2013/12/13

I would do anything for love... (French Fridays with Dorie: Mme. Maman's Chopped Liver (Not))

To coin a phrase from that great philosopher of the ages, Meatloaf: "I would do anything for long, but I won't do that..."

I still don't fully understand what that song means; however, the sentiment holds true.

Dorie, I love you; I love your books. I made the liver mousse last year, but I just couldn't chop the liver this year. Love has it limits.


It's not you, it's me.

So, liver, I have to cut you loose and move on to something else.

You have been replaced by the earthy, woody mushrooms.

Now, onions, you can stick around. You were sautéed in oil until you started to turn a lovely shade of golden brown. While you were draining, I was able to slip in the mushrooms.


You remember mushrooms, don't you? I know that the two of you were meant to be friends. In my heart of hearts, I just know that you breathed a sigh of relief that you didn't have to share the spot light with "the other one".

Of course, once you were both cooked up, you were seasoned and allowed to hang together for a while in the refrigerator. I used the terrine, just like Dorie said. Does that count for anything?

Judging by the way you tasted on top of my crepes (with a little bit of ricotta), I think I made the right decision. You both seemed really happy together.

Sorry liver, I had to go with the better offer.


Okay, so yes, I know I totally cheated. This is supposed to Mme. Maman's chopped liver, but not chopped onions. But Doristas trade out ingredients all the time, don't they? I totally followed the instructions, just changed out one lone ingredient. And Dorie encourages experimentation. So, using Cher logic, it was all good. Please don't take my Dorista card away - I was following the spirit of the recipe, if not the letter.

The Dorista zone is a "no judge zone", right?

To end on a less suspicious note, here's the book update: The 9th Girl by Tammy Hoag - I mostly liked it, but thought the author forced all the pieces to come together in the end. The Girl with the Pearl Earring and The Last Runaway by Tracy Chevalier. These are the first books I've read by her and I liked them both.

Speaking of reading, its really cold up here - so curling up with a book is a perfect way to avoid wandering out. Of course, I've barely done any Christmas preparations, so I have a feeling that I am not going to be able to hide out in the house all weekend...

Have a great weekend all - stay warm!

Peace out.

This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie.

20 comments:

  1. I totally stole your mushroom idea. Liver was just not happening. I give you free pass on your dorie card if you give me free pass on mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your substitution! And I have terrine envy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad .. you've lost a real chance to change your relationships with a Liver. I guess that's cultural .. I'm from Ukraine :)... Chopped liver with a caramelized onion is a good stuff I'll tell ya... Though I'd gladly issue the imaginary pass for you Cher just because I just love your posts! and mushrooms with onions too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good mushroom pâté - great idea CHer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well yes, a no judge zone. At least publicly. :O How did the final product work?? I was thinking it could be chopped very fine and still very much look like the real thing when you use mushrooms, no?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm judging you... for the fact that I now have that meatloaf song stuck in my head:-)

    And seriously, no judgement. As Julia Child says, "never explain, never..." wait, how does it go again? Well, anyway, something about not apologizing I think. I'm full of rousing good advice today, aren't I?

    Seriously, I think I need to go turn on the radio.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL - I am glad you liked your onions and mushrooms. Better than wasting liver. I have read The Girl with the Pearl Earring and also liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I left a comment for you on the LYL page saying that I was going to try this with the mushrooms ... even bought the mushrooms, but never got around to making it. Seeing that you ate it with ricotta on crepes has me inching closer to the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. No judging. You're right, experimentation is allowed. I'm glad you figured out a way to make this work for you. I love your book updates. I love (most of) Tracy Chevalier. The Lady and the Unicorn is another one of hers that I really liked. Give Susan Vreeland a try too. Also inspired by art, but in a different way. If I haven't told you already, my favorite book of the year is A Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Anthony Marra. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bed the mushrooms were really good! Great idea for a substitution. I think I remember seeing mushroom pate before so you were definitely in on the right track. Bet it was delicious! Stay warm! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cher, I love that very pretty Le Creuset terrine that you used - I am jealous (in a really nice way, of course). And mushrooms...we love them and and spread with chopped mushrooms and ricotta sounds pretty fabulous to me!

    Have a great weekend! Hope all is well with your girls...have the Christmas holidays started yet? Friday is the last day for the kids around here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your mushroom substitution is FAB and love that LC terrine (I want one)!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's not chopped liver but it looks wonderful. Mushrooms and onions are a great combo. We grew up eating liver, bacon and onions, so this was
    perfect for Hubby and I. Have a great weekend and don't get snowed in...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good for you ! And yes, the terrine use alone offsets any creative licensing. There is a fine line to making new things and making something for AMFT that you know no one will eat. Unfortunately for me, my hubby said he would eat it :) Since mushrooms are on my "do not call list" this option would not have helped me. I just kept thinking about the sugar coated French Toast and breathing through my mouth......

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I full on skipped this one. Liver...no thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Actually, while I liked this, your mushrooms sound and look fabulous! I'm right there with you on the prep - that's what's in store for me later today.Maybe if I get that done, I can do some reading too! Hope you enjoy all of your holiday prep!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, you are the clever one. When I began participating in FFWD, I didn't KNOW we were allowed to make substitutions (always the rule follower, I am) until I started reading all your Posts. Now I consider it a badge of honor to do some change-ups only I am not as brave as you.........yet. By the end of your Post I almost believed that Liver, Onions and Mushrooms were real people. I think you've got the beginnings of a book...........please have your people talk to my people about fleshing out this idea. Just finishing Mah's "Mastering the Art of French Eating." It is okay. Ready to begin Alan Weisman's "Countdown" about overpopulation and the earth's inability to support it. A real upper for the holidays!!! Not recommending it. Just reading it. Sorry about sending the cold your way.......not nice of me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I *loved* liver growing up. My mom prepared it for my dad and me with bacon and caramelized onions. {shiver} I have a feeling I probably still like the flavor of liver, but now, being an adult, and knowing what the liver does (hello, bile), I have not touched the stuff in decades (I just can't make the math work - if the liver filters out all the stuff that shouldn't be in your body, then why would I put the liver back in my body? Liver filtering out liver ... {yuck}). The mushroom substitution was very wise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have always loved liver, but I totally understand food aversions! I have it for raw seafood! I love your substitute mushroom pate…looks and sounds yummy! I also love your terrine! Nice job, Cher!
    Another cold day….and more snow….enjoy your book!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. One should ALWAYS be allowed to do exactly as one pleases. Therefore, who's judging? I like mushrooms way better than liver.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.