2013/04/12

One half teaspoon at a time (French Fridays with Dorie: Financiers)

How do you get rid of a huge bottle of rose extract?

One. Half. Teaspoon. At. A. Time.


These lovely little nibbles made the Easter dinner buffet dessert line up. I added a half teaspoon of the infamous rose extract from the Ispahan loaf cake adventure and it was a really pleasant touch. I opted to bake these off in a mini petit four pan - since I don't have a financier pan - and I am not sure I am allowed to add to my baking collection for the time being (although did sneak in a couer a la creme mold). Between the browned butter and the almond flour, these cookies (or are they cakes?) were easy to make and had a really pleasing texture.

Three thumbs up!


My mind is currently on hyper-overdrive. Everything is running through my head in one great, big run-on sentence. I am trying to find my mental punctuation so that my brain can breathe...

If only I could dole out my thoughts one-half teaspoon at a time, like I am doing with the rose extract.

I was hit with a significant short deadline project at work - which sent me into hyper-get-it-done-super-multitask-take-no-prisoners-crazy-mode. It's not a pretty sight.

Unfortunately (or fortunately?), when I go into hyper mode, I can't just leave it at the office - it follows me everywhere. Which is very unfortunate for the people that I live with because if mom's on a tangent - it's all hands on deck. My family will probably be giving me the stink eye for another week or two; however, my pantry, stove and cupboards have never been cleaner. It's one of life's trade-offs. I keep reminding them of how much they love me. No one has contradicted me on that point. Yet.

And if mom's happy, life at home is much less complicated.

It's axiomatic.


It is pouring in this neck of the woods. I looked out the window this morning and was all excited because I thought I saw buds on the trees. Then I realized that it was just ice making the branches appear lighter in color - not buds. I know they say April showers bring May flowers, but I also hope that it melts March snow. I am down to one strip of snow left - spring will come.

Until then, I will take my flowers in the form of tasty little cakes (or are they cookies??? - I am still confused).

Peace out.



This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie. The recipe for financiers can be found here on Dorie's site.

P.S. Thanks all for the book recommendations last week.My library reading wish list now has a lovely selection of choices and I can't wait to dig in. Right now, I am working on Dearie: The Remarkable Life of Julia Child. I find the subject matter (Julia Child) interesting; I am struggling with the author's writing style. I'll give it a few more chapters and keep my fingers crossed that I get "over the hump". 

24 comments:

  1. Beautiful mini financier -flower cakes! There are so many baking pans etc. for bakers to choose from now..all I can say is I'm thankful I have extra storage out of my kitchen. Our weather is just warm and gorgeous this week-we had a dry rainy season with just a few days of heavy rain..I can already see the water bills going up...I know that is probably hard for you to imagine with your snow still on the ground;-) Have a wonderful weekend Cher ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I have a very similar pan and didn't even think to use it. Brilliant! That's what happens when you move into a 600 sq. ft. cottage and half your kitchenware is still in boxes in the storage shed. I also thought about that rose syrup ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant... another use for that large bottle of rose extract and I can image the taste... delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I call them cakes. And such pretty patterns perfect for the rose extract. Adorable Cher! I have a similar baking pan but I never used it because I don´t want to have them all stuck in the bottom. So I don´t know what recipe to use. Now I know! Have a great and smooth weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am planning on making a margarita with the rose syrup tonight, will post about it.

    Love the roses, all the more reason to add the rose syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your pretty little nibbles. Your pan is fabulous. Those little roses of yours look pretty darn perfect. And, with confectionary sugar, it made me think of mini-beignets although I know they aren't made the same way. I assume you made your project deadline (as your superiors knew you would) and can have a nice week-end......if cod and spinach is a nice week-end. I'm trying to get my arms around that but I never doubt Dorie. Haven't read "Dearie" but about ten yearsago I gave myself permission to NOT finish a book I'd started if it wasn't good. That was such a relief that I'd finally matured to that point.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of using these mini flower tins, the cakes look extra beautiful :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm soooo not allowed to add to my baking pan collection right now too! lol. The thought occurred to me to add the rose to these, especially when I saw how everyone was adding raspberries so I'm glad you actually did it. In the end I went 'classic' but now I will certainly make rose financiers too. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cute are these!!! I have always wanted to make financiers - seeing these makes me want to make them even more. I used to finish books no matter what, until my sister informed me that life is too short to struggle through a bad read. I still struggle with putting it down. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What superbly precious baking tins! Your financiers are downright gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are so cute and pretty. We had a late storm, too, but this week has been in the 90s. Crazy! I hope things calm down for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty! I love how they look as petit forts. Hope things calm down for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful financiers…love the rose pattern of your pretty little cakes…and I bet the rose flavoring was wonderful!
    We have finally had some gorgeous days in the 70’s…no snow left on the ground…yeah!!! Spring is just around the corner…my trees are budding!
    Have a great weekend, Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What cute little cakes (I'm going to go with cakes, just because). And great idea for using up your rose syrup. Mine has gone into the cupboard, likely to be found during a cleaning frenzy in 5 years time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful idea to use your petit four pan...what gorgeous shapes! We're back to winter here today...then 30º warmer tomorrow. Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cher, I ordered that very same Nordic Ware pan years ago, it is one of the prettiest cake pans I own and kudos to you for using it for these dainty little French tea cakes (that´s what the French say, "les cakes").
    Hope things will slow down somewhat and life will run more smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I crave that gorgeous pan! Everything has to taste better out of that pan! If you're like me you have to take advantage of the times of hyper-activity. I never know when the opposite state will hit. We are budding out and blooming here. Hope your weekend is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your financiers - the shapes are gorgeous. I've yet to make these, but I'm looking forward to it. I also have yet to make the Ispahan cake, so my rose extract and syrup aren't even opened yet...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the look of your cakes from that pan. I don't think you even need to think about a new pan for this recipe.
    Have faith that spring will come. I have lots of bulbs blooming (though we did have some hail yesterday). It's more warmer than colder lately. So, hopefully that's coming your way soon. Another Julia Child book to check out is As Always, Julia. It's a collection of letters between Julia and Avis deSoto while she was writing Mastering the Art. What a fascinating glimpse into another place and time. I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your financiers are so beautiful, Cher. Those kind of flowers are the best kind because you can eat them. ;) What a great choice to use that mold and also use up some of that rose extract at the same time. I hope it warmed up for you this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your little flower-shaped financiers are so beautiful - and very fitting with the rose syrup. Hope you had a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cher these are absolutely gorgeous! Nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What fun! I've never seen a petit four pan before. They are gorgeous, and the rose extract sounds like a nice touch. I wish I were more like you. When I get really busy at work I have even less motivation to do things around the house. I hope the work project went well!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.