2013/11/17

Something old (French Fridays with Dorie: Chestnut and Pear Soup)

In the month’s following my Uncle’s passing, my parents have been tasked with the responsibility of emptying out the main house up at The Farm. Day after day. Week after week for the past several month’s peeling away layers of life that have been accumulating since the house was built in the late 1700’s and for most of those years has been in the family.

When something has been around that long, things are bound to get interesting.
As pieces of days past are sorted through and boxed up you get a glimpse of days gone by.
A hand wrung machine for washing clothes.

Large cast iron kettles hanging on hooks over closed off stone fireplaces. .

Farm equipment long forgotten in the shadow of industrialization.

Each piece has a story. A purpose.

 
When I think of chestnuts, it makes me think of things that are old.
A far away place.

Days gone by.

Bucolic countryside - sheep and cows grazing along rolling hills.

Chickens running free in the front yard.

Horse drawn carriages and windy country lanes.

Perhaps, somewhat like life on the farm a couple hundred years ago.


This week's French Fridays with Dorie recipe combines the slightly sweet chestnuts with pears and leeks. Simmered together with some stock to form slightly sweet, but utterly satisfying soup. A dollop of crème fraiche was all that was needed to finish it off.

Fortunately, I had a can of pureed chestnuts hiding out in the cupboard - since chestnuts in any form were no where to be found around here. (Which is very odd, since Thanksgiving is only a couple of weeks away...)

Now, next week's recipe is one that had me fooled from the beginning.

But, that's a story for another day.

Peace out.

XO

Cher


This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie. I couldn't find the chestnut-pear soup published on the 'net, but Dorie shares a Chestnut, Celery Root and Apple soup over here on her site.

11 comments:

  1. Lovely post Cher :) Though now I am intrigued - wondering what on earth next week's recipe will bring in terms of your story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one definitely tasted interesting. I liked it too. Hope everyone is on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful post to go with chef's soup of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cher, a very lovely looking Chestnut-Pear Soup - pure comfort in a bowl - it does have such a wonderful color - crème fraîche as a topping was also rather well received at our house!
    Hope that all are well again - have a good (and healthy) week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This soup looks awesome but I am intrigued definitely about next week's recipe :D

    Cheers
    CCU

    ReplyDelete
  6. The farm house sounds incredible. I always find that stuff so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chestnuts remind me of things that are old too, but think more of old cities like London or New York. I love your soup presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your memories of the farm and its belongings. Glad this soup was a hit...looking forward to seeing what you all think of the potatoes :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this soup also. And, you're right, it's reminds me of my life in Iowa (which I loved, by the way). I kept mine chunky because it is cold in Aspen and I love a chunky soup during the Winter. A friend told me today that when Chestnuts go on sale at William-Sonoma after the holidays, she is going to buy us a supply. I would make this more if I had a cheaper source for chestnuts. Yours looks mighty delicious with your homemade bread.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A heavenly dish to celebrate the New Year.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.