2013/10/01

It would have been a heckuva lot easier if... (Tuesdays with Dorie BwJ: X Cookies)

Disclaimer: Shaped cookies are my nemesis, so I am pretty sure I went into this recipe with an attitude.

It would have been a heckuva lot easier if they just skipped the whole "X" thing and called these fig newtons or something like that...

Form the filling and dough into little logs, pat them down, cut them into one inch strips - same effect with half the hassle.

Just saying.


Okay, now that I have all my whining and moaning out of the way, let me tell you what I did like about these cookies.

1) Food processor - both the filling and dough were made up in the food processor. No fuss, no muss.

2) No refrigeration - the dough and filling could be worked with right away. If the shaping part wasn't so stinking fussy, this would have been a fairly simple cookie to make.

3) The recipe was easily halved. I am trying to reduce batch sizes - so was happy that I didn't have to make 5 dozen cookies! (A half batch yielded 36 cookies.)


3) They taste like fig newtons, but without the cakey shell. I like fig newtons, so this was a good thing. I could have done without the chocolate in the filling. I wasn't hunting down orange peel, so I threw in some chopped apricots instead. I was out of marmalade, so I threw in some raspberry preserves.

The verdict: tasted good enough, but more work than I like to put into a cookie.

Peace out.


This post participates in Tuesdays with Dorie. The recipe for X Cookies can be found here. (My recommendation, make the cookies, forget the X!)

15 comments:

  1. Yes, these were time consuming to say the least. I don't mind putting time and effort into something that turns out fabulous, that these did not, in my humble opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were fiddly to put together - but at least they did taste good at the end of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh--that looks like a pain in the ass. I inhale an entire batch of cookies in 50 seconds, anyway--I don't need them to be in cute shapes. The premise sounds mighty tasty, sans X shape, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I skipped these because I just didn't get the whole "X" thing either. I will make them at some point in just regular shapes...

    ReplyDelete
  5. My week is too busy to try this one right now. Perhaps at Christmas! :)

    Glad you went for it though! Your cookies look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The shaping was a pain, but we really liked the cookies. A couple of the TWD bakers made them into bars, which I think is a fantastic shortcut! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, I want to make these now. Cher, you always get me into my kitchen way too early in the morning! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL ... Instead of X cookies, what about O cookies? I think I could've handled "curve and pinch." Like the fussiness of decorating cupcakes (too many mini cakes for my liking, since I'm a terrible cake decorator), cutting out these Xs would've driven me over the edge (or, I would've resorted to cheating by twisting two logs together in their centers). I salute your perseverance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fig newtons where my first introductions to dried figs and went totally nuts over them. I agree that too much fuss takes the fun out of baking, but I'm sure to try these soon! You made great X's Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally bet that you could have left these as logs, and they would have been just fine. Like that 1st pic...mine was very similar. : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. I only made half a batch too and that took ages to shape, I totally agree with your idea just to make them into logs. Overall I really liked these and they didn't last long in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good Post, made me giggle. I did like the no fuss and not having to chill the dough. (that doesn't happen often) I liked these a lot, but they are time consuming. I will no doubt try them again for Christmas and maybe play with the shaping.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello, is this my rogue friend? You followed a direction you didn't like? I'm surprised you didn't just make them the way you wanted to! Just had to give you a hard time - they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totally agree. If I ever make these again I'm stopping after they're shaped into rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your x's look pretty perfect to me, Cher! I was wondering why he chose the "x" shape for a Sicilian cookie that is so simple to make w/out the fussy cuts. Although they look great!My mother-in-law makes her Calabrian version and they are similar to the Sicilian ones. Really simple pockets of delicious figs. I'd love a couple of yours with my coffee to start the day;)

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.