2013/07/27

Zelnicky - Sauerkraut Crackers (Daring Bakers July '13: Rewind)


So, I had this jar (or three) of sauerkraut left over from a fermenting experiment hanging around in my fridge...


I am sure I am not the only person out there with the problem of leftover experiments?

Please say it isn't so...


Any hoo...what does a person do when they have more sauerkraut than one can possibly consume in one's life time?


Make crackers, of course...


Now the concept of sauerkraut crackers was a little weird to me at first. Not weird in an "ewww" kind of way, but weird in a "oh, I have to try it and see how it works" kind of way.

I was pleasantly surprised.

It's 5 AM as I type this, so I will keep this one brief.

On to the recipe...

Peace out. 



Zelnicky (Sauerkraut crackers)
Adapted from The Baking Sheet (Autumn 2012)

1 cup (4 1/4 oz) unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 cup (1 oz) white whole wheat flour
1/4 cup (1 oz) grape seed flour
1/2 tsp black pepper
6 Tbs unsalted butter, cold & cut into 12 pieces
1 tsp caraway seeds (optional)
1 cup (6 oz) drained sauerkraut

In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flours and pepper. Pulse several times to combine. With the processor running, drop the butter into the bowl - a few pieces at a time until all pieces have been added. Pulse several more times until the butter has been well-combined and the mixture is coarse (like sandy crumbs). Add sauerkraut and caraway seeds and process until dough comes together and forms a ball that travels around on the blade of the processor (~1 minute). If the mixture doesn't form a dough ball after a minute or so, add cold water - 1 tsp at a time until the mixture comes together.

At this point, dough can be wrapped in plastic and refrigerated or rolled out.

To bake: preheat oven to 425F. Line two large (half sheet pan sized) pans with parchment paper or Silpat). Divide the dough into two pieces. Roll the first piece out onto a lightly floured surface to ~1/4" thickness. Using a pasta wheel or a pizza cutter (or other sharp cutting implement), cut into squares or rectangles (mine were roughly 1" - but precision was not the name of the game).

Transfer the crackers to the prepared baking sheets, prick with a fork. Repeat with second portion of dough.

Place both baking sheets in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350F, rotate the sheets (moving top to bottom and bottom to top) and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes - crackers should be golden brown. Remove baking sheets from the oven and cool on the pan for ~5 minutes. Transfer to a rack to complete cooling. (Crackers will become crisper as they cool).

May be stored at room temperature in an air-tight container.

This post participates in The Daring Bakers. For the month of July, we are taking the "go back and revisit and old challenge" approach. Sarah from All Our Fingers in the Pie was our February 2013 Daring Bakers’ host and she challenges us to use our creativity in making our own Crisp Flatbreads and Crackers!

12 comments:

  1. Great job on the challenge, crackers look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. Weird. I'd certainly try one, but I don't know that it sounds delicious enough to make myself. Unless I had jars of sauerkraut laying around, I guess. Who knew such a thing existed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably would never have tried it if I didn't have four quart-jars of sauerkraut hanging around. It wasn't as weird as I thought it would be.

      Delete
  3. Impressive. I made curried cream of zucchini soup yesterday. Zucchini overload. Peace back at ya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I know what to do with the end of the jar of sauerkraut that we never manage to use up in time! These are definitely going on my experimenting list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who knew you could put sauerkraut into crackers? I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As original as they come! Nice crackers Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sauerkraut crackers - now that's original!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL...at first I was wondering of all the Daring Bakers were making sauerkraut crackers! Only you! And they look like a success!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow...who knew! I was wondering what you've been up to and now I know..never heard of sauerkraut crackers but have to say they look pretty good and good for you giving this recipe a try ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think I have ever bought sauerkraut and I never ever in a million years thought of putting in crackers! Awesome Cher!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Zelnicky are an old world Czech cracker, great served with beer of course!
    I make them every year for a cultural festival and when available use cracklings from the local locker, which makes them even better.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.