2013/10/25

It's a two-fer (French Fridays with Dorie: Boeuf à la Mode & Muenster Cheese Soufflés)

So, a couple of weeks ago when the rest of the Dorista crew was up to their eye balls in Boeuf à la Mode, I was dangling beef tenderloin by a string in a pot (aka Boeuf à la Ficelle).

That wrong has finally been righted. Today, my friends, we have one great pot roast AND a cheese soufflé.



Confession: the thing that excited me the most about making this cheese soufflé was that I finally was able to use my new porcelain brioche pan. (I know, its not an actual soufflé pan, but with the tall sides, I thought it would work.)

Yes, these are the things that excite me.


Making the soufflé itself did involve a few steps, but nothing too intimidating. The only major change to the recipe was to bake one large soufflé instead of several smaller ones. Oh, and I totally dropped the cumin and traded out white pepper for black.

Okay, so a few changes happened.

The cheesy soufflé paired well with the buffalo chicken pot pie which was a riff on chicken b'stilla (recipe coming soon).

P.S. The brioche pan worked out really well - now that I know this, soufflés are more likely to make an appearance at Chez Cher.


Below is some photographic evidence that I finally did catch up to the pot roast!

 
I mostly stuck with the recipe, but after reading everyone's posts from a couple of weeks ago, I opted to streamline a few steps to make things less fussy. The 24 hour pinot noir marinade and cooking it the day before we planned to eat it seemed to be the perfect combination to one really great piece of meat.
 
 
I had some of these brioche pockets hanging out in the freezer, so I popped a few in the oven while the roast was reheating.
 
It was the perfect no fuss dinner after a long Saturday that was filled with doing other "stuff".
 
Now that temperatures are starting to dip, these are the types of meals that I love to have in my arsenal.
 
Peace out.
 
 
This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie, where a group of home cooks is working their way through Around My French Table. I couldn't find an official version of the pot roast; however, if you are interested in the cheese soufflé, the recipe can be found here.

23 comments:

  1. Yum, yum, and yum! Everything sounds delicious. I adore chicken b'stilla! (And I always sub black for white - I only have room for one pepper mill after all.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never made a souffle, but I have always wanted to. This sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be over at what time for Sunday dinner? ;) Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the picture of the panko covered brioche mold. Now that's one purchase I know I won't be able to justify or easily find room for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really think that all souffle recipes should come with cooking times for both individual and large ones. I'm still too nervous around souffles to start trying to figure out such changes on my own. But yours looks great and just to be clear, I also turn into a total kid when it comes to using new kitchen implements. Hey, if we have to be food nerds, it's good to know that we're not alone:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I LOVE your porcelain brioche pan...and it worked magnificently! I have loved to dine at Chez Cher's this week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Envy you that porcelain brioche pan! So pretty! Great two-fer!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both recipes look delicious. I used american muenster and it worked
    well, but I would like to try this again with the French style. Have a
    happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your Brioche pan & would have used it, too! You've been busy making yummy stuff! We love that roast.

    So glad you got to see Patty (Tricia) again - I just love her (and you!)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your new Brioche pan…those are the things that excite me, too! It worked perfectly! You did a terrific catch up. Beautiful souffle, everything looks delicious, Cher! Have a wonderful weekend, my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an amazing dinner glad everything came together. Love the brioche pans you can make lots of wonderful things in them. Wonder if a popover would work?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great two-fer! And, I love your new pan!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The roat was fussy, but good. I used my slow-cooker. And using the brioche pan for the soufle - genius.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So happy to read this tonight as I'm all set in the morning to start my pot roast (as I try desperately to catch up here.) This looks like one mighty fine dinner and now I'm excited to start up mine! (Oh, and that pot pie...hurry.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know what you mean about trying out the new pan - yay! Great looking so

    ReplyDelete
  16. As I was saying, great looking pot pie and souffle, and glad you enjoyed the roast.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I finally caught up on this one this week, but skipped the soufflés, as they didn't appeal to Kevin and I haven't had much time to cook for anyone else, lately. Your trip through the PNW sounded lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cher, your cheese soufflé looks fabulous in that pretty porcelain brioche pan and everything else looks wonderful and delicious too - it took me a while to find the Munster cheese and I am a day late but I also enjoyed this recipe very much!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have to give credit where it's due - I decided to make a large souffle when I saw your note in ps&qs. But I can't even begin to start on all of your post - buffalo chicken! Can't wait!! I missed the "pot roast", but maybe I'll get back to it - after all, marinating in wine for 24 hours can't be bad! Everything's beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'd say there are lots of good eats chez Cher this week. I'm looking forward to the buffalo chicken pot pie post. The souffle in the ruffly brioche pan is a beauty! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great catch up and loving that porcelain brioche pan. Yes, more souffles need to be made by all. And agreed that with temperatures falling, we are enjoying some great recipes to warm the body and spirit. So great to catch up with you in Saratoga- hubby is enjoying the balsamic tastings !!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like the idea of getting more use out of the brioche pan! :)
    You gave me a serious craving for souffle and pot roast together -- perhaps that is the same craving that brought about roast beast and popover.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your new brioche pan is so beautiful. I can definitely see why you were so excited to break it out.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.