really wanted to title this post "ho-hummus". Just to be quirky...

But it seemed like a wrong thing to do... It would have been a reflection of my mood more than anything else.

I'm rambling, aren't I?

Once upon a time in a land far, far away there was a cupboard...


In this cupboard a bag of dried chickpeas lay dormant. Waiting for that day when it would be re hydrated and brought to fulfill it's final destiny.
Many moons later, it finally happened. The bag was pulled out of the cover. Dropped into water to soak overnight. And then on the following day, slowly simmered to a creamy tenderness.

They were then drained off and placed into a container for future use.

The chickpeas were still uncertain. Their journey still was not clear.

A couple of days later, half of the chickpeas were pulled from the container and roasted - becoming the star of a roasted chickpeas with Swiss chard dinner.


The rest of the chick peas waited.

And waited.

And waited.

Until they were pulled out of storage.

Unceremoniously tossed into a food processor with tahini, olive oil, Aleppo, some lemon juice and a few stray Kalmata olives.

Tucked into jars and thrown back into the fridge to wait some more.

 
Finally, the day arrived when those jars of chickpeas were finally to meet their destiny - cake.
 
Yes, that little bag of dried chickpeas grew up into cake. It's the natural progression of things, right? 
 
And order was restored to the kingdom...
 
Right now, this oddball creation is currently cooling in the kitchen. I royally fudged a recipe; but if it came out like I think it did, I'll post on it at some point.
 
I have a funny feeling that this was NOT what Dorie intended when she wrote this recipe. I am also pretty sure this wasn't listed as a "Bonne Idee".


This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie, where you can find many other blogged (and more traditional, or not) versions of this week's recipe.

31 comments:

  1. The smartest use of hummus I´ve seen! I´ll wait for the recipe of the cake. So creative Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet another recipe missed by moi! I actually bought all the stuff, too... Very curious about your cake - it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I need a hummus cake - and I have lots of hummus at present.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want the cake recipe!!! You're too funny Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You went wild with chick peas! Your cake is gorgeous...can't wait to hear the verdict :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just had a piece - the verdict is THUMBS UP!

      Delete
  6. OMG Cher, I love the story of your chickpeas journey to their different destinations! And that hummus cake is the best Bonne Idee for hummus, I really can't wait to see it's recipe. Just wondering though if it's savory or sweet?

    ReplyDelete
  7. First, I was wondering how many people would refer to hummus among us in their posts. ;-)

    Second, ho-hummus is brilliant.

    Third, your roasted chickpeas look incredible.

    And finally, hummus cake?!? Are you crazy? (Save me a slice, would you?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you're first instinct was right. I felt this was ho-hum as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What? I was wondering what kind of fun my fellow Doristas would have with this week's recipe, it certainly seems to lend itself well to playing, but cake! That I did not see coming. Do tell.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Three weeks without a Cher-fix and I was getting the shakes. I was elated to find out, after reading this week's Post that you're still wacky in that wonderful sort of way. It's as if you take a food product as farrrrr out as possible and then reel it in slowly. You gotta get that cake recipe posted.......soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cher, chickpeas roasted or in hummus - sound just wonderful. Baked in cake? Why not! I would love to have a taste and discover this "new kind of cake", it looks wonderful and you are certainly very creative!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Roasted chickpeas with swiss chard sound wonderful. Beautiful cake. How was it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it - but even more telling, it passed The Dude's test...

      Delete
  13. Your hummus looks delicious my friend, I could swim in it ;)

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hummus cake sounds very middle eastern, although I recently heard of a chocolate cake using chick peas! Whatever…your cake looks fantastic…can’t wait for the update! Have a great weekend, Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't wait to see your hummus cake post. That sounds quite interesting... I especially like the sound of the roasted chickpeas. I'll check out that recipe. Have a great weekend, Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hummus Cake!!?? It looks amazing!! How creative.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is so awesome!!! The cake looks amazing! And so not ho-hum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. hummus cake is certainly creative! how great! I was waiting to see if you actually made the hummus though, since you used dried chickpeas to see if it looked smoother than all of us who used canned chickpeas, which does to seem to be the case at some point. what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did make the hummus (first picture). Personally, I like starting from dried chickpeas and I think it does come out a little bit smoother... (Although, there is a lot to be said for the convenience of canned beans...)

      Delete
  19. You are my hero, Cher! And the Hummus cake...brilliant!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! I'm looking forward to hearing about that cake. It looks beautiful. The Swiss chard and chickpea dinner would also make my partner's heart sing - chickpeas are a favourite of his.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Look forward to the recipe for that delicious looking cake. I also like the idea of
    roasted chickpeas with swiss chard, I must try that soon as we love swiss chard.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Holy moly - cut me a slice !!! That bag of chickpeas was the kitchen version of the Little Engine That Could :) In fact, I would like the whole meal of hummus appetizer, swiss chard side dish with entree and hummus cake. Wowza. Great job !!

    ReplyDelete
  23. A hummus cake! I can't wait to see the recipe for that one
    My son is obscessed with hummus and if you can turn it into a cake I will make it in a heart beat

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, that cake sounds intriguing...and looks delicious! I would love to see the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The roasted chickpeas look amazing and the cake...well that is awesome! What a creative use of hummus! Hope it tasted as great as it looked!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats my friend, I have given you a double whammy of awards!
    Check it out here: http://gobakeyourself.wordpress.com/2012/10/10/quick-easy/

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.