2013/03/29

Speechless (French Fridays with Dorie: Lemon Steamed Spinach)

Man, writing about spinach is tough.

The Pop-Eye reference is too cliche.

I have no cute childhood stories about spinach (except that it always came out of a big can - 'nuff said).

No romantic Saturday morning farmer's market story where I was moved to tears by the fresh dew from the field still kissing the leaves - because the spinach had been plucked from the soil only that morning by the farmer's own hands. (Hello, Upstate NY here - you can't even SEE the ground yet.)

And it's easy to make (throw fresh spinach in a steamer basked, grate some lemon zest on top and steam until wilted) and hard to screw up.

I don't even have the drama of a steam burn to share with you, thank you very much.

There may come a day that I have something inspiring to say about spinach.

Today is not that day.


Awkward silence.

Nervously gazes over shoulder.

Fingers drumming. Tap. Tap. Tap.

Nervously jiggles foot.

So now what?

This is starting to feel like one of those weird dates where you run out of things to say to each other in the first five minutes of the date.

Surely, you have been on one of those - where you realize that once you have traded names and occupations there is nothing else to talk about.

Sigh.

I so don't want to be THAT girl.


So, before you decide that the best course of action is to excuse yourself from the table and try to sneak out the side door when you think I am not looking, I am going to do us all a favor and end this date now.

I won't keep the awkwardness going.

I promise.

No escape necessary.

If you are celebrating the Easter holiday, I wish you a Happy Easter.

Peace Out.


This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie. By the way, this is a recipe that isn't really a recipe - its a concept. If you can steam spinach and grate lemon zest, you are there. I am sure this would also be lovely with orange or grapefruit zest. I served it along side chicken breasts that had been marinated in a Greek yogurt/ harissa mixture and then breaded with panko bread crumbs. Easy peasy. Simple. But good.

21 comments:

  1. Cher, I think you said it all. Great blog. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. Happy Easter to you and your family, Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, I left a comment very early this morning but it's gone :(
    In any case, not much to say - this was lovely. Period.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You manage to write a whole post, and a fun one. My list of those dates has some of the best stories. Have a great easter weekend Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure none of us Doristas could walk out of a dinner date with you. There's too much we know and can grill you about.

    My first spinach came out of a frozen bag. The plastic containers snd baggies of baby spinach seem ubiquitous now, but I don't remember seeing them until the nineties.

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cher, you never cease to crack me up!

    Wishing your family a wonderful and blessed Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I had to write about my cleanse because there was nothing much to say about spinach.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, not much to say, but it was tasty! I served mine with a simple chicken dish too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny I have no childhood memories of spinach. I wonder if my mom never served it? An Easter question. Have a good one Cher.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your chicken sounds excellent, I love the harissa and greek yogurt idea. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was not a fan of spinach growing up. But luckily as I have aged I love it. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yup, it was big cans of spinach when I was growing up. I didn't even know you could eat spinach fresh until I was in high school. This certainly goes a long way to righting that wrong! Good stuff. Happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You just keep getting funnier. So far, with the Posts that I've read, Popeye has not entered the picture. Clichés be damned. I will tell this only to you.........the name of the driver who is transporting my goods to Colorado is Popeye.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cliche or not, popeye is always the perfect reference ;)
    Mmmm I love spinach!

    Cheers
    CCU

    ReplyDelete
  15. I went the Popeye route and was sort of disturbed by the content of some of those old cartoons.

    I think that all there is to say about spinach, really, is that it's great with lemon. Have a great long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yup, not much to say about this one, but in a good way. I love your serving dish. Tres elegant! I know I'll be making this one again. Most of our snow melted this week, so the ground is ready and waiting for spring. I can see crocus and daffodil foliage popping up. Yay! Wishing you and your family a wonderful Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  17. :) Not much to say besides good and easy. Happy Easter to you and your family Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cher, you are too funny! It's raining here today so I feel a little kindred spirit with you and your climate ;-) I'm glad you enjoyed your spinach and hope you're having a wonderful Easter Sunday with your family;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have lots of spinach happily sprouting away, soon to transplant to my new salad bar garden bench. They'll be getting their fair share of lemon zest treatments before spring is over. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Our childhood spinach didn't come from a can but instead came from a big frozen brick. I loved it... especially when mom would 'cream it'. I actually made this today thinking I would do a trademarked mega-haiku catch up soon but even then I can't think of what to write about it. Why can't I think of something to say about it?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I agree that it's not really a recipe. But also I love that Dorie includes such non-recipes in her book. Because I like the more involved ones, but I love the ones which give me new ideas for quick and easy weeknights.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.