2013/11/08

You could have just told me... (French Fridays with Dorie: Compote de Pommes)

So, I sat down to write this post Thursday night.

And I've got nothing.

Friday morning 5:30 AM.

Nothing.

Lunch time Friday.

Still nothing. No stories. No odd  and winding connections. Nothing.

Writer's block? Stage fright? I don't know.

They say if you can't make it, fake it.

So, I am faking it. 

Here goes...

 
Applesauce.

I made applesauce.

When I saw "compote de pommes", my head imagined a chutney-esque condiment.

Not applesauce.

Don't get me wrong, I love applesauce. I just wasn't expecting to make it this week. (This seems to happen a lot to me with this book - I thought that the salty-sweet potato far was salty, sweet potato far... Not a sweet potato in sight, just plain old white potatoes...)

Fortunately, I had a full bin of CSA apples waiting patiently for me in the fridge.

Bonus: this recipe finally gave me the excuse I was waiting for to spring for a food mill. Not sure why I waited so long. I didn't have to peel or seed all those babies - just chopped them up cooked them with water and a little sugar (and some ground vanilla bean).

When they were all mushy, I ran them through the mill - could not have been easier.

The sauce picked up a pink tinge from the skins of the apples. The peeps loved the sauce.

Life is good.


Since I don't have anything else to say about apples, I'll give a book update:

1) The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling) - a little dark & edgy. Slightly slow reading. Okay, but not my favorite.

2) I'm half-way through Devil in The White City (Eric Larson) - which is the story of the 1893 Chicago World's Fair interspersed with the story of the serial killer H.H. Holmes. I am a fan of Larson's and have to say I think this is one of his best works. Recommend.

3) I am also half-way through listening to The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. Straight up, this is one of the best books I have ever come across. It's a little dark, but really good writing and a gripping story line.




We are crossing the tide from fall to winter up in these parts.

The neighbors have left for Florida.

The last of my porch plants has withered from frostbite.

Next week is the last week of cross-country from Runner Girl.

The people down the road have put up some Christmas decorations.

It may be almost time for a long winter's nap.


In other news, the winner of the Suja Juice give-away (Comment #2) was Yummy Chunklet. YC - I'll be in touch!

 
Well, my friends, I think I just faked my way through a whole post.
 
Whew.
 
Peace out.
 
This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie - where a group of home cooks is working their way through Dorie Greenspan's Around My French Table.

23 comments:

  1. There is not much to say about applesauce Cher, but I think you did a great
    job. Never at a loss for words, and a great story always. Have a
    wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! Love it. I may just have to get inspired about the food mill. I'm generally lazy, and another thing to wash isn't inspiring - that said... maybe.
    I liked this too, but I've made it before, so unlike you I was not fooled, as I have been so many times before. I haven't wrapped my head around the "far". It feels like there's a punctuation problem... for another day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your post. John loved "Devil in the White City" - and almost everthing else by Larson. I'm going to check out "The Goldfinch."

    I mentioned you in my post! I thought for SURE you'd go rogue on this one! I managed to control myself & so glad I did.

    I won't mention that I'm in sandals & without a jacket today.

    Have a fab weekend!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. The applesauce looks great. Glad the peeps liked the sauce. I am still reading the Cuckoo's Calling. I agree, it is slow reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! I won something! Fun! I also struggled to write about applesauce this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find applesauce so appealing, but with its sexy french name, even more so :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish my husband was in town I didn't really understand the food mill process. I peeled and cored and used the mill.. silly. I have been eyeing the
    Gold Finch… now I will check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always enjoy your posts, Cher! And this one is no exception. It was darn cold here today! I went out walking this morning and had to where a hat, gloves and scarf. We are on our way to winter…but there is something so refreshing about the cold weather. I have always loved the change of seasons.
    Your applesauce is looking good…it was quite delicious… and I loved the hint of vanilla.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, weather changing here, too. FIrewood on the porch, heater cleaned up. And applesauce made. Life is good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You were quite successful at faking it! Great post, as always. The food mill will be a great addition to your kitchen. It's also great for making tomato sauce (like with the apples, no peeling or seeding required). It's supposed to snow here next Thursday, but I'm in denial. Fall is settling into place, but I'm not quite ready for winter. Thanks for the book updates. I've heard great things about The Goldfinch. Loved her first book (The Secret History). Haven't read Cuckoo's Calling but currently reading The Casual Vacancy, also good not great. Maybe she should stick to Harry Potter. Have an excellent weekend! (I just realized that I wrote a lot, I must be channeling my Inner Mary!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes faked posts come out so well. I love that you gave us book reviews Cher, you can keep on doing that. Apple chutney, I love that idea to make now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, I think I have writer's block with every.single.post. Glad the family liked this...and thanks for the book recommendations. I've been thinking of ordering The Goldfinch and you've just convinced me to do so!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I find that I have those weeks too. Doesn't seem to matter if I liked the recipe or not, seems to have more to do with my mood than anything else.

    And I just went over to goodreads to add The Goldfinch to my reading list. So many books, so little time. I think we have the makings for a great book club here. If only we lived closer together.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoyed your updates this week, on applesauce, xc and the neighbors :) I too am eyeing a long winter's nap and happy things are quieting down a bit. Need to rest up before the wonderful holiday circus erupts. Of course now I can wow the boys with the homemade applesauce. At least I made it for them prior to them being married and having their own families....."partial credit" I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  15. If that happens again, don't stress - just do a "Wordless" post ;) (though I love all your posts!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cher, your apple compote looks delicious - I love that we both used that lovely same tool, the fab foodmill - I own a vintage one and I really enjoy the funny name that it has in German, that lovely language, it is called "Flotte Lotte" - although I was a day late posting, we really enjoyed the apple compote as well!
    Have a fabulous Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I came, I saw, I read
    and I was entertained! You have me hankering for a food mill now! Yours is the second mentioned I came across about Donna's The Goldfinch...... I am still reading Kate Atkinson's Emotionally Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE Donna Tartt. I am on the library list for The Goldfinch. Three in front of me! Interesting updates:) I haven't spotted any Christmas decorations in the neighborhood but I know someone will do it soon. I want a food mill too! Thank you for the hug. It helps.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on the food mill! I loved having an excuse to use mine with this recipe. I don't know why I don't make applesauce more often - it was easy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOL - yup, it was applesauce. Great post. Love the leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Pink Tinge. Sounds like a drag queen. You know my dear, it was a post like this that gave birth to my haiku thing. Got nothing to say? Haiku. I haven't made this yet. Always a shame to miss the easy ones too. There, I just made it through a comment...

    ReplyDelete
  22. I had trouble thinking of anything to say about applesauce too. I do love your book updates. Thanks for the recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think this is the perfect post for such a simple recipe, actually. I'm looking forward to reading The Goldfinch - such a long wait for a new Tartt! And I've been thinking about getting a food mill for a while, I just don't know where I'd put it...

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.