2013/10/18

Things you shouldn't do when... (French Fridays with Dorie: Almond-Caramel Tart)

Cranky Cher is behind the keyboard today.

It probably is not the best idea to post while cranky, is it?

Which kind of had me thinking...what else is it a bad idea to do while you are cranky?



1) Drive - cranky driving is so NOT a good idea. I am pretty sure law enforcement and the general public would agree with me on this one.

2) Grocery shopping - if those slow aisle hoggers bug the living daylight out of you on a normal day, cranky shopping is not something you should be doing. Running over granny with the shopping cart is not smart plan.

3) Work - oh, never mind. Work is a synonym for cranky. (Mostly kidding, but kind of not kidding)

4) Clothes shopping - not the time to run around a crowded shopping complex. Unless shopping is your therapy - then by all means, go for it!

There probably should be a universal item that one could wear when having a cranky day - a symbol to the world to stay away or risk personal peril...

Let's shift gears to something that doesn't make me cranky.

 
This week's French Fridays recipe was Dorie's almond-caramel tart. It starts out with her sweet-tart dough (which is really like one giant cookie). The beauty of this dough, is that you can either roll it or press it into a buttered tart pan (or pans if you go mini like I did).
 
While I am a huge fan of Dorie's tart dough, it was the caramel filling that stole the show on this dessert - it was almost flan like in flavor. If you are a fan of flan (which I am), you are in for a treat. Slivers of almond floating on top of the custard were the "icing on the cake".
 
Since I made mini-tarts, I ended up with a little extra custard which I baked off in mini-ramekins. Frankly, I preferred the custard this way over the assembled tarts (the tarts were good, the custard alone was better...)
 
Caramel custard makes me happy. Maybe I should start keeping an emergency batch in the refrigerator for days like this?
 
Peace out.
 
This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie - where a group of home bakers is working their way through Dorie Greenspan's Around My French Table one recipe at a time...

21 comments:

  1. You're so right! I've been really cranky this week - the government shut-down has had me all out of sorts - not to mention my brother's wife, but that's a longer story than this comment field probably allows. In any case, I totally agree with your list.

    But, it's really hard to remain cranky when you have two goofy cats running all over the place!

    We really enjoyed this tart, too. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I think I would have liked simple ramekins of this custard. Since, you know, I didn't bake the crust anyway....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yeah! Caramel makes me happy, too! Sending you crank free wishes today!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yeah....caramel makes me swoon, too! Wishing you a crank-free day:) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now why did not I think of custard only in a ramekin (I threw away the balance) ;(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a cranky day yesterday but had the perfect activity planned: a lovely fall drive in which I was not the driver! I have not made the tart yet, but now I'm thinking I might try a combination of mini-tarts and just plain custard. Hope you are feeling less cranky today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I understand…I had one of those cranky days myself this week! This tart is definitely a crank buster! Loved the caramel custard! I used up my custard in a ramekin, too! They were delicious! Have a great weekend, Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked this one, but I'm going to try it without crust because the caramel custard was nice, and might shine more without competition from the delicious crust. Hope you have a non-cranky weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely agree with the flan-like description. Here's hoping your weekend lifts your spirits!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, the fact that the crust was basically a big cookie...combined with my love of caramel...made this the cranky antidote. Which I also needed today relative to item #3 on your list :) God this was a welcome victory. PS- Pinterest is actually a good thing to do when cranky.....ask my hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I'm cranky, all I need is a little Parks and Rec. It lit'rally snaps me out of any funk. That and naps.

    I'm so bummed I messed the crust. I think I'll do the custard in ramekins as I've seen in a few posts. Between your flan comparison and Betsy's pecan pie one, this tart can give Amy Poehler a run for her money.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So we could call this the anti-cranky tart? Works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved the custard alone and have plans to make it with several drunken fruits too, since the kiddos would love that! :)

    I hope you have a great (non-cranky) weekend Cher! :) Another thing you shouldn't do while cranky is discuss serious topics with your spouse... that gets us in trouble if we "go there..."

    ReplyDelete
  14. Posting while cranky could be a problem but you managed it quite nicely! I like the idea of a 'cranky outfit'. I think I'll go through my closet and pick out something cranky. That way my family will know right off to approach with caution. I like the idea of the custard on its own and think I will try that soon. Maybe after I figure out my cranky clothes! Have a good week Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Caramel custard makes me happy too! And I'm with you on all those things you shouldn't do while cranky.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cher, cranky or not, the little tarts look quite pretty in their mini tart pans (I am totally partial to all things small...) and since I had a bit of leftover custard myself, I poured it into a small ramekin and baked it "on the side", this way I could test whether the custard had set enough - I must agree with you, this custard baked in a ramekin is delicious - perfect for one of these days...
    Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The cranky outfit, I'm all for it! And I desperately need to catch up with this amazing tart, can't believe how disrupted my blogging schedule has become. Blame it all on work! Cranky me?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Caramel custard makes me happy too and Cher, I can't imagine you being cranky!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have to go back and make the caramel custard again. Just didn't work for me. Unlike Mardi, I did read the recipe but I just missed something. My pastry was fine but ......Your idea of "cranky" makes me laugh. Somehow I don't think you waste much energy being cranky for very long. Your tarts certainly had to bring smiles to the enitre household.

    ReplyDelete
  20. If you are feeling cranky I can understand why this would be the perfect dessert to cheer you up :D

    Cheers
    CCU

    ReplyDelete
  21. After reading through other people's posts I'm convinced -- next time I'm just making the custard on its own. It was delicious! I hope this cheered you up.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.