2013/07/14

The heat is on (Fig & Yogurt Cups)

When the thermometer soars, I find that I can be particularly reluctant to spend a lot of time in the kitchen.

70 F - I am still game.

80 F - it's hit or miss.

90 F - well....I want to play with food, but I really don't want to be anywhere near a stove or an oven or any other heat generating device that can be found inside of my kitchen (rice cooker and crock pot excepted...and the coffee pot - its never too hot for that morning cup of coffee)

Which means that meals either have to be cooked on the grill or prepared sans heat.

Including breakfast. 



On those days when the temperature at 8 AM is already closing in on 80, you can keep your eggs, pancakes, waffles and hot sticky buns.

There will plenty of time for all of that in a few short months when the temperature reading on the thermometer is a little less scary.

But for now, I want something less complicated but still satisfying.

And portable - something easily carried out to the back deck where it can be enjoyed with that Saturday morning cup of coffee.


This month's Daring Cooks challenge was to make homemade yogurt.  The second part of this month's Daring Cooks challenge, was to make something with that yogurt - preferably something that met the requirements laid out above. 


Like these fig & yogurt cups...

Plump figs and sesame seeds form the base for these yogurt cups. Throw in tangy Greek yogurt, a healthy dose of maple syrup and some granola and breakfast is served. Or lunch. Or dinner....

Hey, you won't see me judge.

Surely, it beats a dinner of six marshmallows and a hunk of cheese. Not that I've ever done that... Um, yeah...

Peace out.



Fig & Yogurt Cups
Adapted from The Sprouted Kitchen Cookbook

Serves 4

8 dried figs
1 1/2 Tbs black sesame seeds
1/2 tsp kosher salt
2 1/2  cups Greek yogurt - plain or vanilla
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground galangal or ground ginger
4 Tbs maple syrup

Granola, for serving

4 half-pint canning jars or other similar sized lidded containers

Soak the figs in a small bowl filled with hot water for 10-15 minutes to soften. Drain figs well and chop into 1/4" sized pieces.

Using the back of a fork, smash together the figs with the sesame seeds and salt until a thick "paste" forms. Divide the fig-sesame paste among the four containers and press the mixture into the bottom of the jars.

Stir together the yogurt with the cinnamon and galangal (or ginger). Divide the yogurt between the four containers by layering the yogurt mixture on top of the fig mixture. Top each container with 1 Tbs of maple syrup.

To serve, sprinkle granola on top - as much or as little as you wish.  I promise, I won't send the granola police out after you.

Enjoy.

Assembled cups may be stored tightly covered (minus the granola) in the refrigerator for a few days.

6 comments:

  1. Kudos for sticking with it. I think twice about baking anything when it's over 74 degrees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great! I am going to try this very soon. I love that you can make it (mostly) ahead of time for a grab-and-go meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! That looks delicious! Oh how I agree with how hard it is to cook on the summer heat! In Houston I just crank the a/c and make the best of it, otherwise I would never be able to cook. I will definitely try these parfaits, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd have these for brekky in a flash!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree this looks yummy! The sun never came out and it was cold all day today...I baked cookies but would have made yogurt if I would have thought of it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mum always made her own yogurt, it's the only yogurt I ate growing up.
    I also ate a lot of figs growing up thanks to my mum! So your dish sounds perfect to me and looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.