2013/03/27

Hiding (Daring Bakers March '13: Hidden Veggies)

It felt fated that the theme for this month's Daring Bakers challenge was hidden vegetables.

It seems like a lot of things are hiding in my life lately.


A few days ago, I was cooking out of this book (I totally can't believe that the Kindle version is available for $2.51 right now) and set it down somewhere while I started something else. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out where I had put it. I spent two days searching the house - no joke. I finally found it - on the bookshelf. Hiding in plain site.

My car keys have been making a regular game of playing "hide and seek" with me. Some days, it is nothing short of miraculous that I make it out of the house in the morning.

Speaking of hiding, the calendar said that it is spring now. As in the season. The foot of snow that came down at my house the day was not convincing me that the seasons are about to change. Spring is in hiding.

"Spring" in the High Peaks - Adirondacks
I could also spend a couple of hours minutes talking about my sanity being in hiding - but I think that it's not hiding anymore. It flat out ran away.

But alas, I think the topic of the day is "supposed" to be hidden vegetables. Which is something I am totally on board with.


My peeps will tell you I am always hiding stuff in their desserts. Like this avocado lime cheesecake or this avocado cake or this one. I have also been know to throw parsnips into cakes, beets and even some hummus.  Yeah, we are crazy like that in this house.

This time around, I opted for black beans in the brownies. I know, I know, I played it a little safe; but I figured that I have already put myself out there a few times with those "hidden veggies" and went straight for the easy base line hit (spring brings baseball, right? - therefore baseball metaphors must certainly be allowed this time of year).


The recipe for Triple Chocolate Black Bean Brownies can be found over on the Joy the Baker site. With the exception of using an 8" pan instead of a 9" pan, I actually followed the directions as written. (I know, who would have thought that day would come...) I recommend heading over there to check out the recipe - she does it far greater justice than I could.


This post participates in The Daring Bakers.  Ruth from Makey-Cakey was our March 2013 Daring Bakers’ challenge host. She encouraged us all to get experimental in the kitchen and sneak some hidden veggies into our baking, with surprising and delicious results!

Peace out.

9 comments:

  1. Spring has been hiding here too and in my house it is my mobile that plays hide and seek and mostly when it is turned off!
    I need to give this black bean brownie a try, sounds like a real treat

    ReplyDelete
  2. These brownies look great! Until this challenge, I'd never heard of using black beans in brownies. We have weird weather here too right now - unseasonably warm. Happy Easter Cher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa makes this recipe, Cher, (or, one like it). The brownies are sooooo delicious and moist. When I first tried Missy's brownies and was told to "guess" the ingredients, the little girls just about burst until I gave up and they could "tattle". You do some really fun challenges with your Daring Bakers. A good food exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to try the black bean version since I already made chocolate cake with white beans and I love it. This reminds me I have to try the hummus cake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look so chocolatey! I made a black bean chocolate cake and it was so moist. Nice job on the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your hidden spring photo! Brownies look delicious, great job on the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol great post. And great challenge result!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol great post. And great challenge result!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm always surprised how well beans step into desserts. Black beans in brownies makes perfect sense - they look positively scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.