2014/03/06

Hello, Thursday... (Tuesdays with Dorie BwJ: Buttermilk Scones)

Hello, Thursday. When did you get here?

It's been another mind-numbingly, frantically insane week in the world and I am still not sure which part of me is coming and which part of me is going.

Eventually, the pieces will catch up to each other.

Somewhere between work, power outages, sickness and snow, Tuesday turned into Thursday.

Fortunately, this week's Buttermilk scone recipe from Baking with Julia is nowhere near as complicated as the rest of my world seems to be this week...

Scones are one of my favorite breakfast nibbles (hey, I like them so much I even have the pans...).

The ones I usually make have some ratio of flour, butter and cream - other ingredients optional, depending on my mood or the season (my mood usually being the deciding factor). With a food processor and judicious use of the pulse function, a batch of scones can be whipped up in just a couple of minutes, shaped and thrown in refrigerator for an overnight rest, baked off in the morning and served warm for breakfast with hardly any interruption to life in general.

Anything that can be turned into a minimal fuss operation in my world is an automatic winner.

Marion Cunningham's buttermilk scone recipe is very similar to most of the scone recipes that are out there; however, her recipe replaces cream with buttermilk. Since I am of the belief system that anything is better with butter milk (except for cereal - cereal is totally NOT better with buttermilk), I had no worries about baking up a batch of these.

Feeling experimental, I baked off half in the scone pan with just a light cream and raw sugar topping; the other half, I rolled with some lingonberry jam that I had hanging around.

Fresh out of the oven - these were delicious. A day or two later, warmed up - still pretty good. After that, I couldn't tell you...

Simple. Uncomplicated. Delicious. If only the rest of life were that simple...

Peace out.

This post participates in Tuesdays with Dorie. The recipe for buttermilk scones can be found here.

9 comments:

  1. You made it!! Glad you were able to make the scones. They really are good. Your rolled scones turned out great!
    Hope the weekend is good to you and slows down. I think the snow is done (or is that just me hoping?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to have a simple recipe when life is hectic. I know that baking things like these scones leaves me feeling centred and happy. Looking forward to a simple tartine lunch tomorrow, too.

    May I just say that I'm glad King Arthur is an American company? There are far too many tempting things there. Those scone pans are awfully pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whew. Thursday can be Tuesday in my book… some weeks are like that, right? Hope the weekend settles down for you. I like the idea of throwing these together the night before. That would make it even easier in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your scones looks scrumptious! Good thing it was an easy recipe for your busy week. You really tried buttermilk with cereal? You are a brave one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great that you found the time to bake these in the midst of your hectic schedules. But they really are uncomplicated, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the lingonberry jam idea. They're beautiful, and I bet they were delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Completely agree, so simple, so great!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also agree with scones being the ultimate breakfast food. This looks SO good

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.