2013/12/20

I was right (French Fridays with Dorie: Recipe Swap "Onion Carbonara")

There are two things that I have to say about this week's French Fridays with Dorie selection:

1) I finally had a chance to use the steamer function on my rice cooker (why did I wait so long?)

The second thing I have to say (and this is a big one) is...


2) I got to be right!

And that, my friends is the whole reason Dorie's "onion carbonara" forever and always will be a winner in my book.

The recipe for "onion carbonara" came up on a weekend where I was cooking for one - Culinary Kid was sick; I was on a juice cleanse. The Dude was the only one eating.

It went like this: Me: "What do you want for dinner?" Him: "Pork chops and applesauce." Me: "Okay, you are getting onion carbonara as well." Him: "Whaaatttt? That doesn't sound very good, but I'll try it." Me: "It's cream, onions and bacon. What's not to like?" He shook his head. Still not convinced.

I made a quarter recipe (kind of) just in case I was not fully justified in my optimism. Over all, this is a dish that pretty simple in its preparation; but packs a whole lot of flavor into a few simple ingredients. Steamed onions are thickened with a mixture of cream, flour and egg yolk. Some cheese was thrown in there for good measure. Toss a little lot of bacon at the end and life is good.

I was convinced it would be good; however, it had to withstand the ultimate test. Would he like it? (The answer was heartily "yes".)

Score!

Being right made me feel like I hit the jackpot.

I do so love to be right. I don't expect it to happen again any time soon; but a girl can dream, can't she?

Peace out.

This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie. If you are interested in the recipe, pick up a copy of Around My French Table. Based on the eater's reaction, this one recipe alone may be worth the price of the book.

To all of my French Fridays friends celebrating Christmas in the upcoming week, I wish you all a safe & Merry Christmas. Meeting so many of you in person this year is one of the best presents I could have received.

XOXO Cher

18 comments:

  1. Wow, the hubbies all seemed to like this one. Well, it DOES have bacon! Merry Christmas, Cher!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely a case of bacon making all things better :) I loved this (although here in the 36˚C heat I can't fathom it right now!) and will be making it again once I am home! Merry merry Cher XOX

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit that I too was skeptical of this one. Just sounded a bit weird. But you were right:-) Why would I have doubted cream, bacon, and just about anything?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Next time I will try this over pasta. Makes a wonderful sauce. Merry
    Christmas to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Glad hubby liked it. I "sort of" made half a recipe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband liked the idea that onions are lower caloried than pasta… some how it balanced the cream and bacon in his mine. Merry Christmas to you and your family. Hope your fast is over soon?

    ReplyDelete
  7. How funny, Cher! I have so neglected my blog & FFWD. Isn't making people happy the best part of cooking?

    Wishing all of you a beautiful Christmas filled with love! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. You were right and you did a juice cleanse too ? Oh yeah, you rocked that week. Meanwhile I was enjoying Christmas cookies for dinner. Which means I will be on the juice cleanse and onion regime all of January (so worth it though....). Yup hubby went nuts for this one though he did say that he would like to see more bacon next time. The boys are both now how and chaos, wonderful chaos, has ensued. We are staying in PA as we could all use a good rest. Except Nana who is doing the heavy lifting on the holiday meals (go Nana !!!) Hope Culinary Kid is better and that Runner Girl stays healthy. Enjoy that time with everyone home and Merry Christmas to all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you Cher. I love to be right and I enjoy those rare times when I am! I'm glad Joe liked this and hope Culinary Kid is back on her feet soon! I hope you and your family enjoy the holidays.

    ReplyDelete

  10. This was so easy to put together, but we are still deciding whether we like it. Was better the secon day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was good and I made it twice, already!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bacon fixes all I have heard my friend :D
    Wonderful!

    Happy Holidays!
    CCU

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have still never used the steam basket on my rice cooker. And according to Howard, I'm seldom right, so you are having an EXCELLENT week in my opinion. This was interesting though I think I preferred it when I used the leftovers to fill a frittata the next morning. Cher, I wish you and your whole family a very Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Being right makes a recipe all the better, doesn't it? Kevin spent the last week saying, "Well, onions are a power food, so I guess I'll try it." We had it as a main course and he loved it. I hope you have a lovely Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I thought this was yummy too. Though I am not sure I could have stuck with the cleanse after smelling the onions and bacon - good for you! Happy that it turned out so well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is perfect for a man, especially with a serving of pasta. I must make this recipe soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just bought a rice cooker. I hope it has a steam function. Paul didn't think I'd get much use out of it, so I need to use it often so I can be right :-) I'm glad you were right about this recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.