2013/05/17

Food Revolution Day (French Fridays with Dorie: Strawberry Goat Cheese Salad) #FRD2013

When Mardi first suggested the idea of the Food Revolution Day & merging it with one of our group's French Fridays, I was very intrigued by the premise of the program: getting back to real food.


Here is what was posted on the FFWD site: "Food Revolution Day is a chance for people all over the world to come together and stand up for good food and essential cooking skills. It’s a chance for people to come together in homes, schools, workplaces and communities to cook and share their kitchen skills, food knowledge and resources. Food Revolution Day is a global day of action to raise awareness about the importance of good food and better food education for everyone.

The theme for this year’s Food Revolution Day is “Cook it. Share it.” – something all of us here at French Fridays with Dorie are passionate about already!"


The more I thought about it - the more it made sense to me. After all, French Fridays IS a journey through getting back to the kitchen and sharing the fruits of our labors with our loved ones. Long simmering stews, tasty salads and soups, appetizers worthy of sharing with friends.

It's not only about nourishment of the body, but it is about community - which feeds the soul.

Since on Food Revolution Day, we will be headed down to NYC to take in a Yankees game (Runner Girl came home this week, so this is our first major family outing in a while), I thought it would be worth a recounting of how real food played a part in "community" over the past week.

Every couple of months, the First floor of my office building plans a communal food day - each one centering around a theme. This past Friday, the theme was "healthy grazing" and we were all challenged to bring in a healthful dish to share. It was a good reminder to all that good food can also be good for you.

The following day, I had the very rare opportunity to gather for brunch with family in celebration of an upcoming wedding. Of course, you can't have a family gathering without lots of food. Family. Food. Family. Food. Time around the table was spent catching up and comparing notes on our childhoods. (I was the dessert maven - Dorie's financiers & couer a la creme made an appearance, along with the pistachio cake below).


Speaking of food & family, I would be remiss if I didn't mention Mother's Day dinner. Culinary Kid was in charge of (as much as any one can be in control in my kitchen...) the salad and The Dude was on grill duty (shrimp and filet).

As you can tell, Culinary Kid shares the "don't take my picture" gene with her mother. That's my girl!


The salad was originally intended be the strawberry goat cheese tartine from Around My French Table. Except... for the small problem that the only bread in the house was a loaf of English Muffin toasting bread. I had lettuce... so salad, it became.


We finished dinner off with this French Yogurt Cake from Baking.

Food. Family. Community.Three places where giving your best makes a difference.

Peace out.


Goat Cheese Strawberry Salad with Balsamic Dressing
Concept loosely based on Strawberry-Goat Cheese Tartine from Around My French Table
  
For salad
1 cup strawberries, sliced
1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
1 head Boston lettuce
1 1/2 tsp whole pink peppercorns, crushed (if you don't have a mortar & pestle, place them in a sturdy zippered plastic bag, cover with a towel and give them a good pounding with the flat side of a meat tenderizer) 

For dressing
3 Tbs balsamic vinegar
2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
1 Tbs grainy mustard
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste

To make the dressing, combine all ingredients in a 1/2 pint canning jar and shake vigorously.

To make the salad, layer the lettuce, strawberries and goat cheese in a large bowl. Sprinkle the peppercorns on top. Drizzle with dressing and serve.

This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie. For more information regarding Food Revolution Day, visit any of the following sites.

Facebook: www.facebook.com/foodrevolutioncommunity
Twitter: www.twitter.com/foodrev (use #FRD2013)
Google+: www.google.com/+foodrevolutioncommunity
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/foodrevolution
Instagram: @foodrev (add your photos using #FRD2013)

25 comments:

  1. "Food. Family. Community.Three places where giving your best makes a difference. " I couldn't have said it better myself Cher. You totally hit the nail on the head this FRD2013.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, your salad looks marvelous...I think I'd prefer it over a tartine. What a gorgeous dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of sharing food activities this week Cher, so perfect. And you guys prepared some serious stuff! Love the strawberry salad, a recipe I missed. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Food revolution day! =D
    Your salad Cher sounds like my kind of thing oh and the dressing is another crowd pleaser for sure! I understand your daughter, to click snaps is easier then to be in a photo. ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  5. First things first…go Yankees!! Your salad sounds delicious and looks so pretty with all those strawberries. A great way to revisit Dories recipe!
    One last thing…love, love your daughters beautiful hair! Have a wonderful weekend, Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So totally agree with you, food, family, community. I love your post about all of your activities - and of course your meal looks delicious!! I'll have to try your salad! Hope you have a fabulous time at the game.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your post. All of your activities... in my family too, food and family certainly go together! Your dinner looks delicious, and I need to try that salad!!

    Hope you have a terrific time at the game!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cher, what a delicious choice of recipe to celebrate today´s Jamie Oliver´s Food Revolutio Day in style - it looks so delicious but so does all the other fabulous food that you made, love the picture of that very pretty cake that you made for the bridal shower!
    Have a wonderful Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well said, Cher. I think that community and food are inextricably entwined. What a lovely bunch of dishes you prepared. I think the pistachio cake is especially beautiful. And it's perfectly in synch with Food Revolution Day to have the Culinary Kid take the lead on the strawberry-goat cheese salad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful meal right down to the cake... funny that anti-picture gene is starting to come up with my daughter too. Enjoy the Yankees (Don't tell Betsy) and have a pretzel and a beer on me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like that you turned the tartine into a salad. Strawberries and goat cheese go so well together...Your dessert spread for brunch sounds amazing. What a lucky family! The cake is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a yummy looking meal Cher! I hope you're having fun at the Yankee game and enjoying your food revolution day ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! I think I'd enjoy the salad version better, anyway! What a lovely celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're a Yankee fan? I don't know if we can be friends anymore. (Ha Ha -- I typed this BEFORE I saw Diane's comment.) Though we do agree about food, family, community, so maybe. All those dishes look fantastic, especially the salad, but everything. Hope you have/had a great family outing this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope you have a brilliant day at the game my friend, sounds like fun :D
    These dishes looks lovely, especially that salad its gorgeous!

    Cheers
    CCU

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh god... that's a gorgeous red mane on Culinary Kid. I'd like to think she's showing it off for us instead of hiding behind it.

    And long live the revolution! Here's to good food and good company and hoping for more to jump into the bandwagon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, food definitely tastes better when shared. A lovely post and a totally gorgeous cake.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Everything looks delicious, but I especially love the salad. I am definitely going to
    try that. What a wonderful way to enjoy a family outing, hope you all enjoyed the
    game.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the concept Cher, with everything one hears and reads about the additives and stuff added to the so called food sold in stores, cooking things from scratch and enjoying them with the ones you love becomes that much more important and meaningful

    ReplyDelete
  20. Holy moly- I would assign you dessert duty as well if you brought that kind of stuff to events :) What a lucky family and crowd- that pistachio cake looks stunning and I know the rest did too. Loved the concept your office bldg shares-fab. And my you had a lovely Mother's Day dinner- off the charts. I share that photogene as well :) It was terrible for our wedding photographer since the photo part was almost painful for me- so you can imagine on "ordinary events". I like to keep to my memories instead :) Enjoy the summer with runner girl....

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds like a lovely shared meal. I couldn't rustle up any community to help me, that is for sure. I made sure to share the dishes though.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your salad - it sounds and looks delicious! Don't you hate it when you plan to make somehting then realise a crucial ingredient is missing - then on to Plan B!

    ReplyDelete
  23. everything looks and sounds awesome, especially that pistachio cake

    ReplyDelete
  24. No office I've ever worked at had a "communal food day" - sounds fun! Nice save with the salad - it looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  25. what a great dish! love the salad and the "communal food day" - its a great alternative to eating out and seeing what people come up with!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.