2014/01/28

What does this week's TWD have to do with Strawberry Shortcake Dolls? (Tuesdays with Dorie BwJ: Vanilla Chiffon Roll)

Here is the question of the day: what does this week's TWD have to do with Strawberry Shortcake Dolls?

When I was a girl, I had the complete collection of Strawberry Shortcake dolls.

There was a not a Barbie doll in my collection, but Strawberry Shortcake...I had Every. Single. One.

I don't really remember how that came to be; it just was.


Now, one of the dolls in that collection was "Lime Chiffon". At that tender age, I hardly knew what a lime was, much less a chiffon. It would be quite a few years before I figured out - like so many other things in life...

This week's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe takes us on a chiffon journey that veers in a somewhat different direction than that of my Strawberry Shortcake days. This time around, chiffon makes its appearance in the form of a vanilla chiffon cake, filled with a chocolate walnut mousse and finished off with candied walnuts.

 
Since I knew that this wasn't going to be a fast mover in my house, I decided to halve the recipe and bake the cake in a 1/4 sheet pan. (Now, I am sure that this is going to brand me as a weirdo or something, but I just can't get behind the whole chocolate mousse thing. I don't get the appeal. However, since The Dude is a fan, I kept the filling for his sake. That being said - I didn't think he needed a full cake all to himself... He agreed).
 
I don't know what to say beyond that. I baked. I moussed. I rolled. I candied. I served. He liked it. There were no significant kitchen episodes. The sky didn't fall. The earth didn't open and swallow us whole.
 
Maybe the lack of story is the real story? Something to think about. Hmmm.
 
On another note, I still have all those Strawberry Shortcake dolls hanging out in a box in my house somewhere. I wonder if their hair still smells?
 
Peace out. XO

This post participates in Tuesdays with Dorie. A link to the episode where Mary Bergin and Julia make the cake can be found here.

17 comments:

  1. The Strawberry Shortcake dolls are so cute!!! I love this kind of dolls...
    Anyway, your roll looks great, just the way it does...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Strawberry Shortcake as a kid. I even had that as my themed fifth birthday party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Strawberry Shortcake! That was my the theme of my fifth birthday party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think my youngest sister had some of the strawberry shortcake dolls...I have a feeling I was into boys and making MY hair smell like strawberries by the time they came out. I was a bit shocked that Bill at this knowing I left the walnuts in..but, like the Dude, he adores mousse. I was scared to do the stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since I have three daughters and Strawberry Shortcake made a comeback in recent years, we've got a mini mountain of those little plastic dolls and their smelly accessories in our house! Adorable, they are. Painful to step on, they *really* are. ;)

    Your chiffon roll looks fantastic! Glad your hubby enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Halving the recipe was a good idea. The full recipe will definitely serve more than six. I don't know why I never think to do that, until I read these posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i missed the whole strawberry shortcake thing-dawn dolls are what we played with, and chrissy and velvet with the retractable ponytails. your roll came out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughter was a fan of Strawberry Shortcake and the Ginni dolls…wow it’s been a long time since I thought of them! Your cake looks great, Cher…mousse and all! I happen to love chocolate mousse…really enjoyed this cake! I’m sure the Dude was grateful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the lack of a story is the story...as in another baking with Julia recipe that was good and not complicated!! Very pretty roll!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can still smell that Strawberry Shortcake hair now…..

    Great looking half roll- smart to half it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like the look of your rolls. My husband....poor guy...didn't get to taste any because he does not eat eggs. I gave away most of it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No significant kitchen episodes? The roll looks great even without them or should I say despite them :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also had Lime Chiffon--loved the stripy green tights and parrot sidekick! Your cake looks great...I would have helped polish it off!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made the whole thing and then froze 1/2. It wasn't easy to make but it sure was tasty. I remember Strawberry Shortcake - my daughter had them

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your cake looks absolutely delicious, a chiffon roll is so gourmet :D

    Cheers
    CCU

    ReplyDelete
  16. I completely agree with you, it was ok, it just lacked something!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like the look of the caramelized walnuts. I wish I had taken the time to make them. I hope you'll like our next dessert better.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.