2014/06/27

That's how its done... (French Fridays with Dorie: Guacamole w/ Tomatoes & Bell Pepper - kind of...)

There are certain foods that just seem to generate a party wherever they go.

Chips and dip.
Nachos and cheese sauce.
Bread and artichoke dip.
Anything and guacamole.

Seriously.


Put down a bowl of something. Place a bowl of something else to dip that something in.

And. They. Will. Come.

First, one brave soul will dip in.

Someone else will eyeball that brave soul and will join them in dipping.

Eventually, those two people will acknowledge each other. They may even decide to speak.

Once the verbal barrier is broken, the others will come. Before you know it, five people are standing around the bowl dipping, eating and talking.

Party in progress.  Guaranteed.



Unless, of course you are surrounded by people who have no souls. Then all bets are off. I would think that soulless people are most likely zombies. In which case you should be careful - because they may have other ideas on what's good to eat...

Fortunately, Around My French Table does not have recipes for treats that are delectable to zombies. However, oddly enough, this French inspired cookbook does have a recipe for guacamole.

Say what? Yes, you heard me correctly. Guac-a-mo-le. (I was incredulous too.)

Guacamole is one of those non-recipe recipes. Pretty low-tech too - a knife (for chopping) and a mortar and pestle are really all that's needed.

Here's how it went down at Chez Cher.

Guacamole with Tomatoes and Jalapeno
Inspired by Around My French Table

Zest and juice of one lime
1/4 of a red onion, finely chopped
1 small jalapeno, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 tsp coarse salt
2 ripe avocados, pitted and removed from their peel
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste (optional ingredient)
1 tsp hot sauce
6 cherry tomatoes, quartered

In the bowl of the mortar and pestle, mash together the onion, jalapeno, garlic and salt. You don't need to totally pulverize them, you just want to crush them. Add the avocados, lime juice & zest and black pepper and use the pestle to mash it into the onion mixture. Stir in the hot sauce and cherry tomatoes, making sure all the ingredients are blended.

Place in a bowl.

Serve with something.

Have a party.

Enjoy.

Peace out.

XO

This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie.

20 comments:

  1. Guacamole is, indeed, a party in a bowl :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that guacamole creates a party atmosphere - it's very festive! We enjoyed this too, and your whole platter of party food looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL - I agree - dip and something to dip it in creates the "build it and they will come" effect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always liked Guacamole, but you make it interesting. Great Blog,
    looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think zombies would eat guacamole... it kinda looks like what they are made of. Very funny and very true post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right. Whip up a batch of homemade guacamole. Put it next to something, anything, and they will come. I like your assortment of dippers. I also would lay a wager that the guacamole went faster than the hummus. I like hummus but not when there's guacamole around. As you often say, easy peasy. I made the whole thing in my mortar. No dish washing for this girl. Glad you seem to have hit your stride and are back with us. We all missed you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so right! We love guacamole! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Party in a bowl, indeed! Guacamole is always a huge hit! Between that and fresh salsa, you can always draw a crowd!
    I liked this version, interesting with all of the crunch. It didn't last long either...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was a delicious guacamole! Your whole spread looks wonderful…looks like party food to me!! Have a great weekend, Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been to a few parties where there were zombies in attendance. I tend to suspect that they are dragged along by their spouses. In any case, your guac looks delicious and you were not missing out on anything by leaving out the bell pepper. Love to idea to add focaccia to the mix.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Guacamole - yes, yes, a thousand times yes. I don't know what's going on but this year I can't get enough. Whether with just salt and lime, or a boatload of crunchy veggies, there is avocado in my world everyday. If only I could grow them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think guacamole needs a crowd too. I waited to make mine for a party.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post! At my house, I always say it isn't a party without some French Onion Soup Mix Dip and ruffled potato chips, but I think the same argument could be made for guacamole.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your post made me laugh! I will probably use it for a topping in tartine style if I use the second avocado soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This kind of 'gourmet guacamole' is definitely the way to go for a party :P
    The best kind to get the party going!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  16. Everything on your tray looks like good reason for a party.This guacamole certainly put me into a good mood! The perfect thing to cool down in our little heat wave. (I know, I know, Vancouverites are wimps...)

    ReplyDelete
  17. 'tis true. Anything and guacamole is a party. A bowl of it is all you need. All I need for dinner too. Well, I would need a spoon. So there is that.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Is that the fougasse on the tray? I could make a meal of finger foods every night of the week.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.