2012/11/26

Peanut Butter Smoothies (Daring Bakers Dec '12: 12 Days of Cookies)

Cookies, cookies, cookies.

It's that time of the year, isn't it?


And somehow, this cookie-making-avoiding girl has been turning out cookies left and right. Between keeping the Runner Girl stocked up on baked goodies now that she is in college and random sugar cravings, I think I have turned out more cookies in the past few months than I have in years.

For real.

Now, I love me a good cookie; but I must confess I don't like making them. I am sure I have griped about mentioned this before...


This month's Daring Baker's challenge was to come up with two kinds of cookies - one from the wonderful selection presented to the group by Peta of Peta Eats and the second was a "freebie" - baker's choice.

In deference to the craziness of the season and my cookie-making-avoiding tendency, I opted for two recipes that were minimalistic in preparation. But... simple doesn't have to mean boring...

Peta's Chocolate & Caramel Turtle Bars were a no-brainer. Why? Chocolate, caramel and pecans, that's why...  While the bars are created in three steps - the steps couldn't be easier.


And for "baker's choice", I opted for a peanut butter "brownie". This two-bowl wonder came together in less than ten minutes. These bars are sure to please the peanut butter lover in your world (raises hand...)


Peanut Butter Smoothies
Adapted from The King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion

6 Tbs unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 cup granulated white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed (light or dark)
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup white chocolate chips

Lightly grease a 9" x 9" pan or line with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350F.

Sift together flour, baking powder and salt into a medium bowl. Stir together.

Combine the butter and peanut butter in the bowl of a stand mixer. At medium speed, beat until smooth. Add sugars and beat to combine. Scrape down sides of bowl. Beat in eggs, one at a time, scraping down sides of bowl between each addition.

At low speed, stir in flour mixture - until just combined. Stir in chips.

Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for ~25-30 minutes. Bars will be done when edges are just starting to come away from the sides of the pan. Let bars rest in pan for ~20 minutes. If you used parchment, you may remove the bars from a pan and finish cooling on a rack. Otherwise, cool bars completely in pan before cutting.

This post participates in The Daring Bakers. Holiday season is the time for sharing and Peta of Peta Eats is sharing a dozen cookies, some classics and some of her own, from all over the world with us.

21 comments:

  1. Your cookies look great - I am keen to try the turtles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the pecan slices on each bar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. minimalistic in preparation - yes but damn they look delicious! Can't wait to try the smoothies! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so a fan of making bars instead of cookies. I say it's because I am lazy... but at least I still bake 'em! Your peanut butter bars look amazing - my husband would eat the whole pan! And your turtles turned out beautifully! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I personally love making cookies, but I can totally empathize on wanting a big bang for your buck with minimal prep! The peanut butter smoothies sound awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks amazing, I love bars!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the way you write Cher! You always make me laugh.
    These look yummy. I think I'll have to make them. Thanks :)
    Renee - Kudos Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll have to try those bars, they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cher, these two kinds of bar cookies that you baked would have been perfect for those Christmas bazaar sales that took place on the weekend at the schools. So many cookies to bake, so little time...next year, I will try to remember to bake some bar cookies, they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Peanut Butter Smoothies or Brownies? In any case they look delicious,

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look deliicious!
    I'm not much of a cookie baker myself but I've got a long list I make every christmas of cookies I'd like to try, maybe this will be the year I do something about it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well hey - for not loving to make cookies, you certainly made the most of this challenge!! Those turtle bars look SO good, and peanut butter "brownies" sound like a dream come true. Really awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both of those look delicious! Chocolate, yum. I would totally go for both of those but I'd have to convince my family members. :) Nice job on the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum and Yum, double yum!!
    Great job on the cookies, I wish you were my neighbor;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Both of your bars look (and sound) sooo delicious! Awesome job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, I don´t put cookies and bars in the same category. So this are the kind I would make and eat. Amazing both!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love peanut butter, but am allergic, have you ever tried the PB Smoothies with something like sunbutter?? Hive just are not fun at the holidays. Regardless your cookies look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually make them with homemade peanut butter. I think I may have made them with almond butter once, but not sun butter - sorry :-(

      Delete
  18. Mmmm I am loving the peanut butteriness in this post, yum :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really wanted to try those turtle bars but sadly ran out of time.
    Now I need to add your peanut butter smoothies to my list too

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.