2013/04/19

Living with (French Fridays with Dorie: Cod & Spinach Roulade)

Live with.

These two words have been weaving their way in and out of the fabric of my life lately.

Sometimes, they are words of choice - I can "live with" that.

It can be words of resignation - If I have to "live with" it, I will.

As a parent, I think the hardest words you ever will hear are - It's something she will probably have to "live with" all her life.

It's funny how those two little words can turn your world upside down and inside out.


When I first drafted this post a week or so ago, my thoughts were headed in a different direction than they are today.

Yesterday, my Uncle lost his battle with mesothilioma. That is what he had been "living with". He didn't go down without a fight. The doctors told him two years ago that he only had six more months. The unreasonably obstinate streak that runs deep in us Rockwells doesn't like to be told when to do anything. Telling a Rockwell "no" is a sure way to get them to dig in their heels (raises hand, guiltily). He was a Rockwell to the core - right to the end. 

And that, puts a smile on my face.  

In lieu of my regularly scheduled post, I am posting a pictorial.

Items of note: 1) traded spinach out for Swiss chard (served them with next week's pancakes); 2) made the tomato sauce, but added a half cup of balsamic to the sauce and cooked it until it reduced down; 3) whew - survived the plastic wrap; and 4) this was good. Really, really good. Did not expect to like it, but it was a major hit.










Peace out.

This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie.

23 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your uncle's passing. Sounds like the family stubborn streak served him well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rose. I like to think of obstinance as an endearing quality :-)

      Delete
  2. Well done...I loved these, too! My condolences on your uncle's death. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cher, so sorry to hear about your Uncle :( Your roulades look great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All my thoughts go to your family right now Cher. Glad you liked the roulade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about your uncle. I love that he battled on 4 times as long as the doctors told him he was entitled to. Glad you liked this fish - I liked the flavour, but it won't beat fish au naturel for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry for your loss Cher. Your uncle sounds like a real fighter. Obstinate can be good! Glad you enjoyed the roulades.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear about your uncle, Cher, but glad that you enjoyed the dish. Mmm...swiss chard. I don't know if they grow that here. I haven't seen any.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Condolences on the loss of your uncle, Cher. It sounds like he didn't give up without a fight, good for him! As for the fish, it's great that you enjoyed it! I think the changes you made probably helped! ;) It just didn't click with me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry about your uncle, Cher.
    Glad you enjoyed this dish..it really was quite good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear about your Uncle. Your roulades turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My condolences Cher. I find stubbornness to be a virtue, but maybe that's because it runs on both sides of my family.
    Great idea to use chard..nice alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My condolences and prayers with your family my friend.

    Hugs
    Uru

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the pink of Swiss chard. These were different than I thought, not in a bad way. I'm sorry for your loss of your uncle. Sounds like he fought hard. Have as good a weekend as you can. xox

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am sorry for this sadness, Cher. I suspect the memories will continue to make you all smile as you muddle through your grief. It's terribly difficult. The Rockwells are in my prayers tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry to hear of your loss. Will send some prayers your way. Your fish looks wonderful. Almost makes me want to try it...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cher, I am so very sorry to hear about the passing of your uncle!
    Your fish roulades look just wonderful - I do love that delicious and colorful chard! Very nicely done!
    Do take good care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So sorry to hear about your uncle! :( It sounds like he put up a good fight though. Your dish looks like it turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. My condolences.

    I'm glad you liked the fish -- and I really like the idea of adding balsamic. It's always fun when recipes are better than you were expecting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Condolences on the loss of your uncle. Strong will is a great family characteristic to have.



    ReplyDelete
  20. Aw, Cher. I am so sorry. I am sending you hugs.
    oxox

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.