2013/06/18

For when you just can't be bothered (Tuesdays with Dorie BWJ: Tomato & Cheese Galette)

I normally tout galettes as casual or rustic...

There is a certain beauty in their apparent simplicity.

Sometimes however, there is a "dark side" to  my galette making.

Galettes are also one of those things that I make when I just don't give a "fig" but want people to think that I gave a "fig".

This is real talk.


Running out of time? Throw some stuff on pie dough and gather up the sides and call it a galette.

Horrible at shaping pie crusts? Throw some stuff on pie dough and gather up the sides and call it a galette.


Have random stuff hanging out in the refrigerator that you want to use? No worries, throw it on pie dough, gather up the sides and call it a galette.

Don't feel like turning on the oven? If you have a heavy baking stone, you can totally bake them on the grill. For real.


Get the drift????

This time, tomatoes and cheese were the "stuff" thrown on to the pie dough. A drizzle of oil. A few grinds of the pepper mill. A sprinkle of balsamic would "up the ante" and take it just past not giving a "fig" into rustic elegance.

It's all good and no one ever needs to know whether or not you gave a "fig" or not...

They never, ever need to know.


Peace out.

This post participates in Tuesdays with Dorie.

26 comments:

  1. Just lovely, Cher! It looks so elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cherry tomatoes looks great! And come to think of it, a fig filling would be tasty too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your galette looks wonderful! Let's have a picnic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Galettes (as I am sure you know) are one of my favourite things. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, Cher? Wasn't this wonderful????

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful summer galette! You manage to make me smile with your posts

    ReplyDelete
  7. for someone who doesn't give a fig, that looks great! and speaking of figs, they aren't in season yet either...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love galettes. So much easier than pie. Yours looks beautiful. I'm hoping to attempt this one next week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hear ya sister. Totally elegant output with minimal work. And you get to clean out the fridge to boot. My kind of recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved your post! It is true, galettes do seem a look easier than pies. I don't do pies very well....but I think I could whip up a galette!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shhh, not giving a fig is our little secret....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun post! Thanks for sharing, oh and btw -- i love cooking on the grill!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love all the different colored tomatoes and the half sun/half shade photo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hehehe I love dishes like this one...no one needs to know what you think or how much effort went into them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree a fig filling would be great, and it would look like you gave a fig! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. yes, a galette is very adaptable and forgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so funny! I know how about fig and arugula on pizza dough fold up the edges and call it a galatte! Love your humor.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're funny and so are your commenters. Galettes are the "chopped salads" of the pastry world.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are a riot. I love the different types of tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great looking tomato cheese galette…but figs would work nicely, too! Funny post, Cher…have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great post--galettes are my kind of pie!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hysterical and so true. They can be so deceiving! Yours looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are SO right ... anytime I make anything that's sort of misshapen or odd I just call it rustic.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks delicious! What a great idea to make it on the grill. My husband thought this was a really fancy dinner - I didn't tell him how easy it was to make!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love tomato + [insert summer vegetable] galettes. I love free-form pies (no pressure!), and the grill is my favorite way to keep the dang heat out of the kitchen. Your galette makes want to run out and give my tomato plants an extra dose of fertilizer and love to hurry-the-heck-up.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.