2013/06/14

I've got your back? (French Fridays with Dorie: Back of the Card Cheese & Olive Bread)

There are things that stick around in my head for a very long time. Which is pretty darn amazing, since I often can't remember what I was up to five minutes ago.

When I first joined French Fridays with Dorie and saw this particular recipe in Around My French Table, I knew - just knew - what this post would be. I was hoping that my anticipation of the recipe in light of the post wouldn't fall flat when I tasted the results. Such pressure.

Now, I am left hoping that the post concept lives up to the recipe. Or that it doesn't scare everyone.

Anyhoo.


On a ledge in my office sits a three-ringed binder.

I've had this binder for about 15 years.

Inside this binder are sheets of business card holders - filled near to bursting with these tokens of human interaction over the years. Last time I checked, I estimated there were over a 1,000 business cards in there.

The amount accumulated on annual basis would vary, depending on my position at the time. The years that I spent in operations support and during my time in the factory, didn't get a lot of business card action. My time in purchasing kept that book mighty busy.

As contacts floated in and out of my peripheral, I found that I needed a way of keeping track of them. The names and faces would blur together and it's kind of embarrassing when you go to meet with someone you've met previously and you have no idea who the heck they are.

So I started keeping notes on the back of these business cards. I would include the date I met them, any pertinent personal information or distinguishing characteristics. And my impression of that person. Yes, I wrote my impressions on the back of their business cards. If that book were ever to get in the wrong hands, I probably would have some explaining to do.

Sometimes, when I am digging through the book, trying to come up with an association for a name that comes my way (usually because they are now working for a different company and I have to remember who they used to work for...), I will flip those business cards over and take a look at what my first impressions were.

Normally, they are pretty banal observations (hair color, height, age, etc) - sometimes, not so much.

For example, there is one gentleman who used to regularly call at our offices. I would say that he was definitely a bit outside of the corporate "norm". He would pull up to our offices in his extended cab, American built (obvs) pick up truck wearing lots of heavy gold chains and very tight T-shirts (so that the world would know that he spent a lot of time at the gym). He also had some pretty definite ideas of a woman's role in the workplace and would share them with me every visit - note to sales people: this is not a great approach if you want someone to buy your company's services. My note on the back of his card: "lifts weights", "Run". Those three words told me all I needed to know and I've never had any trouble keeping his face straight in my head. (No disrespect meant to anyone who works out.) True story.

Another of my contacts was a man who was in his late-30's at the time and still lived with his parents. He liked to tell me about his dating life. (I won't even expand on what my mental replies were to THAT.) His card? "Lives with parents"; "Seems to need to socialize more"; "Bring back up to meeting".

An older gentleman, who was exactly that - a gentleman - received the notation of "refined".

Another gentleman who was very aggressive in his approach was marked as "You will use us or else mentality". A couple of month's later, I noted that he had been "canned" and had drawn a smiley face next to that marking. He must have really rubbed me the wrong way.

Apparently another vendor also didn't have a good handle on what makes me tick at work because their notation was "drops in with out appointments". There is a gate guard at our site and I am not afraid to use them to keep out unexpected visitors...

I must have a thing about teeth, because the state of people's teeth would often be listed as an identifying feature. The words "family guy" was frequently noted next to those I had a favorable impression of. "Good natured" and "pleasant" were not uncommon notations.

I could tell that one individual had rankled me at some point - the words "hard to get a hold of" were written in all caps on the back of her card, with multiple underlines.

Some of my favorite notations are a bit self-incriminating and not as "high-road" as they ought to be.

There are cards in my file that serve to remind me of colleagues who are no longer with us. It just seems wrong to throw out the business card of someone who has passed - it feels like that would be throwing away traces of their place on this earth. I am being fanciful with this notion; but if it were me, I would take comfort in the idea that someone somewhere down the road would have a glimpse of me and who I was when they came across my business card.


The back of business cards may provide stimulation for my mind, but Back of the Card Cheese and Olive Bread provides stimulation for my stomach. (How do you like THAT transition, huh?)

Tapenade, olives and a blend of cheeses (aged cheddar and some other cheese that I can't think of the name of) joined forces to create this moist (at least mine was) and savory quick bread.

I enjoyed it best slightly warm - fresh from the oven, but it was also pretty darn good toasted a couple of days later.  It paired perfectly with a greens salad. It was also made for good nibbling by itself.

It had just the right amount of "presence" - unlike Mr. "Drop by Unannounced" who seems to have a little bit too much presence for my liking.

Maybe if he had shown up with a loaf of this bread, I might have been less aggravated...

Peace out.

This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie. The recipe for "back of the card" cheese and olive bread can be found here where Dorie published it in a newsletter.

22 comments:

  1. I love that you already had the post written in your head 18 months ago!!! And I agree, it definitely had prescence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Books are made from binders like yours. I can imagine the stories they tell.
    I was thinking about you as I made this bread, love how you lobby for recipes! This one toasted has to be the best way. The other savory bread with cheese and chives was the bomb toasted. Have a good weekend my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice looking bread Cher!
    I love the transition from the back of the business cards to the back of the recipe cards! Seamless :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this one - and yes, it is just lovely warm. You were good to keep so many notes on business acquaintances, but a great networking idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol I need to note down your tactic with the business cards. I am horrible with names... and yes I have been embarrassed. I like this kind of bread and I wish I could make it. The problem is that we won't get the quality Greece olives until september here so I ll have to wait. Same thing with the cheddar. Have a nice weekend Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was highly entertained by your post today. What a great idea and what a fun memory to read through on occasion. I wonder what people are writing on the back of my business card:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ingenius use of business cards and what how fun to go through them now and then, especially with a glass of wine and some olive bread.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love to drop by and see what story you have for us all...you don't disappoint, my friend. Your bread looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahhaha...a good transition indeed! YOur bread looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous post! It has the makings of a short story! BTW, I just had business cards printed for Seattle (front & back!), so what will you write on mine? (Just a rhetorical question!) LOL!

    Have a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good story, good bread. What more could you ask for?

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so right about toasted part. Toasted is what this wants to be. (And it told me that two times today already.) And you know what else? I have TONS of business cards with notes on the back. I would cease to function professionally without them. Yikes. I can't even think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cher, lovely blog post and certainly a very entertaining Saturday morning read - glad that you enjoyed this delicious quick bread recipe so much - it was a nice recipe to get creative with!
    Have a wonderful weekend - with some good reads!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well Cher I cannot help but admire your power of association. This is one of my favourite posts EVER!!! and I am thinking of sending you my business card so that I too become part of your nice collection :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your post gave me a chuckle! Great organizational skills :) What notes will go on the back of this recipe card? I have a hard time deleting entries from my address book for people who passed, so they stay. I remember them when I look up people near them alphabetically. Hope the sun is shining this weekend where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I REALLY need to put more thought into my posts:) Love your system. You have a kind of history of your work there. I preferred the bread just out of the oven too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. how intersting that you do this! I bet it will be fun to go through in the years to come :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. loved your story. the bread would have to be really great to top it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an interesting post, and what a great idea! I have stacks of business cards, but can't remember who the vast majority of the people are. Glad you liked the bread!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wish I had your way with words.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really enjoyed reading this. What fun to peruse your business cards and remember good and not-so-good! It's true that impressions are important.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.