2013/08/06

(Tuesdays with Dorie BWJ: Not Quite Eastern Mediterranean Pizzas)

It's like this...

When it comes to food that is never going to cross my lips, I break it down into two categories:

1) Food I just plain don't like: anything with shredded coconut, most foods with mayonnaise, Jell-o salads.

2) Food that I just can't bring myself to eat: most forms of offal, veal & lamb.



Unfortunately, this weeks Tuesdays with Dorie selection of Eastern Mediterranean Pizzas put one of those "no no" foods front and center: lamb.


The day that the August selections were announced, the episode of Baking with Julia featuring Naomi Duguid making these pizzas aired on television.When she pulled out the minced lamb, I kind of lost interest.... Although, I am sure the freshly baked pitas topped with a lamb/ tomato mixture, sprinkled with pine nuts is tasty and all that - I just can't eat lamb.

I loved the pita recipe - but the pizzas, not so much.

In the spirit of keeping things "Mediterranean-ish", here is how it went down: 

These corn and chard fritters (thank you, Patty!) and this tzatziki were paired with some fresh pita bread - definitely not pizzas, but 100% delicious.


In other news, we took Culinary Kid up North for college orientation this past weekend. Yes, in just a couple of weeks, my baby girl is leaving me... It's a pretty exciting time for her; but man, the house sure is going to be quiet when she leaves.

Here is the view from the student center - I am pretty sure that the view from the student center where I went to college wasn't anywhere near that nice.

Peace out.




This post participates in Tuesdays with Dorie, where a group of home cooks is working their way through Baking with Julia. The links for everyone's Mediterranean Pizzas can be found here.

19 comments:

  1. I wish you could bring yourself to eat lamb - it is SOOOOOO good. Really!!!! But this looks yummy too : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. We didn't use lamb, but ground beef instead. It was a lovely recipe, but not the greatest one I think. Loved the pita though. Yours look real good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even if you couldn't "do" the lamb, your pitas look fabulous! Congratulations on your daughter's next step in her/your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i made mine with a vegetarian ground meat-it was perfect! i eat lamb but just couldn't buy such an expensive package to use a few ounces.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used ground turkey instead and was happy with how it worked. Thanks for the link to the fritters. I'm always looking for ways to use the chard my husband grows, and they sound excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was thinking of making this after reading Jora's post of FFWD, and couldn't bring myself to doing it - I don't like lamb either. I like what you did better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pita recipe is good. Yours look wonderful. I was amazed at how they baked up. I am a lover of lamb, but there are so many other things that could be used. Though I think I liked just the pita more, since we could eat it with anything.
    I think I want to go to college if the view is like that!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could take credit for these pita, but unfortunately, the pita breads shown aren't from the batch I made - all of the pictures of those are on my computer which is out for repair...

      Delete
  8. We've been leaning toward more vegetarian dinners lately, so corn, chard and tzatziki sounds awesome to me. Since the pita was a cinch to make and lasted a few days in my fridge, I will definitely try this. Plus, did you know the pita cooks up great on the grill?

    What a great view from the student center! Pretty much the opposite of UA. Ick. But I suppose we lived to tell the tale.

    My Bean returns in three days -- not that I'm counting the minutes or anything. Keep breathing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes -if it can be grilled, I have probably tried it :-)
      And you are correct the water fountain at UA surrounded by sad mid 20th century architecture does not compare to a view of a lake and a high peak.

      Delete
  9. I love that you used your tzatziki from FFwD with this dish. So exciting for Culinary Kid!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful environment your daughter is headed to! At least you'll get to visit. I predict that after the first couple of weeks, you'll begin to appreciate the peace and quiet. And infrequent laundry is easy to get used to.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was not drawn to the lamb either. I love your fritters and tzatziki twist.

    I want to go to school there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your pita filling looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cher, what a creative take on the Eastern Mediterranean Pizza recipe this week - looks delicious to me!
    Good luck to your daughter - looks like she will be attending a fabulous College!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The corn and chard fritters sound delicious! Good call.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your pita came out perfect, Cher! I haven’t made these yet…but I am looking forward to both the pita and lamb. An absolute favorite of mine! Thankfully my hubby also eats lamb.
    It has been quite hectic around here in the last two weeks…hopefully I will get these done soon! Great job on making this recipe yours!
    Good luck to you and your daughter! It will get better!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Cher-for both your inspiration, those fritters look so good in the pita with your special Greek sauce and for the mention-thanks again ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yummy fritter fillings! I may steal that recipe. Goodluck with the big transition up ahead- both of you.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.