2014/01/17

All caught up! (French Fridays with Dorie: Christine's Simple Party Soups & Gerard's Mustard Tart)

Today, I dance a jig.

It only took three years and some change, but I finally caught up with the last of the four recipes that the group posted before I joined in October 2010 (although, I have not missed a week since). I am 100% up to date with French Fridays with Dorie. For once in my life, I am finally caught up with something! It may very well be the last time I am caught up with something, my friends; therefore, I will bask in the warm feeling of accomplishment for a brief minute. 

Alright. Enough of that.


Christine's Simple Party Soups. I am not sure what to say about them. They were simple - if you can rough chop and boil water, you can make these soups. I kid you not...
 
Here is the recipe: Bring four cups of water (or stock to a boil). Add one pound chopped vegetables (broccoli, red peppers or asparagus). If you are using a green vegetable, add some zucchini. Simmer until the vegetable is tender (~10-15 minutes). Salt it. Pepper it. Run it through an immersion blender or a traditional stand blender (just be careful). Serve. Seriously - that's the recipe.
 
Now, because I am me (and because the mid-winter produce is sad and not very flavorful), here is how I changed it up. Three cups chicken stock instead of four (I like my soup a little thicker). I added a few roasted cherry peppers from the freezer to the red pepper soup - it needed some zing. Each of the soups received a couple of cubes of garlic scape pesto (also hanging out in the freezer). These whirred up like a dream in the Vitamix (and I didn't have to stress about blender explosion). Stirred a little cream in the end - just because. Paired with grilled cheese sandwiches, this ended up being a rather pleasant lunch. 
 
When it's that easy - whipping up three batches of soup isn't really a chore.

Here is the visual proof that one Gerard's mustard tart has been completed. I have made this one before, so knew what to expect. Personally, I liked this one. Runner Girl liked it. No one else was a fan. I think you just have to like the taste of mustard - especially more assertive mustard.


In other news. Runner Girl is back to college. My laundry basket is relatively empty & the driveway is a little safer. The Polar Vortex went away (thank you). It has been in the 20's-30's most of the week - it feels like spring (even with the fresh snow). I am finally starting to dig into Khaled Hosseini's And the Mountains Echoed. It's been sitting on my Kindle for months, but I haven't been able to get into it (which is weird, because I totally gobbled up The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns).

Stay warm (or cool if you happend to be in the freakishly warm Western US or south of the Equator...)

This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie.

28 comments:

  1. Yay Cher you're all up to date! And I LOVE those soups in a teacup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't usually do much for New Years resolutions, but I did promise myself I'd catch up on all my many delinquent Dorie recipes this year. Problem is that so many are desserts. Not exactly figure friendly. Enjoy the accomplishment of catching up. I might throw a party when I do. Good idea jazzing up these soups. They needed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! I am far from being caught up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think in this case you were a bit more of a Christine than Christine. Your versions could have been served in Dior. The tart, however, is a favorite. I have made it many times since 2010 as it always seems perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good on you for making all three soups. I had visions of drowning in soup so made just one - and then only a serve for one. I am glad you made the mustard tart - it is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on being caught up on all the recipes:) Your soups look delicious. Love your changes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so impressed by your twofer and the fact that you're caught up! Quite an accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very impressive catching up.. too many I haven't made. I will be cooking for at least an extra year to catch up. Love how you brought the soups up a notch.. and yes, normal winter temps feel like Spring. I have been running errands with just a scarf and sweater on it feels so warm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your catching up efforts! You join Mardi in our MVP list. Is anyone else a 100% up to date Dorista?

    Any of theses soups would have been a great match to a grilled cheese sandwich. And a little cream never hurt anyone. I think that was the best part of my warm soup mug last night.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Impressive! I'm starting to think I will never get caught up with this book, for various reasons. Oh, well. The changes you made to the soups sound like definite improvements!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you and Mardi are my heros. I currently have a balance of 4 to make up and I can't seem to work up the energy.

    I just finished And the Mountains Echoed and loved it. Haven't read the other ones yet but they are now on my goodreads "To Read" list. So many books, so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely in the cups, and that tart looks great. I forgot about that one, I loved it when I made it and don't know why I did not revisit it. Good work on the
    catch up, I am trying to go back and make a few that I missed, but I know I
    will never make them all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay, Cher! I think only you and Mardi are at 100%. I have 4 or 5 I haven't done, but most of them don't inspire me, so I'm not sure I ever will (floating islands, blueberry roulade, I'm not sure of the other). I think it's awesome that you are there, though.

    I surprised myself in liking these, even with the sad state of winter vegetables. I can't wait to try them when the CSA starts up again in June. Though I have mountains of root vegetables from the winter CSA to use up too.

    I haven't read the latest Hosseini book, but loved the others. Currently reading Elizabeth Gilbert's The Signature of All Things, which I love so far. Before that, I read 5 really good books in a row. I'll look up the list and email to you later.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on getting caught up! (Gosh, I never even thought of that -- joined y'all in 2011...got some work to do!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on being all caught up! It's such a great feeling. I'm so impressed that you haven't missed a single week since you joined...Thanks for reminding me about the mustard tart. I love mustard, and definitely need to make it again. Your additions to the soup sound great, I definitely thought it needed something.

    ReplyDelete
  16. With your additions, I'm sure they would have been better. I only made the broccoli. I thought that I should have made the red pepper but with roasted...

    I think you should try that tart again in the summer and do the tomato version. I am now wanting to have that! Glad that you are enjoying the break in the weather. Out here in the west, it's gorgeous, but makes me worry about the summer! Oh well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bravo for catching up with every recipe!! I think I have to cook from Dorie's book for the rest of my life in order to catch up with everything I have missed. I wanted to tell you last week but I forgot... I really like your taste in books! I have read all three of them and they are exceptional... happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like your changes to the soups - I think I would have liked them much better that way. And the mustard tart was a surprise favourite for my family. Congrats on being completely caught up! (And here's hoping that I join you in that someday.)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so jealous that you are 100% caught up. Particularly because I feel that I am 150% behind in everything. I love mustard, so that is going to be made this week for lunch - thanks for reminding me that I wanted to make it.

    Glad your weather has warmed up a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think the only recipes I skipped were by choice...I'm so very impressed you're caught up! Yup, these soups needed some Cher tweaking...I needed your little voice to remind me that while I was making them. They were fine, just not anything I'd make again.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Garlic scape pesto would have helped a lot! These were pretty good, but yours sound really good! And congratulations on being all caught up! Wow! That's really impressive. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh man- I am so happy for you - you are ALL CAUGHT UP. (I am so.not.) I am actually trying to find time to go back and figure out which ones I missed :) Hey- you have to start somewhere. Love your soups and love your tart even more. That was one of my favorites but no surprise there as I am solidly on team mustard and have been since I was little. Glad I didn't miss that week, come to think of it. Enjoy the quiet time. Spring break will be here before we know it......

    ReplyDelete
  23. Okay, Okay, I will give you my gold star. Not wasting food for one week does not rise to the level of being 100% caught up with our Dorie. That's really something, Cher, and good for you. I haven't made the mustard tart. I like mustard so I probably will like this when I make it. Your soups look mighty pretty in those gorgeous cups and saucers. Glad you've warmed up a bit and life is returning to some kind of normal./

    ReplyDelete
  24. These look so delicious. I wish I could try them right now

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yup, done a bunch of similar soups myself - sometimes I add a splash of cream at the end though. These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats on being caught up!!! I have about 10 recipes to be caught up, and I really need to start working on them this year. Pesto sounds like a great addition to the soup. I was thinking that garlic would be good in the broccoli version, but pesto would be even better!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congrats on being caught up…That will never happen to me…there are recipes I skipped because I wasn’t going to waste good money on something I knew no one would eat. However, I did make Gerard's Mustard Tart and everyone loved it! I don’t know if I ever posted it???
    Your soups sound wonderful with your changes…I thought the red pepper too strong…and really in need of other flavors. I enjoyed the asparagus, though. Have a great day, Cher!
    I love that you added cream.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.