2013/09/13

Truffled Potato Gnocchi (Daring Cooks September '13: Potato Gnocchi)

My love affair with gnocchi is no secret.

I think it ranks up there as one of the top five comfort foods.

It is certainly one of those foods that I could eat several days of week and not grow tired of it.

When potato gnocchi was announced as this month's Daring Cooks challenge, I knew that I would be all over it.



Gnocchi have made their way onto this site on several occasions. I declared my love for parsnips in this parsnip gnocchi recipe.

French Fridays with Dorie had me trying a less conventional version of this dish: gnocchi a la parisienne.

The peeps tried out something new when gnocchi with radicchio, pine nuts and prosciutto made its way to the table.

And last but not least, I entered the world of gnocchi making with these butternut squash gnocchi.


This time around, I tried a recipe from the book Stir by Barbara Lynch.


It was a simple recipe, but the ratios and handling of the dough made for very tender - almost melt in your mouth - morsels.


The addition of truffle salt and truffle oil added a mysterious note to the gnocchi.

The cooked gnocchi were tossed in a small amount of butter and served along side honey roasted chicken and vegetables.


Truffled Potato Gnocchi
Adapted from Stir by Barbara Lynch

2 pounds russet potatoes
Kosher salt (for cooking potatoes)
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp truffle salt
1/2 tsp Kosher salt
2 large eggs
1 Tbs truffle oil

Place the potatoes (whole) in a medium pot (large enough to hold all of them, with room for water to circulate around them) and cover with cold water. Add 1-2 Tbs Kosher salt. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are cooked through (easily pierced with a fork). (20-30 minutes). When potatoes are cooked, drain and let cool slightly and peel. If you have a potato ricer, rice the potatoes onto a lightly floured baking sheet. If not, mash the potatoes and let spread out on a floured baking sheet to cool.

Sift 1 1/2 cups of the flour over the potatoes and gently work the flour into the potatoes (don't knead, just fluff it with your fingers). Sprinkle the salt over the mixture. Gather the potato mixture into mound and make an indentation in the center of the mound. Crack the eggs into the well and add the truffle oil - using your finger tips to combine the ingredients.

Lightly knead the ingredients into a cohesive ball (use a bench scraper to help you fold the dough over). You want the dough to be slightly sticky, but if it is too sticky sprinkle flour - 1 tsp at a time until the dough ball forms. The dough ball will stick together, but still feel delicate.

Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface. Roll the dough (using a gentle touch) to 1/2 inch thickness. Use a sharp knife or a bench scraper to cut the dough into ropes that are 1/2 inch wide. Roll each rope lightly with your palms to smooth out the edges and cut into 1 inch slices. Roll the dough pieces over a gnocchi board or the back of a lightly floured fork to form grooves. Place the gnocchi pieces on a lightly floured baking sheet.

At this point, gnocchi can be cooked in a large pot of boiling, salted water until the float to the top (~5 minutes). Drain well and serve.

The uncooked gnocchi can be frozen and placed in a Ziploc bag for future use. Cook from the frozen state - just add a couple of minutes to the cooking time.


This post participates in The Daring Cooks. Todd, who is The Daring Kitchen’s AWESOME webmaster and an amazing cook, is our September Daring Cooks’ host! Todd challenged us to make light and fluffy potato Gnocchi and encouraged us to flavor the lil pillows of goodness and go wild with a sauce to top them with!

10 comments:

  1. Barbara Lynch is famous for the gnocchi she serves at No. 9 Park. I bet these were phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm constantly adding a few drops of truffle oil to pasta, no matter what the sauce. I'm diving into your plate here Cher! Making them very, very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed. I have zero patience to make gnocchi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was my first time trying gnocchi and I can totally understand the love affair :)
    I can't wait to try it with different sauces and ofcourse there is ricotta gnocchi to add to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum -love truffle oil and love truffle salt!
    Your gnocchi look just perfect-wishing they would miraculously appear in my kitchen tonight-dream on ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your version of gnocchi reminded me that I totally forgot about good quality truffle oil I bought recently in that tiny bottle... darn, I miss the chance to add it to my gnocchi :) Well it's just another reason to cook them again ;) BTW I like your two upper pictures of grated potato with raw eggs - look very artistic in that sharp light/shadow setting..

    ReplyDelete
  7. G'day! Your recipe and photo looks delish indeed, true!
    Wish I could try some now and congrats for also completing the challenge too!
    Cheers! Joanne
    Viewed as Part of The Daring Kitchen Cooks Challenge Sept 2013

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks soooo good! I have never made gnocchi before. You are inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.