2013/07/02

Rainy days and Sundays... (Tuesdays with Dorie BWJ: Baked Yogurt Tart)

It's been really rainy here.

On one hand, my grass has never been so green.

On the other hand, the sump pump in my basement is getting quite a work out. 

Unfortunately, all that rain has also been creating flooding issues locally - things are pretty messy down along the Mohawk River.



What does that all have to do with a baked yogurt tart?

Nothing really, other than we ate it while sitting on the front porch while watching the rain come pouring down.

We also were watching the hummingbird that has taken a liking to the fuchsia plants I have hanging out front.

It was a relaxing way to spend a Sunday evening.

Much better than mowing the lawn... or weeding... or painting...



I have included a link to the recipe for the baked yogurt tart below, but here are the adjustments that I made to the recipe...

Instead of using the flaky pastry dough from Baking with Julia, I used the infamous vodka pie dough from America's Test Kitchen (I had Raspberry vodka in the freezer, so went with that). Also substituted full fat Greek yogurt for the non-fat yogurt - why the heck would you ever want to use non-fat yogurt in baking? It just didn't make sense to me... Vanilla sugar that was hanging out in the cupboard also found its way into the mix. Raspberries were the berry of choice - because I had them on hand already.

The end result was a cheesecake like concoction, that was the perfect ending to a rainy, summer evening.

If you are celebrating Independence Day this week, I wish you a safe holiday. 

Peace out.



This post participates in Tuesdays with Dorie. The recipe for the baked yogurt tart can be found here.

19 comments:

  1. Your raspberry tart looks great. I have some homemade raspberry vodka. I never thought of using it for the vodka pie crust. It would make the crust pink, but I bet it would taste great. Maybe I'll have to try a raspberry version...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a cheesecake from here, and very tempting Cher! I´m borrowing the raspberry vodka idea for a crust, so clever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. The vodka pie dough sounds amazing and you were right to use full fat yoghurt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your changes sound great. I have yet to try that vodka pie crust recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been on the fence about what yogurt to use. I normally follow recipes, but I couldn't see the point of using fat free yogurt and I never keep it in the house. I'm glad to know this worked (beautifully!) with full fat yogurt. That's definitely what I'll use.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Cher! I’d love to try that vodka pastry…sounds incredible. I thought of subbing whole fat yogurt in this, but I happened to have fat free in the fridge. It was very good…but I think the next time I will go with the whole fat version.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tweaks! So glad you all enjoyed this one. We thought it was fine...but by day two, it wasn't worth eating. We were supposed to have a drought this summer, but our sump pump is working overtime, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great! I agree, a much nicer way to spend an evening. I liked this tart and will no doubt make it again. (as I will need to use all the extra dough!!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vodka pie dough?!? I am SO going to try that! Looked it up and it says "foolproof". Woo-hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cher, beautiful presentation and wonderful choice of fresh berries - I love that you added lovely seasonal raspberries to your Jogurt Tart - makes for a delicious and elegant dessert!
    Have a wonderful Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha - I have been secretly (or not so secretly) glad that it's rained and stormed every weekend as it has gotten me out of weeding. I would MUCH rather sit on my porch and eat yogurt tarts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous - I love raspberries in anything. Happy 4th July to you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you liked this! Happy Fourth!

    ReplyDelete
  14. looks lovely with raspberries. eating it on the porch sounds lovely, too! happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  15. looks lovely with the raspberries. eating it on the porch sounds lovely, too! happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful presentation, Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pretty! And yes, I do think a full-fat yogurt would have worked great. I used lowfat vanilla yogurt instead of nonfat plain yogurt because that's what I had on hand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks delicious! I will have to get my book and and try it this summer. I love the photo with the flower overlooking the tart! Happy 4th of July to you and your family -

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful! A great way to spend an evening, too!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.