2013/05/03

For one (French Fridays with Dorie: Creamy Mushrooms & Eggs)

Sunday mornings.

There is something very sacred to me about those first few hours of Sunday.

By Sunday morning, usually all the hustle and bustle of Saturday has been tucked away and is relegated to memory.

Any major chores for the day are still a couple of hours away.

One of my favorite things to do on a Sunday morning is to get up a couple of hours before the rest of the house, brew a pot of coffee and just enjoy the calm.

Not only is the house quiet, but a sense of calm pervades the whole neighborhood.

There are no kids on bikes calling after each other, no lawn mowers (or snow blowers) running, the neighbors kitty-corner haven't started yelling at each other yet...

 
During this time, I may begin some of the day's projects - like starting a batch of bread, or preparing a batch of yogurt for the incubator - mindless tasks that are in alignment with the calm.

Or I may take advantage of the opportunity to claim temporary ownership of the remote.

Or, when the weather finally warms up, a few stolen minutes may be spent on the front porch curled up with that cup of coffee and a book.

Those moments of time before the world comes at me like a splash of ice water go along way towards restoring my sense of balance.


This past weekend, since it was just the Culinary Kid and I, I realized that my peaceful Sunday morning would be extended - there was no way she was going to show her face before 11:00.

When I saw that this week's FFwD choice involved poached eggs and mushrooms, I realized that I was on my own with this one. There was no way that either of those items were going to make it into her mouth.

With those two pieces of knowledge in mind, I decided that this Sunday morning would include breakfast for one. Twenty minutes later, I was sitting on the living room floor - coffee in one hand, the remote in the other and a plate of creamy goodness over toast sitting in front of me.


When I read the title for creamy mushrooms and eggs, I have to admit that my vision of what this dish would be was way different than the reality. I was thinking scrambled eggs with mushrooms. Don't ask why, that idea was just stuck in my head...

It was a happy surprise when I actually read through the reicpe and realized how easy this dish was to pull together. Poach a couple of eggs (the egg part would have gone a little easier if I had remembered to spray the plastic wrap). Toast a couple of slices of bread. Sautee some mushrooms and simmer in cream and toss in some chives and parsley to finish it off (I worked with what I had in the fridge).

Plate them together and the perfect Sunday morning breakfast for one is yours for the asking. Coffee, optional (well, not really).


On an unrelated note, following my less than stellar experience with the book Dearie (the Julia Child biography), I am pleased to report that Sister Queens: The Noble Tragic Lives of Katherine of Aragon & Juana, Queen of Castile (by Julia Fox) is a far more enjoyable read. Whenever I think my life is rough, I thank my lucky starts that I was not the unfortunate first wife of Henry VIII... Things look a heckuva lot more positive in that light.

Peace out.

This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie.

26 comments:

  1. These were delish - and yours look fab basking in the sunlight. I am proud of my poached egg - sometimes poached eggs don't work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm making this for myself for lunch today. Looking forward to it. Yours looks so good! I can't wait until the day Charlie sleeps until 11. These days, 7:30 feels like a luxury. ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a trade-off :-) Teen-age sleep comes with teen-sized issues. But yes, I do love those mornings when the girls pull the pillow over their head for an extra few hours...

      Delete
  3. I feel the same way about the first few hours of the day. Such calm. And after thinking it meant scrambled eggs too, had a great late breakfast. This is a good recipe any day! I adore historic novels and biographies, used to devour them years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be making this again and again - it has ingredients I usually have on hand and it's so easy. And not to mention tasty. And perfect to cook for one person!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the same thought about scrambled eggs and was surprised when I read poached! When I had my family at home I would tip toe around the house so I was sure to not wake anyone on Sunday mornings; the peace was sacred. With retirement and grown children every day is like a sacred Sunday! Yet still feels special.......

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I don't get that one our a day on Sunday like the one you describe I go crazy! I just can't bring myself to poach eggs in plastic wrap for some reason. I went with soft boiled.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I wrote some of those same words this week, about the creamy eggs and mushrooms! I know exactly what you're saying about the luxurious private moments of the morning. They are to be treasured! And such a great dish to share those moments with. Glad to hear the new book is a better read. I just finished Canada by Richard Ford over a solitary breakfast this morning. I recommend it. Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sunday mornings, love them myself. I'm still marveling about the morning you got up at 3am to proof the croissants - was that a Sunday? Knowing that they would be gone in a flash. Your comment, "That's what I do." is one I think about whenever I go the extra mile and wonder if the effort is worth it. Of course it is, that's what I do. Ahhh, youth, did you REALLY gobble up three eggs for breakfast? I admire your plowing through "Dearie". I decided not to read it after several luke-warm reviews including yours but I'm going to put Sister Queens on reserve at the library. Thanks. If you want to read about a woman who really,really, really had a challenging life, read Massie's book about Catherine the Great. It is so good and worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really only two eggs - I had a bit of a "fail" when I unmolded one of them :-)
      As a Middle European history major, I enjoy reading biographies from the rulers of that time. Will have to add Katherine the Great's story to my list... If you've read "My Life in France" you've already read most of the redeeming parts of Dearie...

      Delete
  9. I'll probably take a stab at both Dearie and Sister Queens. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny, I love getting up extra early just to have an hour to myself! This was a perfect dish and a perfect one to enjoy by yourself on a quite sunday morning!! They look delectable! Have a wonderful weekend, Cher!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I could sleep in a little on Sunday morning but I seem to be the only one who hears the poor dog whimpering to go outside... funny how that is? But there is a calm about it. Sunday is an oasis from the rest of the week and your breakfast for one sounds like the perfect celebration of that Sunday state of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cher, there is nothing like a few quiet hours on a Sunday morning, I agree, but they are really hard to come by around here - the kids usually get up at 7 a.m. on Sunday and that is also the end of the "quite" time around the house...having said that, your creamy mushrooms and eggs look delighful, so nice to see that you liked them - I made them as an appetizer for our very late Friday lunch.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yup, I went solo, too! I was glad I didn't have to share! Have a great weekend, Cher.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely way to start a Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the peace and quiet in the morning with my first cup of coffee, and it seems most
    of the ladies feel the same way. Thanks Cher, things are improving nicely and Tricia
    and I keep thinking things happen for a reason. I could not imagine being that far away
    while all was happening in Boston. This was a good recipe that I will definitely use again,
    and yours looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haha for one is always the best ;)
    This looks delicious!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a perfect meal for one and simple enough not to spoil the peace and quiet of a lovely morning. I like hearing about what folks are reading - I've just started Tamar Adler's An Everlasting Feast and it's quite good. Actually, she has quite a lot to say about eggs, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read Everlasting Feast and really enjoyed it. After reading that, I looked at every scrap of food a little differently.

      Delete
  18. I was so nervous about trying the plastic wrap. I thought it might melt. Minus the sticking, did it work out okay? Your eggs are very pretty, so I'm guessing it did. I love the plate you served your breakfast on. It's so nice to do something fun just for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I have followed this technique a few times with good success. As long as you use a decent wrap and remember to use non-stick spray before dropping the egg in there, it is a fun technique and results in nicely cooked eggs.

      Delete
  19. Good thinking on just enjoying it yourself in the solitude- plus not waiting for a teenager to wake up :) Gorgeous results and nice to know the saran wrap thing does work.I chickened out after mine melted in another recipe but need a better way to poach eggs (so I can breath and not freak the entire time I am doing it :). Thanks also for the great comments and sentiments about our recently cancelled trip as well as Mr BU and all that occurred there. Strange times indeed. Nice to be back in the kitchen again. Esp before the kids are home for the summer.....kidding :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your dish looks great. This was a wonderful recipe -- simple and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely post. A great description of your perfect Sunday morning. So happy that this worked out so that you could enjoy and indulge a little. Thanks for the book tip. I'm always looking for something new to read. That sounds interesting - yep, I'm thinking it would take a lot more than a cup of coffee to bring any calm to being married to Henry VIII.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was on my own for this one too, but it was so easy and so delicious I didn't mind!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.