2012/11/01

Grateful (French Fridays with Dorie: Mushroom and Not-Shallot UnQuiche)

First of all, I wanted to thank everyone who checked in this week to make sure things were okay in our neck of the woods. All is well here and we are grateful.

I am always amazed and touched by the outreach that can be found in the food-blogging community. Since food is such a nurturing force, perhaps it is only natural that many of the people behind the food espouse the same sentiment.

When you live in the Northeast, you expect to run across many different kinds of weather. Blizzards, yes. Ice storms, yes. The occasional tornado or earthquake, yes. Hurricanes/ superstorms/ frankenstorms, not so much.


After Irene and Lee last year, there is not much that surprises me from a weather perspective anymore.

This year, Upstate was spared the brunt of the storm - the areas that are still rebuilding from last year's disaster were spared.

Sadly, many communities South of us are now living the nightmare.

Like so many others, we spent most of Sunday and Monday glued to The Weather Channel and the local news. While the winds howled around us and the power flickered on and off, we kept a close eye on Twitter streams of those living through the heart of the monster called Sandy - amazed by the upbeat spirits and sense of community that was being displayed.

My thoughts are with everyone still working through the mess. Nature can be a real b----...


I know it sounds a little off-kilter, but my storm preparations always include 1) making sure the laundry is done and 2) there is some kind of dessert hanging around. If I am potentially going to be stuck with no power, there must be clean clothes and something sweet to eat. Fortunately, The Dude handles the practical things like filling buckets up with water, making sure there are candles and flashlights, filling up gas tanks and all of that stuff.

While he handled all that, I made a chocolate cake.


This "not-quite quiche" was prepared the day before the storm, while we were in the midst of "battening down the hatchets". The need to keep things simple was a driving force - so I ditched the crust. I was not interested in a trip to the grocery store, so I just went with what was already on hand. Leeks and dried mushrooms.

Hence, the mushroom and shallot quiche turned into a mushroom and leek "unquiche". Does that make it a baked omelet? I don't know.

My ability to stick to a recipe appears to be further degenerating.

Fortunately, the results were tasty.

 
Mushroom and Leek "Un-Quiche"
Adapted from Around My French Table
 
2 Tbs unsalted butter
5 thin leeks, sliced into 1/4" slices (all of the whites and ~1/2 of the green parts)
1/2 cup dried mushrooms, reconstituted and roughly chopped (yield ~3/4 cup)
2 Tbs chopped fresh thyme
1 cup heavy cream
4 large eggs
1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 cup grated cheese (I used cheddar)
 
Butter the bottom and side of a 9" pie plate and place plate on a baking sheet lined with a Silpat mat. Preheat oven to 350F.

Over medium heat, melt the butter in a large non-stick pan. Add leeks and saute until they just start to pick up color ~3-5 minutes. Add mushrooms and heat through. Sprinkle with thyme and cook an additional minute. Sprinkle mixture across the bottom of the prepared pie plate and let cool for ~10 minutes.
 
In a medium bowl, mix together the eggs, heavy cream, salt and pepper. Gently pour egg mixture over mushrooms and leeks. Sprinkle with cheese.
 
Place baking sheet with pie plate into pre-heated oven and bake until set - ~25 minutes. Cool for 20 minutes before serving.
____________________________________________________________________________

On a non-food related note, Runner Girl's race last weekend was close to home - at one of the courses she used to run all of the time in high school. Two of her good friends from high school were also competing that day with their new teams. It was great to see the girls together again - even if they were all wearing different uniforms. Their high school coach came out to cheer them on. Runner Girl smashed her personal record on this course.
 
 
And in closing... you know how they talk about getting back on the horse.
 
I went horseback riding for the first time in many, many, many years. I sneaked this picture of the clan from my view at the back of the pack.
 
Lemmetellyou, my body is not used to stretching that way for such periods of time. The horse I was on seemed to be as stubborn-minded as the person riding it. Places I don't remember existing on my body are still crying out.
 
The things we do for our children...
 
Peace out.


 This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie.

21 comments:

  1. You = awesome! I love that your storm prep includes clean laundry because that IS important (little things, right?) and I think you did well to get this done under the circumstances. PLUS, you rode a horse. You are my total hero.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: glad all is well in your neck of the woods XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm afraid to go horseback riding,lol! And to think when I was younger I wouldn't have given it a thought, giddy up cow girls;-) I hope you treated your aching body to a hot soak in a tub. I like your adaption on this quiche recipe, who needs a crust? I mean I like the crust but wouldn't be heart broken without it ;-) Glad everything is okay in your neck of the woods!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you're all okay! I need to make the quiche today, if I can get up the willpower to make a crust. I may go your route, out of sheer laziness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I´m so glad you´re all safe. Your crustless quiche is perfect, all the flavor and gf! Congrats to runner girl, and to you for going horseback riding again! I totally relate to it. Have a good weekend Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whew...I'm glad you all weathered the storm. Yup, baked goods would be at the top of our priority list, too! I think I'd actually prefer a crustless quiche...and I'm impressed you even whipped this one up with all that you dealt with this week.

    PS...congrats to runner girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although baking doesn't make it into my hurricane season prep, I always make sure to stock up on my supplies early in the summer to avoid the craziness at the supermarkets. I also try to keep only the truly necessary in my freezer during the June-October months... of course that is easier said than done. In addition to laundering everything that might be lying around, I always make sure that the bathrooms and kitchen are squeaky/shiny clean. Foodwise, I try to cook things that I can reheat easily - usually one big pot of rice with chicken, sausage, or squid.

    I kind of screwed up the crust on my quiche this time around, so your crust-less version gets my wholehearted approval.

    (Yay Runner Girl! What a good reminder I need to lace up my shoes.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I took horseback riding lessons a few years ago. As someone who was practicing yoga at the time, I figured my legs were ready for it. Nuh uh uh uh. I think I limped for a week after the first sitting, and quickly figured out why competitive equestriennes have skinny, sculpted legs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. With or without crust, this was a winner. I was thinking of making the mushrooms without any custard some time as a side dish. Those skinny leeks are so gorgeous. I'm glad you didn't have to make use of any of your preparedness preparations. What a storm. I still have a pit in my stomach when I read about what's going on down in NYC area. So many people and so much destruction. Anyway, thanks for sharing your runner girl photo and the horseback riding! Looks like fun...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was wondering if the storm would reach you guys, especially after reading your last post about the after effects of last year's storm still visible. Anything called a frankenstorm sounds terrifying! I'm glad to hear you guys were spared!
    Love your crustless quiche! And very impressed you went horse riding!!! Great photos

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad to hear that you are safe! Kudos on making your un-quiche. It still looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am relieved to read that you are all doing well, the pictures that we are seeing here from the devastating hurricane are heartbreaking to say the least!

    The un-quiche is actually a terrific idea, I tried a crustless quiche recipe before and it worked out just fine! Yours looks delicious!

    Congratulations also to Runner Girl and kudos to you for actually going hoseback riding! I must say, I am sincerely impressed!

    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. As Tricia mentioned, we were not touched by Sandy except for strong winds, and we
    thank you for all your thoughts. It's has been an unbelievable time for many people
    and my heart goes out to them. From your photos it looks like a good time was had by all.
    Have a great weekend and lets hope next week's weather forecast for the Northeaster will
    be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks too good, on the verge of being illegal

    ReplyDelete
  15. So happy to hear that you weathered the storm. Many of my friends were in the area hardest hit and are still without power and water. Such a mess. It's just bizarre for me to imagine. I grew up in Vermont and hurricanes were always something which happened further south, never in my beautiful New England.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well,. that was one newsy Post. The three sentences I liked best were 'While he handled all that, I made a chocolate cake." and "Runner Girl smashed her personal record on this course." and " I went horseback riding for the first time in many, many, many years." When I was in South America, I spent a day at an Estancia and rode a horse. A guacho, I am not. Quite the busy week in addition to Sandy. I am sorry for all the storm devastation in your neck of the woods. A thumb's up for making a quiche of some kind.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so happy you have escaped the devastation my friend!
    As for an unquiche I love that idea :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  18. So glad to hear that you & your family are safe & sound! The unquiche looks very tasty & Ilove the addition of the leeks! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cher, so nice to hear you are all well! Sorry I've been so out of touch. Upon returning from our vacation - just in time - our cat was diagnosed with bone cancer, so I've been really out of it & preoccupied. We're keeping him at home and just trying to treat the pain but it is just heart-breaking. I've had him longer than I've had John!

    Hope to return to FFWD this week. Stay safe & warm (did I mention it's in the 80s here?). xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad to hear that you and your family are OK after the storm. What a gorgeous quiche - mushroom and leek seems like a more natural choice than mushroom and shallot.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cher, So glad that the Frankenstorm missed you….damage around my neck of the woods was pretty miner compared with the Jersey Shore, NYC and Long Island! Power was out for seven days, many trees down and tangled wires litter the sides of our road ways. Thankfully we were away…now it’s about emptying my freezers and dumping!
    Your quiche looks great! Congrats to runner girl!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.