2013/08/23

Bourbon-Bacon Butter - you're welcome... (French Fridays with Dorie: Boulevard Raspail Corn on the Cob)

Since when this posts, I will be in the midst of dropping girl #2 off at college, going to keep things short and sweet...


Frankly, I am not sure how much there really is to say about whole ears of corn (husks, tassels and everything), fresh from the farm that have been roasted in the oven until cooked to steamy perfection.

We slathered ours generously with bourbon-bacon butter. If you don't have hot ears of corn hanging around, it is suggested that this might also be worth eating by the spoonful on its own...


I'll just get the formalities out of the way now...

You're welcome.


Bourbon-Bacon Butter
Adapted from Bon Appetit's The Grilling Book

2 slices thick bacon, chopped into 1/2" pieces
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 Tbs bourbon
2 Tbs pure maple syrup
1 Tbs light brown sugar
Kosher salt, as needed

Cook bacon over medium heat in a small skillet until bacon is crisp and fat renders out. Transfer bacon to a plate lined with paper towels and let cool. Reserve 2 tsp bacon drippings.

Add butter, cooked bacon, bourbon, maple syrup and sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer that is fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix at low speed until ingredients are well-combined. Taste. If needed, add Kosher salt in small amounts (1/4 tsp at a time) until desired saltiness is reached.

Turn mixture out onto a sheet of plastic wrap or wax paper and roll into a log. Refrigerate until solid.

Use on...everything. It is said that this will keep refrigerated, for up to two weeks. I am not sure if anyone has kept theirs long enough to test that theory. I know I haven't.

This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie.

25 comments:

  1. Ooh. That sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! I so need to try this! The funny thing is that we made the corn, but I was so excited about the fish we made to go with it that the only photos of the corn are in the background. Not really blog-worthy on their own, so I'll post the corn with the fish. C'est la vie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well you win. I give up. Frankly I had planned to skip this week but now I think I must do an homage to this post right here now. Yup. Its a plan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that my husband will love this butter. I think that after this baby is born, I will also love this butter. Oh, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. bourbon. bacon. butter. Good lord, that sounds like heaven. I must create this asap. thank you from the bottom of my happy little heart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uh, yes, please! Bourbon bacon butter? OMG. Awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bourbon and bacon? Brilliant combination my friend :D

    Cheers
    CCU

    ReplyDelete
  8. The northeast does produce the most wonderful corn! And Ohoooo that Bourbon bacon butter sounds incredible! Thanks for sharing a recipe that I know will be a huge hit in my house!
    Good luck to your daughter as she starts college!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bourbon bacon butter??? I'm in love!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty corn Cher! Wow..borbon bacon butter-hmmm!!!
    We eat corn until it's coming out of our ears this time of year (slight exaggeration!)
    Wonder what the corn is like in Seattle?? I know-random!
    Have a great weekend Cher ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is how we cook our corn on the grill - works great every time! My sister would love the bacon butter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG, that butter Cher! I'm dying to make it, corn or no corn.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the Bourbon Bacon butter. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cher! Yum! Well, I'd have to make modifications to this, but still. . . yum!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This must be a tough weekend for you Cher, having an empty nest. But it's all good
    knowing they are on their way and enjoying it. I am looking forward to trying that
    butter, it sounds delicious. We are enjoying all the fresh veggies before the season ends. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The butter sounds awesome ! I HAVE to try it..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my - that butter sounds amazing! I can see eating it by the spoonful, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oooh, bourbon-bacon butter sounds great! Hope Culinary Kid's transition to college went smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cher, the bourbon bacon butter sounds like quite an interesting addition to this recipe - I am seriously envious of all the lovely corn that you can all find in the US (not such an easy task around here). All the very best to your daughter for her start to her College career!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm officially drooling over the bourbon bacon butter, and your fresh ears of corn.

    The campus looks beautiful - it does almost make me want to go back to those days!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I usually eat corn plain (no butter), but I think I'll make an exception and try the bacon-bourbon butter. Everything's better with butter and bacon. Hope you are surviving the empty nest...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Bourbon-bacon butter???? A stale piece of bread would taste delicious if it was slathered with bourbon-bacon butter. The difference between you and me - if I had come across this recipe, I wouldn't have even considered going to the trouble of making it. Now, after reading about it on your Post, I'm all about putting it together. Just happen to have all the ingredients on hand ---- even the Bourbon. Weren't you just taking Daughter #1 to school? How time flies.........

    ReplyDelete
  23. That sounds delicious. I could eat that butter from a spoon! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ok seriously. THANK YOU. I can not wait to try the bourbon bacon butter and truthfully, I called the week a victory based on the corn roasting alone. Congrats on geting both girls safely delivered. It is a bit of chaos, no ? Older son was to head to Boston tomorrow with hubby but he is still working and very behind so pushed till Thursday (changing schedules just a little while ago). Younger son goes on Sun and attends a full day concert in Philly on Sat. And guess whomTHAT driver is....moi. I look forward to calm and quiet soon enough :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.