2014/06/17

But you gotta have faith... (Tuesdays with Dorie BwJ: Phylloccine Ice Cream Sandwiches)

In life, I often find myself getting ready to tackle a job with absolutely no faith in being successful.

Sometimes, you just have to roll up your sleeves and get to it.

Expect the worst; hope for the best; take what comes.

Just. Like. That.



 This week's Tuesday's with Dorie recipe had me in a "no faith" state of mind. 

Little piles of baked butter-drenched, sugar-dusted, fettuccini-ized phyllo dough were supposed to serve as the base and top for an ice cream sandwich. Sure, there was a picture of it in the book (see page 336 of Baking with Julia); but my inner skeptic figured that there was some kind of baking voodoo behind all that. (We all know that professional bakers are able to accomplish feats that just aren't possible for us mere mortals, right?)

I will get this out of the way, right now... I was wrong. Apparently, little fettuccini-ized phyllo nests are sturdy enough that one CAN layer ice cream between them and pick them up and eat them like a sandwich. The whole deal was a little crumbly, but it worked. 

Oh, me of no faith...

Here's how it went down: phyllo dough nest, a scoop of raspberry cheesecake gelato, another phyllo nest. I skipped the fruit salad and garnished the plate with a sprig of mint and a berry kabob. 

Easy, peasy. Call me Lou-ez.

That'll teach me.

Peace out. 

XO


This post participates in Tuesdays with Dorie. Blogged descriptions of this most unusual ice cream treat can be found here.

15 comments:

  1. Interesting idea for a recipe. I'd have been right there with you in The Doubter's Club. Glad it worked out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No pain no gain - and what a gain it was :P
    WOW!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a great idea to use ring molds! You know, this just might be my excuse for purchasing some. I feel like they could come in handy for so many things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was amazed by how well the phyllo disks held together too. Raspberry cheesecake gelato sounds incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Right?!? They worked! I bet the ring molds helped make them a bit more sturdy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmm....raspberry cheesecake gelato! my disks were super crumbly. I bet the ring molds did help hold them together for "proper" sandwiches--good call.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done, Cher! I had visions of that phyllo tart filled with veggies we made a while back and decided then and there that I'd be happy to skip this week. Another one I can add to the make up week list :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I would have been of the little faith group also. They look fabulous, and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful Cher!! I have to make these…They sound luscious! I have been MIA with TWD. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look delish - and raspberry cheesecake icecream - yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was a bit skeptical at first, and not having the best of luck with my last two recipes I used phyllo, I had doubts too. But I had half a box in the freezer I wanted to use up. So glad I did. Loved these!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ya doubts creep up all the time, but roll up your sleeves and get on. Glad they worked for you. The mint berry kebabs

    ReplyDelete
  13. 3rd time of commenting is a charm, I guess :) Loved the gelato flavor that you have used for the recipe. So smart to use rings too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Doesn't sound like it would work, but it does sound intriguing. Glad it was delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.