2014/06/01

Hi (French Fridays with Dorie: Smoked Salmon Waffles & Piperade Stir Fry)

Hey there.

It's been a while.

All is well. I promise. 

I didn't mean to stay away so long. But sometimes, life happens. 

Like...the company you work for announces an acquisition, resulting in several unplanned trips all over the country. (Headed to the airport again in a few hours...)

Like...deciding to carpet half the house, which means ripping that half of the house apart and painting and sleeping on couches.

Like... Runner Girl coming home from college.

Like...the Daughter of the Dude getting married. No, I don't really have any pictures - it was way too crazy. Sorry. But...if you e-mail me (and if I know you), I can send you a link to the photographers posting.

Needless to say, my kitchen (and many other things in my world) has been sadly neglected. We won't even talk about what may have happened food-wise over the past few weeks. It hasn't been pretty. (Thank goodness it's finally grill season).

However, yesterday the kitchen received a whopping dose of love as I set my FFwD universe back in order one recipe at a time. (You knew I couldn't stay away too long...)




So, let's get caught up.

First up - piperade stir fry. I am not a huge bell pepper fan, but the rest of the family loves this simple saute of bell peppers (I added a sweet onion in on the front end) that was simmered with a little garlic, red wine vinegar and some berbere seasoning (I didn't have the recommended pepper). It could not have been easier. This was a great accompaniment to grilled chorizo (and grilled chicken for my non-sausage enthusiasts).

Next up - smoked salmon waffles. This one was a surprising hit. Savory waffles (no sugar + pepper) were topped with thinly sliced smoked salmon, creme fraiche and finished off with some scallions and chives.The eaters were very skeptical during the make process, but these ended up being a "must make again". Go figure...


With that, I am back on track. Next week's salmon rillettes have already been made, so I hope not to be delinquent again.

Peace out.

XOXO


This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie. The LYL (leave your link) to Smoked Salmon Waffles can be found here and the LYL to Piperade Stir Fry can be found here.

10 comments:

  1. Welcome back! I've been MIA due to life too, and also have a waffle/pepper post in the works. Glad these were both hits for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope life calms down for you. Bell peppers were a big hit in our house, waffles not so much. I am pairing my leftover peppers with sausages tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to see those pictures. I suspect it was lovely and fun and wonderful and that everyone is glad that it's over. I haven't even posted the Piperade yet but I served it over sea bass at a dinner party last week and it was delicious. (And, yes, the Sea Bass was absurdly pricey.) The waffles were a no show - realized that my waffles irons - both the regular and Mickey Mouse one - were still in storage in my storage unit 35 miles away. Have no idea in which box they are resting. See, many of us have been MIA in sympathy to you and Joe. Glad you're back. Travel safely, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see you back on track!!! The voyeur in me would love to see the wedding photos (lizzy.do @ gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew you'd get back on track in short order - you and Mardi are amazing for having done all the recipes. (I have a catch up list saved in Word - I may never get there.) I hope things slow down for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cher, as they say, life is what happens while we're making other plans. You did a great job on both recipes. Hope life gets back to normal soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two great dishes by you to get back in the grove of things at FFwD! Till next Friday's showing, see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope things are finally calming down for you. The kitchen is one of the things I miss the most when things get crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm just catching up, because life happens and it always seems to happen to me. Impressive catch up! Hope the wedding was great - and the carpet/paint things went well also!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've missed you, but it's nice to take in a month of Cher posts in one sitting!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.