2012/12/27

All-Over (French Fridays with Dorie: Go with Everything Celery Root Puree)

Winter showed up.

Christmas came and went.

A foot of snow graced us overnight.

The girls and The Dude are currently in the living room playing with a Furby.

It's singing...

Such a strange little toy.

But very diverting.

There are not many things that are funnier than the sight of three grown ups trying to make a little electronic pink ball of fur sing to them. Seriously. Funny. Stuff.

 
There are more leftovers than I even want to think about sitting in my refrigerator.
 
So many meals in so few days.
 
I feel like a food machine.
 
Crown roast. Ham. Ribs. Salmon. Sides. Cakes. Bread. Crackers. Cookies. Brownies.
 
Gateaux. Which we will talk about another day...
 
Since I knew we were going into a heavy food zone, it was nice to have something fairly simple to start the pre-holiday weekend off with.
 
The celery root mash was a nice complement to a meal of cider marinated salmon, black rice with thyme and creamed spinach. It won The Dude seal of approval.
 
The black rice, however, did not... I guess you can't win them all.
 
 
Celery Root Mash
Adapted from Around My French Table
3 cups whole milk
3 cups water
1 Tbs salt
21/2 - 3 pounds celery root (2-3 roots) - peeled & cut into 2" cubes
1 lb russet potatoes - peeled & cut into 2" cubes
1 medium sized onion - peeled & cut into 8 pieces
6 Tbs butter, cut into 1 Tbs increments
Coarsely ground black pepper
Fresh thyme
Avocado oil

Combine milk, water and salt in a large saucepan, Bring to a boil over medium high heat - stir to keep the bottom from burning. Add celery root, potato and onion. Return to a boil. Once mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat to medium. Simmer for ~30 minutes - until vegetables are fork tender - stirring occasionally. (Keep an eye while cooking, milk tends to get a bit bubbly while cooking...)
 
Using a large slotted spoon, transfer vegetables to a large bowl*. Add butter to mixture. With a potato masher, mash mixture to desired level of chunkiness.
Transfer mixture to serving bowl. Garnish with fresh time and a drizzle of avocado oil.
 
*Instead of draining, I opted to remove the vegetables from the pot and used the reserved liquids to cook spinach.
 
 
So, as you can see, I finally succumbed to some minimalistic Christmas decorations. I couldn't find the tree topper. And I am too cheap to buy a new one while I know I already have one somewhere in the house.
 
The Christmas card scene totally rocked this year :-)
 
On a unrelated note, I totally sneaked a new shortbread pan in the house. My favorite kitchen store lured me in. It was totally awkward when The Dude and I were in the same store together later that day shopping for something else and the same cashier rang me out. I couldn't help it - it was a pretty pan. I was lost...
 
Nature chipped in with some post-Christmas decorating of her own.
 
 
The whole street looked really pretty until the plows came through and turned everything brown.
 
I guess that's what back yards are for...
 
After a full day of watching The Dude snow blow the driveway - three times - I sure am tired.
 
Okay, I only watched two times - I slept through the first.
 
Wishing everyone a safe and Happy New Year! Is this year seriously almost over? I'm not ready...
 
Peace out.
 
 
This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie - where a group of home cooks works their way through Around My French Table. The original recipe for Celery Root Puree can be found here on Epicurious.com.

21 comments:

  1. A true White Christmas! It's always a treat when we have one (ours came a day late). That was as much cooking you did over the holidays as the number cards! Seasons Greetings Cher to you and your loved ones. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I actually wanted snow this week for Christmas. Kudos for trying this recipe! I'm skipping it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the tree! I think the black rice sounds delicious. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to see the snow! And glad to hear you had a great Christmas.

    Wishing you every happiness in 2013! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peace seems to have been installed in your house. Nice card door frame! Have a wonderful beginning of 2013 Cher, it´s been so nice cooking with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our big snow came after Christmas, but it sure is beautiful...had to giggle at your snowblowing participation...I did the same :) Your salmon + puree sounds perfect. Black rice? I have a feeling the hubby would balk, too. Happy New Year, Cher! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had the big snowstorm the Thursday before Christmas and now it snowed again last night - definitely looking very wintry round these here parts. I was too chicken to make the celery root but it seems like everyone liked it. All the food you made sounds delicious! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can totally imagine this with the cider salmon. Perfect for cold weather. Nice that you had a white Christmas. The little snow we got was washed away by the subsequent rain. Wishing you a very Happy New Year! Can Furby sing Auld Lang Syne?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice celery root mash! And I am a little jealous of your snow ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your tree is so cheerful and I agree the Christmas card display was pretty fun this year;-)
    I do want to try the celery root mash and your entire menu sounds delish!
    We don't get any snow here so I enjoy seeing and hearing about your experience-it does look pretty!
    Have a very Happy New Year;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cher, My fridge is also full of leftovers. I need to do some serious cleaning out! I really enjoyed the flavor of this puree. I have become a new fan of the celery root!
    The cards were great...I so enjoyed hearing from so many of my fellow Doristas!
    Wishing you and yours a very Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Snow blowing is SO tiring:). Mother Nature provided the best decorations of all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The nice thing about having relatives so close, (next door) is that you load them up with
    the leftovers. I do not intend to have any fish until Good Friday. This recipe was pretty
    good, we really enjoyed it with the choucroute. Have a Happy New Year and I look
    forward to cooking with you next year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay for white Christmases! We are hoping for more snow tomorrow. I love your Christmas card display! The leftovers in your fridge sound wonderful to me. I am so totally not ready for a whole new year to start. Can we stop time for a few more days?

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great post! I totally get the whole fridge thing... I was dividing up leftovers and trying to think how I can both not waste them and eat healthy... probably not going to resolve that one! :)

    Happy for you to have had a white Christmas! It looks so lovely!! I can't believe it's almost 2013 either, but hope you have a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The snow is beautiful! We had one day of snow and it almost shut the city down. Luckily it turned back to rain pretty quickly. With that and the Boxing Day shoppers calling 911 to report that other drivers stole their parking spots, 2012 can't end soon enough! It sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas, with lots of lovely food. Hope you have a restful New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like you had a lovely Christmas, Cher! Snow and all! I think I was the only one who didn't like the celery root - Mom like it so much she made me look up more recipes for it so she could cook with it at home. So, Dorie did get one more convert out of it! Happy New Year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cher, what a wonderful post and what a ncie presentation of your Celery Root Puree - also love the picture of all the Christmas cards from the FFwD exchange! And I would like to send you and your family the very best wishes for the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Am I totally clueless? I didn't know what a Furby even was. So, I googled it (like I do with everything else you and Maggie talk about) and a pink Furby costs $58. Are you kidding me? As for the top of the tree, try a bow. A big fat bow finishes off anything. And, yes, I do know what a shortbread pan looks like. Way to go, Cher. I'm all for purchases like that. Bravo for the tree - love the lights - and you did get some cards, girl. I enjoyed my last of 8 Christmases in warm weather here in Las Vegas but am chomping at the bit to get back and be able to celebrate my next Christmases with old friends in Aspen. I won't mind the cold or snow at all. I wish a happy, healthy New Year 2013 to you and your nice family.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What wonderful meals you have been making! Your celery root looks delicious. it sounds like you are having a great holiday. I agree that it seems unreal that this year is almost over. I hope you and your family have a wonderful New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your puree sounds good but I'm totally and utterly in love with your pics of the snow! You have no idea how exciting it is for me.
    We have a furby and I keep walking past and activating it just as I've got my 5 year old to sleep! I found it buried under a pile of towels a few days ago cos my husband didn't know how to shut it up!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.