2013/07/12

When life hands you a berry... (French Fridays with Dorie: Whole Cherry Clafoutis...Minus the Cherries)

When life hands you raspberries...

...make a clafoutis?



I know this was supposed to be a cherry clafoutis - pits and everything. However, since direction following seems to not be in my nature these days (and I already had raspberries in my possession...), it went in a different direction.

Otherwise, I made it as directed (Maybe a Tablespoon of Chambord ended up in there as well. Just Maybe.) It was a tasty, creamy summer dessert. Not quite a cake and not a custard. I am not sure what it wants to be when it grows up.

Now, to date, my favorite cherry clafoutis is this one - it comes with mascarpone whipped cream. Enough said. Because there are more important things to discuss today...


...like Sharknado.

Somehow, I ended up on SyFy last night night watching what has to be the most horrendous movie ever made.

Badly written screen play. Horrible acting. Miserable sound effects. I am pretty sure it was produced in someone's back yard...

I could feel my brain cells shriveling up as the movie progressed. 

So why did I keep watching?

For the Sharknado, of course. How could I possibly turn the channel when any minute (like 1 hour + into the movie), I would get to see a swirling funnel of sharks?

I am pretty sure my mother would not have been proud. It's going to take a whole lot of PBS viewing to bring the balance back to my brain lobes. Maybe I should throw in a few hours of watching the NASA station just for good measure.

It wasn't just me, though. This thing was blowing up my Twitter feed last night. There is some comfort in that, I guess - I am not the only person running around with dead brain cells this morning. I am pretty sure I even saw a Will Wheaton tweet.


Anyhoo... to sum it all up, here is my public service announcement for today:

Clafoutis is good. Stay away from Sharknados.

Peace out.


This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie. I couldn't find an official version of Dorie's whole cherry clafoutis on line; however, she does have a recipe for a cherry (minus the pits) rhubarb crumble over on her website.

25 comments:

  1. Ooh, I love the idea of mascarpone whipped cream (and making a raspberry clafoutis!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your clafoutis is perfect - I forgot the sprinkle of icing sugar on mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Raspberry clafoutis has to be wonderful! And I don't want to even think about a sharknado! I love your dish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be staying away from Sharknado, too, but I love the idea of raspberry clafoutis. I almost used my Polish pie plate, too! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I probably never saw the sci-fi channel, not even by mistake, so I don´t see any sharknado in my future. Though your comment will make me watch it if I ever see it announced, like a bad song that sticks. Anyway, your clafoutis looks so good, tall and creamy! It might even be tastier with raspberries. Good weekend Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes! I don’t want to even think of sharknados! Your clafoutis looks perfectly delicious…love the raspberries! It was so good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL - clafoutis is good. That is all we need to know. Raspberries make it double yum (my favourite "fruit".) Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Raspberries make a perfect clafoutis and yours looks really delicious. This was so easy, I can't wait to try it with plums.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everyone I know on FB is talking about Sharknado. I feel like I missed something. I'm not used to people actually watching something the same night. As for the clafoutis the other recipe you linked sounds much more interesting. I love the pitless raspberries, how did you ever find them without pits?

    ReplyDelete
  10. it looks great and I love the dish you baked yours in! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That not-quite-a-cake-or-a-custard looks tasty! Good grief, I'm going to have to make a clafoutis now. Missed the Sharknado but it was the talk of the morning shows on TV today. I guess some things are so bad they're irresistible!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the raspberries in your clafoutis one of my favourite combinations :D

    Cheers
    CCU

    ReplyDelete
  13. your claufoutis looks really good. this and the one you linked. and thanks for the warning against Sharknados !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cher, what a delicious choice of fruit for a French Clafoutis à la Cher! - It looks wonderful and I love to experiment with different fruits and berries in my Clafoutis as well!
    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful! This would be fantastic with raspberries. I couldn't believe the social media storm around Sharknado - ignore the internet for a couple of weeks and suddenly Ian Ziering is a thing again...sort of...

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's cool; I made mine with mixed berries.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I made mine with mini-heirloom tomatoes - sous chef thought we had too many desserts lately. Raspberry Clafouti looks delish, and Chambord is an inspired addition!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Chambord & Raspberry Clafoutis = inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Apparently I am one of the few people who kept all my brain cells intact, although I was wondering what the heck all the Sharknado chatter was about... Dorie gave us permission to play around with the recipe, so I am sure she would approve of your raspberry clafoutis!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't think Dorie would mind if I threw a little marscapone whipped cream on my cherry clafoutis. Your other recipe looked delicious. Any fruit works - raspberries never live long at my house. My favorite fruit. So I am not going to waste them on a clafoutis to share with others. Your nicer than I. I have now heard the word Sharknado twice today - in the New York Times (how's that for chi chi) and from you. Still do not have a clue what the hell it is. Something more to add to my to-do List - Sharknado.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Let me know if you want any recommendations about what to do in Vancouver - there's a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've probably said this before, but I am pop culture inept. I have no idea what Sharknado is. It's been a week of deprivation, I guess. I wasn't able to make claufoutis this week, cherry or otherwise. Raspberries are coming in strong (we have them in the backyard), so maybe I'll give your version a try as soon as I have time to go to the store for milk and cream. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  23. o, yum, raspberry clafouti!! Sharknado could not be any worse than Ghosts of Mars which is what I watched last nite. O. M. G. Double the PBS hours.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm still stuck on the mention of mascarpone whipped cream. That sounds excellent! I'm adding that to my list of summer recipes to try.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.