2013/08/20

Choose your own adventure (Tuesdays with Dorie BWJ: Raspberry Fig Crostata & Johnnycake Cobbler)


It's a choose your own adventure kind of week around Tuesdays with Dorie.

Way back when I was young Cher, "choose your own adventure" books were all the rage. Whenever we would put our monthly book order in at school (do they even do that anymore???), if there was a CYOA I was probably going to try to get my mom to order it for me. (Or find someone else who bought it and borrow it from them.)

When I would get those books, the first thing that I would do is go to the back of the book and try to figure out which ending I liked. I would then work my way backwards to figure out which path I needed to take to get to the ending I wanted - after that, I would read my way forward through the book and then go back and read it with the alternate ending. Yes, I chose both "adventures".


It was a choose your own adventure kind of week around Tuesdays with Dorie this week. We had our choice between a Johnnycake Cobbler (a peach cobbler topped with a cornmeal/ ginger dumpling like crust) and a Raspberry-Fig Crostata (a fresh fruit filling that was placed inside of a sesame-almond tart dough).

I chose both.


Since organic peaches and raspberries were in season locally (thank you, Saratoga Farmer's Market), there was no good reason to miss out on either one. The figs weren't local (figs aren't exactly an Upstate NY kind of crop), but the local fresh market was carrying fresh figs (which were mine for the taking after I donated an arm, a leg and my first born child...)

Both desserts came together easily. Both were delicious and I am pretty sure that I even followed directions. I enjoyed both the ginger/ cornmeal flecked cobbler topping and the sesame-almond crust (even though it was a pain to work with) - the fruit fillings just sealed the deal. My only almost-beef was that I thought the cobbler needed double the filling to match up with the amount of topping.

It is pretty safe to say that no one in the house was complaining...



This post participates in Tuesdays with Dorie.The recipe for Raspberry-Fig Crostata can be found here. A link to the video for Johnnycake Cobbler can be found here.

25 comments:

  1. Ambitious doing both desserts! I loved the cobbler - but probably because I am all about the crust in cobblers. Your crostata is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on you for making both, they both look fantastic! It's good to get the feedback on the cobbler I wasn't sure if I would like it or not so I went for the crostata.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you chose both! wow! Your crostata certainly does look amazing. I was having issues with the dough so the lattice work did not really materialise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did both as well. I enjoyed the crostata much more. Love the picture of the cobbler in progress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still have to make the cobbler, but the pie I found really amazing, especially the dough, though I use apples instead of figs. I love your story about different endings and reading the back first! Have a great day Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You over-achievers!!! But seriously, both look wonderful...I'm sure your family was thrilled :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made the cobbler this year and the crostata last year (although I can't seem to find any evidence) and I agree, both are excellent desserts. I also thought the cobbler could have used more fruit filling, and probably would have been better with ice cream (but what isn't?!).

    ReplyDelete
  8. so you had to give up an arm, leg and child-glad i went with frozen raspberries! i am thinking about making the cobbler but having seen a few comments about the fruit to topping ratio, i may make half the topping if i make it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVED the choose your own adventure books! I always chose both adventures too, because I didn't want to leave a page unread. Your desserts look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved those books! I wanted to make both desserts too, but it just didn't work for me. I'll be making that crostata another day...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like that you chose both adventures! I went the cobbler route, but all the crostatas I've been seeing have me drooling.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Cher, your family must have been delighted to eat two wonderful desserts. I love the criss-cross on your crostata.
    Congratulations on making them both!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I went the crostata direction this time. Love your photos.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  14. Both desserts! Good job! I think I should have gone with the crostata, as I didn't enjoy the cobbler.
    Your crostata is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had completely forgotten about those book. I loved them too! And good for you for making both desserts. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow Cher I am so impressed. Both recipes, and two success stories. Great story, as always. You are so good at that Cher.

    ReplyDelete
  17. They both look fabulous! Love the idea of figs and raspberries -

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well done for doing both. Your crostata looks amazing! Will have to keep it in mind for when raspberries and figs are available and affordable.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I skipped between adventures in those books to find the ending I liked! So impressed that you made two desserts!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks great - I agree about wanting more fruit in relation to cobbler topping. Those fruits cooked down quite a bit. And yes, some schools still do those book orders, at least our kids' school did it 10 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cher, what a treat for your family, sampling two delicious desserts. We chose the cobbler this time around, but your fig-raspberry crostata looks very tempting and we'll give that a try next.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Impressive that you took both adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  23. lol I do that too Cher. I start to check and read certain books backwards. What gorgeous desserts Cher! I want a piece of your crostata. =)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow both desserts look and sound delicious. Love the cobbler:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I too loved those books and often "cheated". Congrats on completing both and liking both! I didn't do the crostata as I think I like raw figs too much- to cook them down seems criminal.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.